Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: O2(I've done it)  (Read 24151 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: O2(I've done it)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 07:26:35 AM »

So long as you do not eneter into a new contract with BT just do it when you get back.

I am thinking about BT (rolling line) contract.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »

What is actually on the O2 installation disc(apart from McAfee).I am told you don't need it/don't use it.......why?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »

You won't need the disc...........unless of course you want the MacAfee.

Power down the PC...........hook up the router to the phone socket and to the ethernet port on the PC and connect the router to the mains.........the lights on the router should be lit up.

Wait a few seconds (about twenty) then power up the PC.

On the bottom of the router you should find a tab showing the IP address of that router along with a default user name (usually "admin") and a default password (usually "password" )

When your PC boots up, fire up your browser and type the above IP address into the browser address bar ( address not search) , that should take you into your router web interface where all the options are laid out (it will ask for these default user name/password).............type in the appropriate box your internet userid and password and that should be it.

Your internet userid will probably be based on your email addy but probably with the addition of the letters ADSL in there ( your ISP should advise)..as an example my email addy looks something like joeblogs (at) virgin.net........but my userid is joeblogs (at) adsl.virgin.net
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:27:15 AM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »

Thanks TD,

so looking at Kitz frogstats page where the O2 router info is

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

I would type in the Telnet 192.168.1.254.....................?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 08:44:37 AM »

That certainly looks like it................and the user name/password is not as I originally posted, according to that page they are :-
Telnet 192.168.1.254
Login name: SuperUser
Password: O2Br0ad64nd

It would still be prudent to check on the bottom of the router when you receive it.....just in case of any changes.

As to why not to use the disc.......it is not needed to get you up and running and may even contain bloatware, tool bars, ISP branding etc that you may not wish.
Of course there is nothing to stop you putting that disc into the reader and whilst not installing, open it and see what it carries...there may be something you want.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 08:55:04 AM »

I might be wrong,but the login name..SuperUser,and password...O2Br0ad64nd is to actually access your router stats...

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »

I have assumed that the user name and password were for access to the router interface, in where you will find the routerstats of course,......but I may very well be wrong.

Hopefully a kind user of the same router will be along some time to clarify. (I use a Netgear, the Speedtouch may be different)

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 09:30:32 AM »

Get your MAC from BT say 12 days prior to the end of your contract - the codes are usually generated pretty quickly and can be with you the same day.  The MAC is valid for 30 days from the date of issue, after which it expires, and you don't have to use it if you don't want to (requesting a MAC doesn't obligate you to anything).

You obviously need to see your current contract out so any cessation of service needs to happen on or after the current contract date.  You could get the ball rolling say a week prior to the end of the current contract and ensure that you choose the correct migration date so the new service is activated after the current contract ends.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »

I'm on O2 LLU using the O2 router. All you need to do is plug the router up using ethernet and switch on......that's it. You can then change to wireless if you want. If you do then change default WEP to preferably WPA2+WPA2.

There's no actual broadband username required for LLU as there is for there Access product (IPStream)

Use the SuperUser (note uppercase S and U) and O2Br0ad64nd (first letter O and second digit 0) to access the full router menu.

My advice would be to ask for your MAC on the 12th before you go on holiday, as soon as you return on 20th you can apply with O2 online and enter your MAC then your router should arrive and you should be connected by the 30th

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »

Thanks for your replies guys,much appreciated. :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »

>>>There's no actual broadband username required for LLU as there is for there Access product (IPStream)<<<

Aha, TD learns more every day.. :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »

>>>There's no actual broadband username required for LLU as there is for there Access product (IPStream)<<<
Not correct, I'm afraid, it's down to the LLU provider and what authentication they use.
I know Be (and presumably O2-LLU who share their network) don't require a logon.
I'm pretty sure that TalkTalk do.
And I think Tiscali do as well.
Haven't set up any others that I recall.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »

Aha, TD learns more every day.

Me too :)

Right,here's my plan of action.

Apply for Mac on 11th Sept.

Go away 13 to 20th Sept.

Give O2 the Mac code 23/24th Sept.

Hopefully up and running with O2 1st Oct

Does that sound about right  ???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »

That sounds like a plan. Personally I would give O2 the Mac code a couple of days earlier and swallow the fact that I might end up with a 2-day penalty from BT for early termination, but that's your decision.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:10 AM »

That sounds like a plan. Personally I would give O2 the Mac code a couple of days earlier and swallow the fact that I might end up with a 2-day penalty from BT for early termination, but that's your decision.

Good advice Eric,taken onboard. (Being a guru makes you more flexible)  :D

Would the penalty be a whole month or a percentage of that month.?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything