Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Caveat emptor  (Read 2226 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Caveat emptor
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »

I notice simplifydigital has taken a full page advertisement in Saturday's Times offering "... to find you the fastest service at the cheapest price."
Their "deal of the week" is for Virgin's "Up to 10 Mb broadband" with "your happiness guaranteed". The first line of the microscopic print of Virgin's Ts & Cs is "Services available in Virgin Media cabled streets only. Subject to network capacity.  ............." I wonder just how many will fall for that offer and will achieve the advertised speed?

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Caveat emptor
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »

I see that SimplifyDigital are 'Ofcom accredited'. I think that says more about Ofcom than it does about anything else. ???

Caveat emptor indeed.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »

Their "deal of the week" is for Virgin's "Up to 10 Mb broadband" with "your happiness guaranteed". The first line of the microscopic print of Virgin's Ts & Cs is "Services available in Virgin Media cabled streets only. Subject to network capacity.  ............." I wonder just how many will fall for that offer and will achieve the advertised speed?

Well my friend is on the Virgin 10mb pacakage and he is lucky to get 6mb..............so I don't think he's deliriously 'happy'.

Saying that if I got anything near 6mb I would have a grin as wide as................

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »

" I wonder just how many will fall for that offer and will achieve the advertised speed?

Me for one.
Except on the "very odd occasion" when I get "Traffic Managed"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:06:24 AM »

notice simplifydigital has taken a full page advertisement in Saturday's Times offering "... to find you the fastest service at the cheapest price."

Well I thought I'd give it a whirl and see what they come up with & recommended for my line.
oooh you guessed it 10Mb Virgin Media.

So why did I have to put my postcode in?
because there sure as heck aint no cable around here!

It was only when I clicked on the "view full service availability report in your area, did I start to see more choices starting to appear.

Like you say walter I wonder just how many would see that deal.. and think thats what theyre going to get.   I wonder how many will then possibly find themselves on Virgin National.  If theyre lucky it will be LLU, but if not then its IPStream and dealing with their overloaded BAMs. :'(

Caveat emptor isnt warning enough!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker