Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another Update Thread  (Read 3875 times)

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
Another Update Thread
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »

Last night i noticed my computer was running slightly slower than usual, and i when i went to switch it off it said there were updates.  It normally runs slow when theres updates waiting to be installed so i thought all was well, clicked shut down and they started downloading. 

It said there were 10 updates so i sat back and waited, it got to number 2 then stopped, i got a blue screen saying something about an error and it restarted my pc (which all seemed to load up fine)  I then clicked shut down without updates as it was very late and that shut it down.

Just a bit worried there might be a long term problem?  Could it be a virus or is it just a genuine fault?  What's the best free software to run to find viruses? 

Cheers guys :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Another Update Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »

Morning DeeeeeJ.

Can you post back with your OS and detail of any SP installed.

As to free security software.....maybe I am paranoid but does your post imply that you currently have no protection ?

For details of free secure tools, have a read through this excellent post by dave.m over at CA forums, there are lots of them
http://forums.v3.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142976

My own favourites are Avast anti-virus, A-Squared anti-malware and Comodo firewall but I am sure that all Kitizens will have their own perfectly valid alternatives.

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »

Morning mate, thanks for your reply.

Operating system is XP and service pack is 3.  No, i do have protection, erm avast being one and Norton i believe. 

Haven't tried it today due to being at work (boooo) but like i said it seemed to be working when it briefly restarted last night it just still showed the update icon when i go to 'shut down'.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »

Now then, avast and Norton......hmmm Avast is an anti-virus program.....if your Norton is also anti-virus or if it contains an anti-virus program...then that is bad news.
Have only one av program running.

Which Norton product is it you have ?

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »

Sorry not to sure.

My avast is antivirus and i'm not sure about my firewall off the top of my head. . . (it's the icon in the corner with the little green world like thing)

I always have Avast running but don't have Norton now, that was my mistake.  Why would this be bad?

It seems stramge i haven't changed anything for years and been on any website out of the ordinary?  In fact, when i don't even think i'd been on the internet that day, hmmmm.

Edit - is it AVG i'm thinking of?  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:08:45 AM »

Sorry to have taken so long to come back.

Having two or more real-time av progs running can cause conflicts and slow the system down badly.
How did you remove Norton.......you should run the Norton clean up tool if you haven't done so already.

As to the current problem, you may have a Windows update/patch that has been corrupted at the installation stage.
Folow the procedure detailed here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=5465.0 and try to determine if something downloaded has not been installed, and let us know.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »

For the removal tool:-
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Click the version of norton you have and follow the instructions
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather