Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not computer related ... but ... DVD player query !  (Read 9948 times)

scottiesmum

Not computer related ... but ... DVD player query !
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »

I'm sorry to bother  you on here, but this is driving me to distraction  .... ::)   on Saturday we were watching a DVD, a 2nd Disc of a two part series.   Whilst watching, I obviously pressed something on the remote (inadvertently)  and suddenly the word ANGLE appeared in the top left hand corner of the TV screen; despite numerous efforts and many hours fiddling with it, I can't get rid of this icon !   I tried the Disc in our other DVD player (which is not an all singing and dancing one like the original)  and the same thing happened, although  this time the icon is a small  camera  !!    Worse was to come ... when I put the lst disc in the DVD players that too had the icon in the l.h. corner .    I understand that some DVD's are capable of changing angles and if that is the case I have a horrible feeling that this will occur on any DVD that has this capability.  I have looked at our handbook and followed instructions in there - pressing ANYKEY and finding the menu with ANGLE on it, but I can't find anything to turn this function off.   I've followed instructions to take the DVD player back to factory settings, which I was convinced would wipe off any previously stored preferences, BUT   sadly no !   We've unplugged the whole chebang and left it for a while before plugging in again and still no difference.   I don't know if I'm correct but it strikes me  that the change is with the Disc  and not the player, otherwise why would the other machine show the icon ?? mind you I am at a loss to know how it's possible to change a disc !)  I have put the query on the Samsung Help Forum but the "experts" on there haven't come up with anything as yet that has solved it.   I was wondering therefore if anyone on here has knowledge of DVD players, discs  etc. to enable me to sort this out please  ?   The machine is a Samsung DVD VR300 (it's one that records as well and it will copy VHS tapes onto DVD's).

Any assistance would be appreciated  ...just sorry it's not computer related .....   well I suppose it is really as these things nowadays are very computerised   ...   many thanks for reading this  !   :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Not computer related ... but ... DVD player query !
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »

You seem to have already covered most points (factory re-store etc)

My first suggestion would be to re-insert the disc (any disc should do) then cycle through the angle option by pressing the same (angle) button repeatedly to see if this will in-fact bring it back to it's original setting.
At the moment your player wants to display the DVD at the angle you have selected.

As for factory re-store settings, I have also encountered times when some personal preferences do not get changed, so this is not an indication of it not working properly.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »

Thank you  for your time    OF  ....     The annoying thing is there is not an Angle button on the remote for the DVD player ...would you believe there are 51 buttons    :-X so it could be any one of 51 that I inadvertently pressed  !!      Getting into the menu where the Angle option is shown,  I have to press ANYKEY ... then I get the  DVD -VIDEO menu ... which lists 8 options including  zoom, audio, title, chapter AND   Angle   ...    scrolling down to Angle I have only two options  ... press either the left arrow or the right arrow, which  simply alters the Angle from 1/2  to 2/2.  In   1/2 mode the DVD is playing normally (BUT with the Angle icon showing)  the 2/2 option then puts a mini screen on top of the actual picture currently on the screen with the cast discussing the scene that it currently showing    :'(  WHY on earth anyone would want to sit and watch that is beyond me.   There is no option to turn the thing off    :-X    I'm tempted to throw every technical item through the window at the moment as  I feel Technology Overload  is taking over   ;D 

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

I really do empathise with you, but there has to be a menu "somewhere" to be able to turn the angle feature off.

I would have thought if you were able to "accidentally" turn it on, then the button to turn it off has to be on the remote without having to go through any of the menu's.

Is there any chance you can remember when it was first activated what you were attempting to do, this might give you a indication of which part of the remote to look at.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »

I find the easiest way to find out how to do things like this is to see if I can find a pdf copy of the user manual online and then search it using Acrobat.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:19 PM »

As I understand it, the "Anykey" feature gives you access to how things are set up on the disc , not on the machine.

To access the machine status, you must access via the "info" button, third from the bottom left, no. 14 in the attached pic.

You might find what you want in there... :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 01:11:39 PM »

http://www.retrevo.com/search/v2/jsp/mytrevo/myTrevo.jsp?page=man

page 45

When a DVD contains multiple angles of a particular scene,
you can select the Angle function

1. Press the ANGLE button when the "Angle" is shown on the screen during playback.
2. Use UP or DOWN buttons to select Angle and use LEFT or RIGHT button to select the desired angle.

