Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: O2(I've done it)  (Read 24057 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
O2(I've done it)
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »

Well I have gone and signed up to O2 LLU basic 8mb package,subject to me giving them a mac code near the end of September.

I have an O2 phone,so £7.34 a month,12 month contract,with the first 2 months free.

You will know when its time for me to switch over as the forum will be shaking(I will have gone into 'Wuss' mode)

I will hopefully call on your assistance if I'm in difficulties.........

They called me this afternoon and I agreed (subject to me giving them the Mac code).Tbh I was 95% certain to go with them anyway.

Told me I will get 3.5mb(which I took with a pinch of salt).I might see a little improvement,but the price is good and the support is UK based and free via a landline or an O2 mobile,both are good plus points for me.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: O2(I've done it)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »

LLU will be of great benefit Unc as you're on quite a long line aren't you? :-\
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »

LLU will be of great benefit Unc as you're on quite a long line aren't you? :-\

The great wall springs to mind...... :D

Hi Jamie,yes I am....

Line Mode    G.DMT         Line State    Show Time    
   Latency Type    Interleave         Line Up Time    39:09:05:42    
   Line Coding    Trellis On         Line Up Count    1    

Statistics    Downstream    Upstream    
   Line Rate    1920 Kbps    448 Kbps    
   Noise Margin    4.6 dB    12.0 dB    
   Line Attenuation    63.5 dB    31.5 dB    
   Output Power    17.5 dBm    12.2 dBm

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »

Good luck Phil. Try to be a brave little soldier. ;D
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »

Well I thought I had done it...  :doh:

Just had an email asking me for a mac code.(computer generated apparently)So I phoned up to query this.I was told my order would only be live for 21 days from placing it.
I said my BT contract expires on 30 September so I won't be able to get my mac code inside the 21 day timescale.
Don't worry I was told,we will just cancel it and you can then re apply  :o

Re Mac codes....I know they last for 30 days ,so if I ask BT for one on say 2nd September and then give it to O2,will they/can they start my new BB contract before the existing contract(30 sept) ends...... :shrug2:

Edit,do I tell my new isp the date I want to be transfered over,or do they call the shots.(Just been reading info on the Kitz migrating/mac key section.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:08:46 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »

A mac key lasts for 30 days and you can use it at any time in that period.  If you dont use the MAC key then it expires and you can request another from your ISP.

Strictly speaking an ISP shouldnt process an order without a MAC key - although talktalk/aol (FMPF) will do so.

>> so if I ask BT for one on say 2nd September and then give it to O2,will they/can they start my new BB contract before the existing contract(30 sept) ends.

Yes. 
Your existing ISP must provide a MAC key within 5 working days of receipt of your request.
Once you have your MAC, give it to O2 who will then be able to process your order.
Be/02 will then give you your migration date...  which normally is one week later.. although it can be a day or so either side.

So if you apply on the 2nd - BT have to give you a MAC by the 9th.
If you place your order with o2 on the 9th.. then migration should occur sometime around the 16th.

Good luck :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »

Thanks Kitz,
so just to clear up your points......

So if you apply on the 2nd - BT have to give you a MAC by the 9th.
If you place your order with o2 on the 9th.. then migration should occur sometime around the 16th

That would mean me actually moving over before my official expiry date of the 30th Sept...would that incur penalties from BT?

The O2 salesperson who sold me this said if I signed up today i would get the 2 free months offer which only runs till 31st August.So if my order gets cancelled and then I re ordered in September,bang goes my 2 free months........

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »

BEWARE OF CANCELING O2

What is the contract period and how does it end?
Your contract starts on the Contract Date, and the Services start on the Services Connection Date.. The Services Connection Date will be notified to you via your nominated email address and mobile phone number.
After the Minimum Term you will continue to receive the Services until either you or we end your contract in accordance with this clause 7.
You may terminate your contract within the first 14 days after the Services Connection Date (the "Cooling Off Period") by giving us written notice, to be received by us no later than the 14th day after the Services Connection Date. You will receive a refund of all connection and subscription Charges incurred by you during the Cooling Off Period. If you terminate your contract during the Cooling Off Period, you may not be able to request the Services at the same installation address for 6 months after the end of the Cooling Off Period.

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/broadband#

Did you go through Quidco?

If you have not signed up yet take a look at Quidco.

I have just switched to o2 home broadband and as I am an o2 customer I can get home broadband half price at £7.34 a month. Plus the first two months are free, which means for a year that's £73.40. If you go through Quidco you get £60 cashback meaning all in all the broadband is only costing you £13.40 for the year, the contract is only for a year as well so you can just cancel after then.

Or you could help Kitz and go through a link from here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:29:18 PM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 07:24:13 AM »

Hi Britbat,no I don't bother with Quidco.

I did the sign up when O2 sales telephoned me...............Sorry Kitz  :-[

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »

That would mean me actually moving over before my official expiry date of the 30th Sept...would that incur penalties from BT?

The O2 salesperson who sold me this said if I signed up today i would get the 2 free months offer which only runs till 31st August.So if my order gets cancelled and then I re ordered in September,bang goes my 2 free months........

Yes you will because you will need to leave BT before the end of the contract.

Calculate what you will have to pay BT and what you are saving with the free months on O2 and then decide if the difference is acceptable, if it's not then cancel O2.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

Hi all,

have just spoken to BT who have informed me my contract expires on 1st Oct and if I cancel now will have to pay 2 months at the full rate (£15.99).
At present I pay a reduced monthly rate of £9.49.
Was told if I phone up on the day my contract expires they would offer me a lower rate than the £9.49 a month I'm presently paying.Couldn't/wouldn't tell how much though,said it was too far from my contract end.
I said I was thinking of going to O2 for £7.34 a month,so I'm now wondering how low they will go...........

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »

If you keep going at this rate, unkyUb, they'll be paying you..... :lol:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »

If you keep going at this rate, unkyUb, they'll be paying you..... :lol:

Do you think so........ :lol:

Which leads me on to an old Yorkshire saying....

If you buy an item for say 50p/100 of those items for 40p each/1000 of those items for 25p each.

How many do you have to buy before they are free............ :D

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »

I am with O2 and if BT offered me it free I would not take it and I am not even LLU so paying £17 a month.

Take a punt and try O2 you will not regret it.

But sign up and go through Quidco deleting all cookies and cache before you do and you may get £45 in pocket for a new hard drive or what ever you would like to spend it on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:30:05 PM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 06:48:09 AM »

I am a bit confussed about the actual day you migrate to your new isp.

This is from Kitz isp page about migrating.
~ How do I migrate?

To migrate to another ISP you need to request a MAC key from your existing Internet Service Provider.
According to OFCOM rules, your ISP must pass this on to you within 5 working days.

You then simply need to provide your new ISP with your MAC key, when you sign up with them and and select which date you wish to migrate on

When contacting your existing ISP its important that you do not mention the word "cancel" as canceling means removing the adsl service from your line, rather than transferring between ISPs.

Yet Kitz has stated in her above post.
Be/O2 will then give you your migration date...  which normally is one week later.. although it can be a day or so either side.

This has created a bit of a dilemma for me as I am away from 13 to 20 Sept.BT contract expires 30 Sept,so ideally when would be the best date to contact BT for my MAC,and the right date to then give it to O2.
Obviously I don't want my new router to try and be delivered whilst I'm away.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8