Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Routerstats after power-reset re-boot (and remote monitoring)  (Read 5149 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Routerstats after power-reset re-boot (and remote monitoring)
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »

Sorry Kitz if you've mentioned this elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

I discovered the hard way that if you reboot a 585V7 or a 2wire 2700 HGV modem but leaving a laptop running Routerstats, it won't boot up using a power reset as Routerstats seems to hog the start-up logic. However a modem "warm" restart from within a browser does work. Can anybody explain what actually goes on in the two scenarios?

(Yes I know I should re-boot the PC as well, but it's one more complication if you're working remotely !)

I often use www.logmein.com with a laptop to monitor a remote modem from home.
As the Laptop has its own power it can continue to monitor the modem even during a powercut.
I can then take screen pictures at home of my laptop's screen or send myself a webmail with log data included.
I can also access the modems and even re-start those that have the facility.
I lose connection of course but it seems to recover properly.

If I need a speed test I start it going and immediately log off to remove my internet load, logging on again later.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Routerstats after power-reset re-boot (and remote monitoring)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »

>> it won't boot up using a power reset as Routerstats seems to hog the start-up logic.

Thanks for that walter - I wasnt aware that that would occur...  as its not something Ive ever noticed.
I should imagine John may be interested in knowing this too..  as its something to bear in mind.

I cant atm think of any reason why this would occur during a hard reset, but not during one from the gui.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »

Hi Kitz,

Just to confirm one point - all the resets, except possibly factory defaults which I've avoided for obvious reasons, shown in the 2Wire 2700 HGV screen shot work via Logmein.
But if Routerstats is running on the laptop connected to one of the ethernet ports and you pull the modem power lead out, wait a minimum of 30 secs before replacing it, the broadband (sync) light then just flashes ad infinitum. The internet (authentication) light stays off.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »

This is a long shot...  but I wonder if the 'Clear Local Network' has anything to do with it.
I tend to always use a designated IP for my machine that runs things like MRTG and routerstats, so that machine always has say 192.168.1.2.

However, if youre using DHCP... theres a possibility that DHCP will allocate a different IP address to the laptop if say you pull the network cable and replug in and the current lease hasnt expired or been relinquished properly.  Wondering if this somehow confuses the router if a previously authorised cli request (which router stats will be using) then starts coming from a different IP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:25:47 AM »

Thanks Kitz,

I know I'm not being as fastidious as perhaps I should be, but I've just left the laptop and the many many modems I connect to in different places on defaults and only investigate if I don't obtain the modem data.

I've observed this lock-up feature on 2Wire 2700 HGV and 585V7s but I've yet to try several netgear ones and Linksys and X-DSL ones.
The 2Wire does give a lot of useful data but it doesn't give me the log data "PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ERX3.Reading2)" that I've only found on the 585V7 so I carry an armoury of modems around with me.

K R
Walter