Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: unable to connect to preferred wireless network  (Read 9572 times)

chrisedge

• Just arrived
unable to connect to preferred wireless network
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:06:49 AM »

Hi. Here' my prob. PC running XP, laptop xp pro. Orange live box, & on laptop 54Mbps wireless usb  adapter. I set this up at Xmas, somehow & with a lot of luck & guess work & was working OK until just recently. Now when I use the laptop I can connect with the web but after about 5mins I get the unable to message.  Repair won't go past unable to access IP address. I have tried the control panel route & hiit the connect button, I get one lline saying you are connected & another say not connected. Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fozzie bear

• Just arrived
Re: unable to connect to preferred wireless network
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

Hi Chris,
It sounds like you may not be getting a dynamic IP address after your wireless network drops
Have you tried a few basics?
1) Reboot the Orange Live Box. I know this sounds simple but occasionally  routers get themselves in a muddle and a reboot or power cycle will often resolve it.
2) Flush you current IP address by typing(without the quotes) at a command prompt "IPconfig /release" followed after the message by "IPconfig /renew"
3) If that fails try assigning the laptop with a static IP address on the same subnet range as the router e.g 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.0.10 depending on your setup.

fozzie

chrisedge

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:01 AM »

Hi Fozzie Bear. Thanks for help but no luck. I keep getting contradictory messages in choose a wireless network, Top right it says Not Connected, but underneath it says you are currently connected to this network. Madness! It must be one or 'tother. HELP HELP PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fozzie bear

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »

Hi Chris,
Are you still having problems or are you sorted now??

It could be that you are connected to the access point but encryption is not allowing you to transfer data. Are you using the built in Windows Zero Configuration tool or the connection software which came with the wireless adapter. If the latter I have had numerous problems with conflicts between the two and in the end had to uninstall the software and let windows manage the connection.
If you are using Windows Zero Configuration try deleting any saved profiles under the advanced settings, then try connecting from scratch.
If that fails try accessing the Orange box and turn off any encryption and see if you can connect then. If you can try setting up WPA-PSK again and see if the laptop will hang on to a signal now.

good luck
Fozzie