Broadband Related > ISPs

Source for the Goose but not the Gander. Why?

(1/3) > >>

mywifeshusband:
If umpteen ISPs can provide a service with varying degrees of success over BT wires, why then can't other ISP's offer a service using Virgin cables?
Surely what' source for the goose must be source for the gander?  ???

tuftedduck:
I guess because Virgin own the cables and can offer them to as many or as few other ISPs as they wish.

If you want to use Virgin cables, sign up with Virgin.

UncleUB:

--- Quote from: tuftedduck on August 22, 2009, 09:00:44 AM ---I guess because Virgin own the cables and can offer them to as many or as few other ISPs as they wish.

If you want to use Virgin cables, sign up with Virgin.

--- End quote ---

Thats if you have access to the cable network............ ;)

tuftedduck:
The phone lines are owned by BT Wholesale who rent them to the telecoms providers and the various ISPs such as Tiscali and even BT Broadband.........this by agreement with OFCOM, (or possibly duress is a better word) I understand.

Virgin are not under the same pressure to rent out their cables to other providers

oldfogy:
I'm not sure of what I am about to say, (so please don't shout at me too loudly if it's wrong) but here goes......

Didn't tax payers originally pay for "GPO" cables to be installed, changing the name to BT does not alter that.
Whereas virgin paid for their cable installation (with the help of grants, no-doubt)

So why shouldn't other companies have the rite to use of BT cables albeit at a cost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version