Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Network pop-up  (Read 13587 times)

scottiesmum

Network pop-up
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:05 AM »

Apologies if this is  not in the correct place ..... but  ....

I have a Livebox Wifi connection for the internet now (previously had a USB Modem)    I switch on my machine and am instantly connected to the internet  ...which is FINE !  However I get an annoying pop-up box headed   ' Network Connection '  which tells me a programme wants to connect me to the internet (the programme is something to do with Orange my ISP)   Am I correct in assuming that this has something to do with my old Network connection via the Modem ?    When I look at Network Connection on the Control Panel one of the entries is  for    Dial up    Orange  with a red Cross through it  ...saying   Unavailable, device missing  .......  Again, am I correct in assuming  that this refers to my now de-funked modem?    If this is the case,   can I delete this entry  AND will this get rid of the annoying pop-up ? 

I know this is common knowledge to many but I am still getting to grips with the Livebox  ::)    of which I've no complaints at all ....  but I am nervous of deleting anything I'm not sure of !   I am in awe of the people here who discuss all the line lengths, speeds, etc., etc.,  which is a mystery to me  ???    and thank you for your advice on this.....    :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Network pop-up
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »

First thing to try which hopefully might cure the problem.

Internet Explorer>tools>internet options>connections and put a tick in the box "never dial a connection"

Does that help ?  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:03:21 AM »

Oooooooo   that was quick !     :)      I know this may be silly question TD  but I use  Firefox not IE8  - does that alter things ? 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »

No............IE is an integral part of Windows OS and "controls" various aspects of your internet connection and email client whichever browser or client you use.
These "controls" are not replicated in third party browsers/clients..............so if you want to tweak how your OS connects to the wide world....you use these inbuilt settings...I know, more advanced settings are in your router etc......but the basics are in IE.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »

Open control panel/internet options/connections,then you can see what box is checked.(mine is checked...never dial a connection)

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »

:'(   I've done that twice - but like the first time, the pop-up appears AND the     " Never dial a connection"  which I checked, applied and then OK's  has reverted to the second  choice  "Dial whenever a Network connection is not present"     :'(   

this is the pop up   ....

the only way I can get rid of it off the screen is by ticking  the Don't ask etc., box and then cancel  ...........  it's been doing this since my new installation, but it is now starting to niggle  !!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »

Have you tried calling Orange's technical support ?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »

Could be some drivers or software that were installed with the USB Modem you had.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for it?

Otherwise do as Unc said and ring Orange Tech. Its mostly some software they've installed to stop the setting being changed by accident...
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:02 PM »

Not yet Unc  .....  I thought I'd do that as a last resort   !   I have the name of a very helpful Monsieur there so I may do that  .... BUT  I've just had a thought   ....  when I look at the Internet Connection Box

here
 .....        Would it be any good Removing the Orange (default) setting  which is under the Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings   ?  .....  as this pertains to Dial up   ???   or am I talking ::) rubbish      You can see on here also that my Never Dial a Connection instruction has been changed to the second option.  

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

One more "internal" thing to try before too much tweaking.

Hmmm.........your system wants to connect to a network, it appears.

Are you on a network...........more than one PC accessing the router ?

If not, go Outlook Express (I think you are on XP )   Outlook Express>tools>accounts.............highlight your account >properties>connections.

Look in there for the box "always connect to this account using" and see if it specifies local area connection.......if so uncheck that box altogether so that the drop down menu is greyed out.

How does that look.......any help?  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

TD  ...   I'm going to ask another silly question  now  !     I use Outlook  not Outlook Express   -   does that make a difference  ?     ....    just in case the same applies as your explanation  with IE ... I've gone into OE  and followed your instructions and the box  is already unchecked, and  the drop down menu  greyed out.  

Oooops  nearly forgot  ....     No, I'm not on a network   just Lil ol me !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

Ok.....last "internal" checks.

Can you follow the paths below and make sure all three of these boxes are unchecked.

Outlook Express>tools>accounts>servers> "log in using secure password authentication"
                                                                     " my server requires authentication"
                                                    >advanced> "this server requires a secure connection (ssl)

Let us know  :) 

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »

TD ...   I've just looked and all three boxes are unchecked  :'(    I'm  leaving shortly (hair appointment)  ...... if your fed up of this I'll call Orange or just keep ticking  cancel  !   :)    many thanks for your patience !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 02:37:43 PM »

:hmm:

Jid mentioned above about uninstalling the software for your old modem.............have you done that ?

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »

I un-installed the modem before I installed the Livebox (as per instructions on Livebox)   I assume (again) that this will have removed the drivers as well  ...  if not how do I find where the drivers are  please ? 

Pages: [1] 2 3