However, as you say, the display of the remote does not show a button marked "Angle"
But other indications point to pressing the "Anykey"
So is it possible to disable it from there?

PS.
Don't forget to make sure the DVD button has been selected first.

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »

OF,  This is the 'chapter' in the instruction book dealing with ANGLE ....

I have pressed all the buttons in turn  whilst in the Angle menu - which took me a good hour !  and nothing made a difference ....I thought,  like you, that there must be ONE button that will get rid of it  ... ie the same button, that put it there in the first place   :no:

On the above the Angle is shown as 1/1   ... there is no way of changing the existing  1/2  to 1/1 only  2/2  ..... and there is definitely no option (obvious at least) for turning it off.    I have since posting this morning, spoken to a technician at Samsung HQ in the Customer Support department;  he was flummoxed and suggested I take the machine back to 'factory settings'    I did that -the screen confirmed that the machine had been re-set  ....  but the Angle icon was still showing when I put the DVD in   !!! :-X    I have just spoken to them again, a lady this time, she went through several things with me following her instructions.  She downloaded the same Guide that I have and she agreed that nowhere in the booklet was there any reference, other than the above to 'angle'  !!  She is now passing onto the 'enhancing department '  ???   who will 'phone me back within 2 hours ! she gave me her name and said if I don't hear from them within 2 hours I've to 'phone her back and she'll see if she can then put me through direct....  she said she wants this sorted too as it was annoying her  !!   It's driving me potty  ;D      I shall re-post when  (IF)   I have an outcome  :'(     Thanks again !

I've just had the red warning and seen the  subsequent post re ANYKEY   ....   the only thing that does is take me to the Menu and then as I explain in this post there is no further option and no way to disable it  ....... 

Broadstairs  .....  I have the original manual in French and I also have the downloaded English version   .....   sadly neither language solves it   ;D    thank you for your intrest....

TD  .....    I think    (I'm that confused as to what I've looked at  ::) )     I have already looked via the Info button  .....  but I will certainly have another look at that later  ......  I aim to give my brain a rest (at least from this for a wee while)    Thank you for that  ! 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »

Have you thought about visiting the cinema instead.

UB ready for 'Back Hander' coming his way..........

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »

;D

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »

Isn't all this technology wonderful (when it works) ?

Good luck in resolving the problem

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »

Isn't all this technology wonderful (when it works) ?          mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  !!!!!    ;D     I think we are becoming far to clever for our own good   ::) 

Well I'm no nearer ....Samsung have telephoned back  .....  according to their  'advanced technical ' department   "there is no way of turning this Angle icon  off because it's on the disc for certain scenes" .    In fact it's on the 2nd and 3rd disc the whole way through   :-X   but it certainly wasn't on when I began watching it on Saturday  ... of that I am certain (and hubby concurs !!)  So it's a mystery........  and a very annoying one..     

When pressed, the information button you mentioned TD doesn't give any information about anything relating to "Angle"   :shrug2:   .......       to be honest I have not been impressed with DVD's apart from the fact they are lightweight and easier to store than VHS tapes, but at least with VHS the tape started almost immediately, there were no 'pirating adverts'   no long winded screens where you had to choose play all, episodes  etc ..... ::)     progress    ??

Thank you for your interest everyone .....  despite Samsung's findings,  I shall keep looking because I am sure they are mistaken, and probably just as flummoxed as I am   ;D

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »

Just a thought, but have you talked to the dealer where you bought it from - although having said that, if the manufacturer can't help, it's almost like you're on your own in trying to find the solution.

Once again, good luck and please do keep us posted on any outcome

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »

Have you tried the 'clear' button (no. 27 on the remote pic) when the icon is being displayed?

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

Have you tried the 'clear' button (no. 27 on the remote pic) when the icon is being displayed?

Yes, several times   !  but it makes no difference.   I've tried every combination I can think of, and more besides  ;D     but the little blighter is still there >:(  Thank you for your suggestion......

and thanks Toulouse     ........if I make any headway I'll certainly let you all know ! :)
Pages: [1] 2