Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Devastated  (Read 6483 times)

mist

Re: Devastated
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »

System Up Time 06:47:39
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 15100 20520 0 288 1434 03:56:06
LAN 10M/100M 126248 84368 0 5413 451 06:47:29
WLAN 11M/54M/270M 33 0 0 0 0 06:44:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3904 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 56.0 db 31.0 db
Noise Margin 9.1 db 18.0 db

Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3904 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                   G.DMT
Channel:                Interleave
Trellis:                ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):       9.1             18.0
Attn(dB):       56.0            31.0
Pwr(dBm):       19.5            12.1
Max(Kbps):      4480            1012
Rate (Kbps):    3904            448
                        G.dmt framing
K:              123(0)          15
R:              16              16
S:              1               8
D:              32              4
                        ADSL2 framing
MSGc:           1               1
B:              123             15
M:              1               8
T:              1               1
R:              16              16
S:              1.1290          9.0000
L:              992             128
D:              32              4
                        Counters
SF:             1429746         1429766
SFErr:          27              2
RS:             97222758                12152008
RSCorr:         13015           25
RSUnCorr:       313             0

HEC:            25              0
OCD:            0               0
LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    223795838               0
Data Cells:     2217109         0
Drop Cells:     0
Bit Errors:     0               0

ES:             22              0
SES:            0               0
UAS:            12              0
AS:             24306

INP:            2.06            2.00
PER:            1.97            1.96
delay:          9.03            9.00
OR:             28.34           28.44

Bitswap:        0               0

Total time = 6 hours 45 min 30 sec
SF  = 1429746
CRC = 27
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 22
Latest 1 day time = 6 hours 45 min 30 sec
SF  = 1429746
CRC = 27
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 22
Latest 15 minutes time = 30 sec
SF  = 1770
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52923
CRC = 1
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 1
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
SF  = 0
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52923
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52982
CRC = 1
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 1
15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52923
CRC = 1
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 1
Showtime Drop Reason:   0
Last Retrain Reason:    0
#
#

mist

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »

I also think it is the line at  still wonky and we are seriously discussing this evening changing ISP to a company that will take on lines like mine with a possible fault.

Hi Mist,

The trouble is, changing ISP won't necessarily make any difference to the sync speed you obtain.  It could also be argued that the more unscrupulous ISPs will be the very ones that are willing to promise you the earth to get your signature on the dotted line, but then provide you with no support at all.

It looks to me like your line was a little unstable when it synced at 4448/6dB, and that may be the reason your SNR target got raised again.    However, the subsequent resync at  3840/9dB should have led to a reduction in error stats whereas - correct me if I'm wrong - you seem to have seen an increase in errors?  That would suggest that something has deteriorated in the intervening time.  We know that the line had a fault in the very recent past so, unless it's a co-incidence, it's tempting to think the line fault has returned again.  Proving it's another matter.

I'm no expert in the area,  but I'm not sure you've got enough evidence to accuse BT of a line fault.  Unless, of course, the quiet-line-test proves otherwise?    When talking to BT, be very careful not to get landed with a charge for an engineer's call out with  'No fault found'.  Still, have you asked BT if they're able to test your line again, just to confirm the fault is still cleared?   I'd hope they'd not charge you just for a line test, but I'm not sure - make you could ask them.

I'm even less of an expert when it comes to REIN issues, but I'd have thought REIN could also be a contributing factor.  Maybe a neighbour has recently changed someting, (say,  a new fridge), that generates more noise than previously.  Unless such interference is excessive there may not be much you could do about it (I know you've already optimised everything that you can).

I've dug myself in beyond my comfort zone here, so I'm hoping some of the Gurus will chip in and correct me if I'm giving bad advice!  :-[

edited to remove some annoying typos.

You are being the most wonderful help, especially to someone who doesn't understand these stats.
This morning the little monitor thingy on my PC monitor again showed fleetingly the yellow warning triangle followed by the red cross to symbolise loss of connection.

I decided just in case to do a factory re-set and enter everything again manually.

The quiet line test seems errrmm quiet but it was intermittent previously.

I e-mailed early today for my MAC and received it within 5 minutes. This was based on careful deliberation and the knowledge that my line appeared excellent until I changed ISP in June, plus being told by the isp that routerstats was no good to use which fact has been troubling me greatly.

I phoned aaisp and asked if they could possibly help, I do understand that my line is very long but based on the fact even I with no knowledge as such can see loads of errors and could not understand the fast/interleavibng business either
I did tell them that I had had phone line problems voltage error and the isp had said they had seen that battery error..so would they take my MAC based on possible problems.
They said yes and would try to help. They are aware that all my line etc was sorted out and replaced etc less than 2 years ago. Those squirrels can cause a lot of damage on countryside overhead lines with trees growing around them. ;D The electric cables for the horses were removed a few months ago butaround half a mile away on the route is a rather large substation....
I know i can never have good speeds etc but would like a good 'plod' along preferably at the best rate possible, still scratching my head as to how it went so pear-shaped on migration in June on old fashioned ADSLMax not the new system.

mist

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »

Ah yes I see.  Most likely as you suggest that interleaving has been turned on again automatically.

@ mist - can you post another set of current stats to see how your line is a the moment?
I have got the stats from the Netgear and used that Telnet thing to get the stats, sorry but those are thec only ones I know how to use.

I have now used 2 routers and tried 3 x RJ11's, plus am directly in the special BT filtered faceplate with no extensions etc. oh and power cable is now draped most inelegantly across the desk going the opposite direction to the ADSL and ethernet wires..

mist

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 04:41:04 PM »

revived this thread to say Thank you to all and show the very happy outcome

REIN mysteriously disappeared as line was changed to new ISP.....then I heard more noise on my phone line.. :( that took a lot of sorting out and BT told me that yes their testing did show a voice problem.Yes well I could hear it, the echo of others on the line...a steady deterioration

Good news followed after a very kindly BT linesman spent 5 whole hours last Saturday sorting out my line, he found a battery error something to do with water in a joint. now hopefully repaired, changed to a Zyxel router as well pre-configured by the ISP to suit their system and hey presto. the following are my stats now, speedchecker run at 3.47 pm today.. :)

noise margin upstream: 18 db
output power downstream: 20 db
attenuation upstream: 31 db

noise margin downstream: 6 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 58 db

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3484 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4896 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »

That certainly appears to be a good result.

Just out of interest, who were / are the old and new ISPs.

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »

>> REIN mysteriously disappeared as line was changed to new ISP.

Weird..

>> .then I heard more noise on my phone line..

but in a way it was good because at least that gives something to act on. 
Noisy line > water on the joint... that will cause erratic adsl.  Touch wood this is it all sorted now :)

Thats a very good sync speed for such a long line. Due to line length you can still expect to see some sort of fluctuation in sync, but that is looking good.

Long may it continue.  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]