Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mandelson launches crackdown on illegal file sharing  (Read 2041 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Mandelson launches crackdown on illegal file sharing
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »

Lord Mandelson launched a crackdown on internet piracy just days after meeting a leading Hollywood critic of illegal file sharing.

The business secretary plans to criminalise the estimated seven million people - one in 12 of the population - who illicitly download music and films over the internet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206901/Mandelson-launches-crackdown-file-sharing--just-days-meeting-record-producer.html
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Mandelson launches crackdown on illegal file sharing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:21 AM »

I wonder how much his greasy little palm got lined this time.......... >:(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But tbh,something does need doing.Its getting out of control and like the article states a lot of this is done by kids using their parents internet connection.
Once again we have the 'this is in breach of peoples civil liberties' brigade spouting off.
How can something illegal be in breach of peoples civil liberties.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:02:14 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »

It seems to me that it's the detection systems which will breach civil liberties. How will they detect illegal file sharing (as opposed to legal file sharing)? Presumably ISPs will have to record more information about their customers' internet activities, particularly anything using P2P, and make this information available to someone; who is that someone?

Personally I would find this intrusion quite offensive. I use P2P quite frequently, and it's all legal and honest, but there would certainly be some sort of marker recorded against me, and this could so easily be misinterpreted so as to make me a suspect. Me and countless others.

I wonder how much his greasy little palm got lined this time.

Even if it wasn't as overt as a brown envelope stuffed with used tenners, there's no doubt in my mind that this is a case of undue influence from a very rich man. >:(
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:58:57 PM »

It seems to me that it's the detection systems which will breach civil liberties.
How will they detect illegal file sharing

One of the most popular ways of detecting file sharers is that "the-powers-that-be" put up fake files then sit back and log all the IP's of people trying to DL it.
Although personally I would call that "ENTRAPMENT"

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »

I use a lot of encryption  when sending receiving files, I have often wondered if that makes me more of a target when they do not know what it is I am downloading/uploading.

The business secretary plans to criminalise the estimated seven million people

Guess they will have a large new prison building program.

Last week the Pirate Party, which won a Swedish European Parliament seat in June on a platform of legal file sharing, announced it would be standing in the General Election.

Andrew Robinson, leader of the Pirate Party UK, who will be standing against Worcester Labour MP Michael Foster, said the proposed laws represented an attack on civil liberties. 'This is about proving to the major parties that there are so many votes to be had in adopting policies like ours,' he said.

I would vote for them, but then I am not voting for any of the main three anyway.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:41:41 PM by BritBrat »

anything