Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NT5 gizmo?  (Read 6309 times)

mywifeshusband

NT5 gizmo?
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:12:23 PM »

Sometime ago I think I read something about BT having a gizmo of some kind that worked just with the BT NT5 faceplate that boosted the performance a long line. I recall though it had to be a NT5 with the BT logo on it and not one with the Openreach or any other symbol.
As recently I have been plagued with unresetable drop outs,  I have an engineer calling on Monday in a last ditch attempt by them to retain my business before I grasp the nettle and switch to Virgin Cable; (Next door gets 9.98mbps with Virgin Cable - I get 0.987 mbps with BT  - but please say if this is not a good idea! :no:)  I want to ask the BT engineer about making this NT5 alteration and installing the BT gizmo if in fact it does exist.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

PS. Although the BB is unresetable in any of the usual ways, the router, BT Voyager 2500V , often does reset itself if I pick up the phone to telephone anybody. Can anyone explain please why, & if it is significant?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: NT5 gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »

It's called an i-Plate and reduces interference from your PHONE EXTENSION WIRING.
(if you have none it's pointless).
They are now giving them away, well you pay P&P of maybe £2. Check the BT web site.

Edit: £1.20 delivery. See: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_cid=btb_FURL_accelerator
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:17:38 PM by HPsauce »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »

If you have any internal extensions/wiring then the i-plate might help,but if you plug straight into the main socket then its likely not to make any difference.
As regards your router,do you buy any chance have BT Broadband talk set up,that is using a different number(which Bt supplied) so you can get voip calls.
My Bt broadband talk number started 0560*******
I have a BT Voyager 220v router and there is a light that is on when you are connected to broadband talk.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

Hi
quote BT Voyager 2500V , often does reset itself if I pick up the phone to telephone anybody. Can anyone explain please why, & if it is significant?

When you say resets itself do you mean you lose BB connection?. If so then its is significant . Using the phone should not cause any disruption to the Broadband . Sounds like there may be an internal wiring problem . See link below for some help and guidance in checking connection problems .
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Regards Jeff :)
zen user

mywifeshusband

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »

Hi
quote BT Voyager 2500V , often does reset itself if I pick up the phone to telephone anybody. Can anyone explain please why, & if it is significant?

When you say resets itself do you mean you lose BB connection?. If so then its is significant . Using the phone should not cause any disruption to the Broadband . Sounds like there may be an internal wiring problem . See link below for some help and guidance in checking connection problems .
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Regards Jeff :)

No just the opposite! If the router is disconnected from BB, then making a phone call often causes it to re-connect and re-establish a BB link. As it happens my internal wiring is negligible, just a few feet to an extensin phone in the next room.  Thanks for the link though I'll look into it.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:58:49 AM »

my internal wiring is negligible, just a few feet to an extensin phone in the next room. 
Sorry, but that is most definitely NOT "negligible". :-[

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:07:16 AM »

If you take the faceplate off your master socket and use the test socket with a different filter you will prove whether the fault is with your internal wiring or external.

Although Virgin sometimes make over-generous claims about their broadband speeds they are ofter much better than anything BT can provide as their system uses a form of Fibre To The Cabinet and then co-axial copper rather than possibly ancient copper / aluminium twisted pairs.

Kind regards,
Walter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:11:30 AM »

>>>Although Virgin sometimes make over-generous claims about their broadband speeds they are ofter much better than anything BT can provide as their system uses a form of Fibre To The Cabinet and then co-axial copper rather than possibly ancient copper / aluminium twisted pairs<<<

Remember though, that that description applies to Virgin Media Cable which is available in only certain parts of the country, and that Virgin Media National (available across the country) is an ADSL service using the phone lines.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:44:48 AM »

Thanks TD,

And if it's the latter they are probably no more than average in terms of systems fault-finding in conjunction with the BT Openreach and possibly BT Wholesale mechanisms.

("the No. 1 fella" did specify that he had virgin cable available.)

I believe that Virgin claim they have about 50% coverage of the UK via their cable system.
Sadly the other half include those on long lines and are in just the same predicament as everyone else with the BT Openreach network.

Kind regards,
Walter