Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not computer related ... but ... DVD player query !  (Read 9941 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Not computer related ... but ... DVD player query !
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »

Was chatting to Wee Peter last evening, a man who claims to be an expert in all things TV and connected thereto.

He has seen this "angle" thing on numerous occasions and he advises that it is built into the disc to highlight the fact that that particular disc carries angles of shot that you can play with.
He has not found a way in any dvd machine to kill it.

However he does say that when it appears you can very often get rid of it by setting the resolution on the TV screen to a portrait orientation rather than a landscape one.

I don't know if that is an option you could try..........such an adjustment being, of course, only for the problematic discs.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 09:00:29 AM »

TD  THANK YOU  for that information  (and thank Wee Peter as well )    ......I hadn't  thought of altering the screen aspect  but will certainly give that a go  ...at least I shan't continue to sit for long sessions trying to get rid of the thing.   Thank you again, much appreciated   :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »

Maybe this has already been suggested, or maybe you've already done it anyway, but it's worth confirming...

Have you tried playing a few completely different DVDs, unrelated to the set of discs on which the 'angle' thing appeared?

There's two reasons I suggest that.  Firstly, it would be interesting to know if it only happens on some DVDs, even if it were several in the same set. 

Secondly, I believe some DVD players manage to 'cache' information about the disc they are playing, to facilitate a faster restart if you need to switch off in the middle and resume later.  Playing a few other DVDs may flush that cache.  So it's even possible that doing so would get rid of the icon when playing the original discs again.

7LM

scottiesmum

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »

Hello 7LM   ...    Apparently the 'angle' icon only appears on DVD's that have this pre-recorded facility ..thankfully it's not on any other I've tried !   Your idea of playing  several DVD's that do not have this facility and  that this might 'flush out' any caché  isn't one I'd considered .   I think out of all the DVD's we have, the  Series 2 Gavin and Stacey ones are in the minority (hopefully uniquely  ;D) .  If the day dawns when this niggle is gone I shall let you know.  Thanks for your interest.   :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »

However he does say that when it appears you can very often get rid of it by setting the resolution on the TV screen to a portrait orientation rather than a landscape one.

The only problem with that idea is that you will be "Cropping" the movie at the top and possibly the bottom to fit the screen.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »

The angle icon has been programmed in by the DVD author so that you can use the option if you feel that way inclined.  As far as I'm aware you're stuck with.  I know on the few discs that I have with it, it is damned annoying, a bit like the channel icon on digital TV stations.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »

Floydy, you've made my day  !   at last someone else who has had experience of this AND who also finds it annoying    .....  I think I shall now complain to the BBC   !!!   ;D          Thank you  :)
Pages: 1 [2]