Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: O2(I've done it)  (Read 24062 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: O2(I've done it)
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »

Thanks Walter,

So by doing what you have stated they will not just cut my broadband off before that date?

I ws under the impression if I cancelled my contract then I would have to re apply for another isp to take my broadband over which would result in me being without broadband for some time,where as if I applied for a mac code,then gave it to my new isp,they would then do the migration with very little down time......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »

I am not a lawyer nor do I have any legal training, but I read that mail from BT as follows.

1) Your current contract with BT expires on 1st October 2009....and you must pay to BT the normal contractual costs accruing against you (your monthly BB payment) until and including that date.

2) If you do not cancel your current contract with BT on or before the 1st. October 2009, then you will be automatically "rolled on" into a new 12/18 month period contract commencing on 2nd October 2009.

3) If you cancel your current BT contract 30 days or more prior to 1st. October 2009 and request your MAC 30 days or more prior to 1st October 2009, your contract is terminated on 1st October 2009 without penalty.

4) If you fail to give that 30 day notice (as above) and/or fail to request your MAC within the time scale as above....you will face a penalty of £25.00 in addition to any rental for BB due until 1st. October 2009.

If my interpretation is correct..............cancel now(...today...) your current BT contract citing 1st October 2009 as your desired termination date and also request your MAC today.
That will comply with the 30 day notice of termination period and thus avoid any penalty.

You MAC should arrive within five working days and will be valid for a period of thirty days after issue (do not confuse that thirty days with the contractual 30 days talked of above...they are seperate issues)

When you get your MAC pass it to O2......but emphasise with them that you do not want migration until a date (specified by you) which lies between your return from holidat and the 1st. October 2009.
That way you may pay a small overlap in costs as your O2 and BT contracts may run side by side for a few days, thus incurring an overlap in costs....but that overlap is a lot less that the BT penalty ( especially at the good rate you have negotiated with O2)

UnkyUb....I said that I have no legal training, and the above is merely my understanding of the content of that e-mail. Hopefully someone wiser and more knowledgeable than I will comment.    

edit..Ah, wiser and more knowledgeable kitizens have already responded..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:10:47 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »

That sounds ok TD.

Does the mac code 30 day validation period start from when you ask for it or when you actually receive it

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »

OK..........

I have now spoken to someone in the UK... :clap:

who has told me....I don't have to give 30 days notice,just request a mac code around the middle of Sept,give it to my new isp(O2) who will then arrange to migrate me over to them.

The £25 cancellation charge only applies if you are cancelling your broadband altogether and BT wholesale have to remove that equipment from the exchange.

In my case all that is happening is that my line is been transfered to someone else's equipment.............

So going back to the original plan of action...Apply for Mac just before I go away,then give it to O2 on my return .

This is the main reason why I have to leave BT.....Their Indian support is useless.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:01:07 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »

The MAC is valid for thirty days after it is  issued by BT (in this case)

Oho...just spotted you latest news, unkyUb....great news, and isn't it so much simpler when you can get speaking to someone who has the same language.

That is good news...phew, glad that's sorted... :D..............you can enjoy your holiday a bitty more now..one less niggle out the way...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »

Gosh... they really seem to be making it complicated  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »

Gosh... they really seem to be making it complicated  :no:

I think it is more like poor procedure training at the Indian end. They really don't know everything that they should about the product for which they're giving out advice.

I understood that the £25 charge is when you either cancel while still in contract or actually migrate using a MAC while still in contract.

I'm sure this was brought in earlier this year and also, I think, applies to certain PSTN contracts. There was a lot of posts on various forums at the time.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »

The £25.00 penalty item is causing a lot of confusion by virtue of how it is explained in the T&Cs..........a confusion which may well be deliberate on the part of BT.

I think it revolves round the difference between "cancellation of contract" and "cancellation of service", the first free of penalty, the second invoking a penalty....and that is to ignore the differences between "cancellation" and "termination" and the fact that the definitions of these words and phrases appear to differ depending on which BT tariff or plan you are on.

It may well be a good idea for unkyUb to email whoever he spoke to in BT this am and confirm his understanding of the information he received.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »

It may well be a good idea for unkyUb to email whoever he spoke to in BT this am and confirm his understanding of the information he received.

Well I can email the Indian I spoke to this morning(but that will be like trapping my head in the car door).
The English lady I spoke in the UK,well I have no idea how I would contact her again,even going through the main BT number 0800 800 150 usaully connects you to an Indian.

I think it revolves round the difference between "cancellation of contract" and "cancellation of service", the first free of penalty, the second invoking a penalty

I think that about sums it up TD.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »

I think this is what is being referred to, comes from T&Cs effective 27/06/09 >>>

BT Total Broadband and BT Total Broadband Anywhere price terms

Ending the service

8. When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider, from 12th June 2009 you will have to pay a cease charge of £25.00. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new address.

9. Unless we have made a change to the prices or terms and conditions that is to your material disadvantage or paragraphs 10 and 11 of the BT Total Broadband service terms apply you must pay a charge for ending BT Total Broadband within the minimum period by way of compensation to us. This charge will be calculated by multiplying the number of months remaining in your minimum term by £7.75 for Option 1, £11.50 for Option 2 and £11.75 for Option 3. The charge for Broadband Anywhere will be calculated in the same way using the following values; £17.25 for Broadband Anywhere 50, £25.25 for Broadband Anywhere 150, £27 for Broadband Anywhere 250, and £30.25 for Broadband Anywhere 600. This charge will not be subject to VAT.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »

Thanks Oranged. :)

I am on BT Broadband Option 1.

Edit: The ways things are going I shall be forwarding my Mac code from the Asylum  :silly:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:18:33 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:11 PM »

BT are so confusing that when you ask for your MAC, they'll probably send you a raincoat.... :D

With a bit of luck, ezzer might see this.
I know ezzer is an up-the-pole-in-a-hard-hat engineer, but do I not remember that he was once in the billing/accounting/credit control area of BT......if so, possibly he can enlighten us a bit.  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:20:09 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 05:37:25 PM »

Oh yes Ezzer,hopefully he will be able to enlighten us........... :)

Look at the state I'm in now,go knows what I'llbe like on 'migration' day  :help:

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »

Everything will be fine so do not worry.

Yes it is a bit stressfull but I am sure you will look back and wonder what all the stress was about.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »

Everything will be fine so do not worry.

Yes it is a bit stressfull but I am sure you will look back and wonder what all the stress was about.
Thanks for those reassuring words BritBrat  :)

And tbh without the excellent comments and support from members on here I wouldn't have a clue whats going on.

So thank you all for all your help and support getting me this far...... :clap2:,

Don't rest on your laurels though,I haven't done with you yet......... ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8