Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Printer Recommendation  (Read 22016 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Printer Recommendation
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »

Hi all,

Basically I want a cheap printer that has copier/scanner functions.I'm not really bothered about speed/photo quality.

The reason being,every month I have to sent copies of documents to the DWP.I can get copies done at the local library,but I means taking time to go there and plus they don't open on a Thursday,which is really the day I need to send them off.

I just want to be able to put the documents on the printer and photo copy them......is that possible?

exo

• Kitizen
Re: Printer Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »

Have you considered a fax machine.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SF-370-Inkjet-Fax-Machine/dp/B0018LS0FC

This will scan and make copies plus the ability to fax the documents to DWP.

It is inkjet, replacement cartridges are about £12.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »

Or something like this nice little multifunction, four ink cart and for less than £40.00 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150040

Yes, in the software "toolbox" thats comes with the machine, the copier section will give various "send to " options...HDD location, email client printer etc.........just "send" direct to the printe part of the machine no problem,

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »

Thanks for your prompt replies... :)

Exo,I don't think I would be able to send it direct to the relevant dept.The pre addressed envelope goes direct to the Royal Mail main building in Sheffield and then must be re directed to the internal mail at DWP where it is then forwarded to the right dept.

TD,that looks ok for the money.

Another I have see is the HP 4480

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/category/1970/Multifunctional-Printers

Which is £36.99 -10% = £33.90 and no delivery costs if I pick up from store........would this be suitable,any thoughts........?

or there is the Epson SX200 for £39.99 -10% =£35.99
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:27:34 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »

I am concerned about that one at the moment, unkyUb...........in the specification it states " direct printing not featured"
I find it hard to believe that you cannot copy direct to the printer on the same machine and am not sure what that statement means....off to find a better review. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »

A review of the HP one here TD,which does mention 'direct printing' (print without a PC)?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/printers/review/2009/08/11/HP-Photosmart-C4480---Inkjet-All-in-One/p3

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:55:42 AM by UncleUB »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »

Just a few further comments.

If I bought the above/or any printer for that matter,would I have to uninstall my existing HP printer/drivers/software.Or could I just leave them in case I wanted to connect my old printer up at a later date,and install the new drivers etc without them conflicting.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:17:50 PM »

You can have multiple printers installed (even on Windows :) ). They don't have to be connected or switched on.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »

You can have multiple printers installed (even on Windows :) ). They don't have to be connected or switched on.

Oh right,so 2 usb ports......2 printers?

I've only got one cable though  :D and tbh not enough space.

I suppose its just a case of unplug/disconnect one and then connect the other one up and vise versa

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »

Yes, if you haven't got the space for both then you'll have to swap them over from time to time. But you can leave both drivers installed.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »

Just get a small USB hub, dirt cheap.  ;)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »

Just get a small USB hub, dirt cheap.  ;)

No problem with spare usb ports HP sauce,just not enough desk top space to leave two printers connected at once.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

I've got a printer/scanner on my desk next to my PC and a b/w laser printer the other side of the office, just needs a longer USB cable (5m I think mine is).  ;)

Although my printer/scanner does have a direct copy facility for copying I tend to scan documents (using the software for the unit) then print them on the laser - much cheaper and more robust for mailing/filing.

I think my laser cost about £40 a few years back and so far I've printed hundreds maybe thousands of pages and never had to add toner (though I have a spare cartridge ready). Compare that to inkjet!  :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:04:52 PM by HPsauce »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »

A review of the HP one here TD,which does mention 'direct printing' (print without a PC)?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/printers/review/2009/08/11/HP-Photosmart-C4480---Inkjet-All-in-One/p3

Sorry to have taken some time to come back, unkyUb..............yes that looks ok for direct printing scanner to printer.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 10:27:18 AM »

Thanks TD.  :)

I think for the money (£33.90) it seems a good buy.I have just got to convince Sue now that its her birthday present.  :D

My HP Photosmart 8250 is ready for three new cartridges,so by the time I have spent over £20 on them I might as well get the new printer,and tbh I do very little photo printing now.If I want any photos printing I tend to get a job lot done at once via Snapfish.(which I find offer an excellent service and good quality prints)  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4