Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Local vs Remote Stats  (Read 3523 times)

OneNutCode

• Just arrived
Local vs Remote Stats
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:51:13 PM »

Not too sure if this has been covered yet, but just had a quick question.

What is the difference between the Local and Remote line stats? Assuming Local is my machine and Remote is my ISP's DSLAM or am I wrong?

Zoom X5 Modem:

ADSL Status: Showtime/Data
Last Failed Status: 0x0
Startup Progress: 0x0
Downstream Speed: 6137 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 1021 Kbps

SNR Margin - Local: 34.5db Remote: 8.5db
Line Attenuation - Local: 9.0db Remote: 4.0db
Transmit Power- Local: 0.63db Remote: 1.23db

FEC - Local 0 Remote 7968
CRC - Local 0 Remote 0
FEC Intervals - Local 0 remote 2733

On a 6/1 profile but download speeds are abysmal,  can't seem to get over 2Mbps down / 800 Kbps up. Modem is right up at the Demarc in my building with the ISW removed (wanted to ensure everything was covered before I call my ISP) Anything else I should be looking at as well?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Local vs Remote Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »

Hi

What is the difference between the Local and Remote line stats? Assuming Local is my machine and Remote is my ISP's DSLAM or am I wrong?

Its not to do with the machine .it refers to the line .For example
Line attenuation is always higher downstream  ,that is because the higher the frequency of transmitted data  the higher the attenuation so

Line Attenuation - Local: 9.0db is the attenuation on the line downstream (the data that you receive) this affects the synch rate

Remote: 4.0db  the attenuation upstream (the data that you send)

Are the rest of your stats correct ? output power and SNR look odd

SNR Margin - Local: 34.5db Remote: 8.5db     seems very high

Transmit Power- Local: 0.63db Remote: 1.23db  both seem low

I am not familiar with your Modem  , perhaps one of the Gurus can comment.

Regards Jeff

zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »

Hi and welcome

I have to say that the local/remote terminology isn't entirely clear from those figures, but in any case I don't think it's relevant to your problem with actual download speed. If I understand you correctly, you're on a fixed-speed service of 6 Mbps downstream and 1 Mbps upstream. The attenuation is so low that you achieve these speeds very easily, with only very low transmit powers being used.

So the actual download speed is not being limited by your ADSL connection at all. The problem is likely to be elsewhere in the network. It could be that your ISP has capacity limitations which result in a general slowing down for its subscribers, or the network behind the ISP is overloaded. In either case, there wouldn't be anything you can do to improve your speeds - you would need to talk to your ISP.

The only other thing I can think of is the possibility that your PC's MTU value needs to be tweaked. On some networks a wrong (i.e. too high) value can have serious impact on speeds. There's some advice on MTU settings here.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »

>> can't seem to get over 2Mbps down / 800 Kbps up.

As mentioned it seems to be more like a capacity issue with the isp rather than local problem..  as your sync speed is much higher than your throughput.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything