Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: O2(I've done it)  (Read 24058 times)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
Re: O2(I've done it)
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 10:43:54 AM »

Not correct, I'm afraid, it's down to the LLU provider

But we were talking about O2 and they are one of the ISPs who don't require you to log-on.

Agreed most LLU providers do.

@UncleUB: I believe that you can specify the actual migration date provided it's not too distant from what the ISP wants. Phone O2 and ask......it's a free call with "proper English" speakers....yet another plus point  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »

@UncleUB: I believe that you can specify the actual migration date provided it's not too distant from what the ISP wants. Phone O2 and ask......it's a free call with "proper English" speakers....yet another plus point

Yes I have found that out,its brilliant to be able to understand what the people at the other end are actually saying.I can call them free from my mobile as well,which to me is a massive plus point as I wear a hearing aid and find the clarity via a mobile brilliant.
Using the landline to call BT Indian support...................Nightmare for me.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »

>> Would the penalty be a whole month or a percentage of that month.?

It wouldn't be a specific penalty as such; all that would happen is that you would have to pay up to the end of your contractual period. As you will have already paid for that last month it won't cost you anything extra, but the last couple of days will be 'wasted' if you change over to O2 earlier than the end of the contract.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »

>> Would the penalty be a whole month or a percentage of that month.?

It wouldn't be a specific penalty as such; all that would happen is that you would have to pay up to the end of your contractual period. As you will have already paid for that last month it won't cost you anything extra, but the last couple of days will be 'wasted' if you change over to O2 earlier than the end of the contract.

I think you are billed a month in advance if I'm not correct.

The thing is I'm on a reduced rate contract (£9.49pm)the normal price is £15.99.I think if I left early BT would charge me the full price....

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »

>> I think if I left early BT would charge me the full price....

I don't see how they could do that. You will already have paid up to the end of the contract, at the agreed price, so you will have fulfilled your contractual obligations.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »

>> I think if I left early BT would charge me the full price....

I don't see how they could do that. You will already have paid up to the end of the contract, at the agreed price, so you will have fulfilled your contractual obligations.

Oh I'm with you now Eric.  :doh:

No matter when I leave I will still have to pay the full contracted period.In my case 12 months.

Edit: I have just checked when BT took my first payment of my 12 month contract( 2nd Oct 2008) so by by reckoning the last (12 th) payment will be taken on the 2nd(or there abouts) of September
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:32:32 AM by UncleUB »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 11:31:01 AM »

And don't forget the 30 days notice of cancellation that needs to be paid.....presuming this applies to BT BB contracts as it does with others.....this kicks in from the day you migrate.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »

And don't forget the 30 days notice of cancellation that needs to be paid.....presuming this applies to BT BB contracts as it does with others.....this kicks in from the day you migrate.

???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »

That's one I hadn't thought of. If you have to give 30 days' notice, then I would have thought that you could email them a month before the end of the contract to give them that notice, and still go ahead with the migration to O2. But I'm at risk of giving false advice, so perhaps others can comment.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »

Tbh,I thought once you had given your mac code to your new isp they do all that.

If the contract expires on 1st Oct(which mine does,not 30th Sept as I had originally thought)and my new line goes active before then.Do I still have to contact BT or will my new isp (O2) sort all that out?

Getting a bit confused now....

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »

You need to check BT T&Cs concerning cancellation procedure.

Some ISPs (O2 for instance) allow you to give 30 days notice in writing to allow the cancellation to coincide with the date of migration.

O2 do not notify the losing ISP when the MAC is used. The BT system is updated ("eventually" in BT parlance) and the losing ISP should access this data to obtain confirmation of migration date but most stipulate that you must phone them to confirm migration and to trigger the cancellation notice period.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »

These seem to be the Ts & Cs as of 27 June 09 although obviously your Ts & Cs will be different.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentFooterPopup.jsp?pagecontentfooter_popupid=13408

I think you're going to have to be patient and ring them up to confirm exactly what is required.

However to be fair, BT do not normally apply the letter of the law if there are extenuating circumstances or you have genuinely attempted to follow the Terms.
I was recently helping an 80 something who is suffering from dementia and signed up to a quite inappropriate telephone contract.
The formal terms would have required a significant termination penalty charge but after explaining the situation the charge was waived.

(I believe BT have some social responsibility code somewhere and, although we might not be euphoric about the quality standards of some of their services, they are not an organisation of business sharks.)

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »

After contacting BT about the end of my contact I received the following reply.Can someone please explain it to me in layman terms please,as I have just come off the phone with BT's Indian support none the wiser as whats required.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email dated 28/08/09 regarding the Broadband contract.

As discussed with you today at 10:10 hours on your phone number xxxxxxxxxxx, I can confirm that the Broadband contract will expire on 01/10/09. If the Broadband service is terminated on 02/10/09 then the last payment for the Broadband will be applied on the next bill dated 01/09/09 or if you renew the Broadband contract for next 12 months then the Broadband rental will be continued on your future bills.

I am afraid there will be a ceassation charge of £25.00 on your October bill, if you fail to provide 30 days notice and request of MAC code before terminating the Broadband service. Please note, failure of either one of the step will result in a charge of £25.00.

Please contact me, if I can help you with anything else.

Thank you for contacting BT.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »

They do like making things complicated.

I suggest you write today, possibly with a recorded delivery letter, stating that you wish to terminate your contract on 1/10/09, i.e. the expiry date of the current contract without any further penalty charges. You have then given them their required 30 days notice.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2009, 11:49:10 AM »

That looks like good advice to me.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8