Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Updates  (Read 8262 times)

sonicview66

• Just arrived
Windows Updates
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »

My laptop has stopped downloading Windows Updates.  It returns an error code 8007371C.  What should I do?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Windows Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »

That error code normally means that one (or more) of the downloaded and installed updates is corrupted in some way and that it is "blocking" the downloading of any further updates.

I cannot recall if you are using XP or Vista, but the process should be the same on both.
You need to go manually to the Windows Update site ( open Internet Explorer>tools>update) and in there open the menu for your "download history". From that, try to identify the last updates to be downloaded succesfully before the error code started to appear.
Then come off line, go into control panel>add remove programs....make sure the box is ticked "show updates" and review the list of Windows updates. Try to establish which updates came after the error code started to appear (compare the download history as above with the installed updates and try to establish if any have been downloaded but not installed...if you find one that is the problem) otherwise............if you can find them, uninstall them and try to update again, possibly doing that manually so you can check progress and identify if there is any further problem and, if so, which update is causing the problem.

sonicview66

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »

Tuffteduck
Thanks for your help, which has produced some interesting facts.  The laptop is actually used by my niece and from the information it seems that she has not understood the problem of the updates.
However, the following updates failed repeatedly since end of April to present day :- KB960803,Kb959426,Kb956572 and several others.  Ones that have been successful are mainly Windows Defender updates.  I also noticed that Windows Vista SP1 failed to instal on 2 separate attempts.  I have actually got a SP1 CD, should I try installing from that, then see if the downloads will work.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
sonicview66

OS is Vista Home Edition
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:40:28 PM by sonicview66 »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »

Oh dear, lots of errors over the period.  :(

I assume that your niece has done her anti-nasty scans to make sure that there is nothing lurking around and upsetting the system ?

Certainly try SP1 from the disc, doing so may just clear out or repair anything corrupt in there, and then try the rest again as you suggest.
I know it is a bit of a chore to do so, but it may help to be in attendance when it is installing...at least then if it goes wrong you will be able to spot when and possibly why.

I must confess I don't like doing auto updates....much prefer to download and save them and then install a small batch at a time......easier to identify any bad ones if they occur. Again a chore, but good for the peace of mind.  :)

In the meantime. TD trundles off to have a look through the Microsoft knowledge bases armed with these KB numbers in case there is a known issue with any of them, in which case there may be a fix.......typical Microsoft..issuing patches to repair patches.  ???

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »

And remember Vista SP2 has been out for a while........

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »

Sonicview66............the problem patch appears to be KB959426

If that appears in your add/remove programs list...uninstal it.

Then I suggest that  after installing SP1 from disc you go back manually to the update site (internet explore>tool>windows updates) and let it scan for any missing updates. It will offer various patches.............accept them but if KB 959426 is on the list of offers, decline it and let the others download and install.

Let us know how you get on.  :)

sonicview66

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »

Hi Tuffteduck
Thanks for your help.  I eventually decided to use the recovery disc and reinstall everything.  It seems to have worked.  The updates that you thought was the culprit was in fact a batch of 4, which seemed to give several others the same problem.
If you would like another problem to keep you out of mischief, try this.
Problems accessing the following website addresses.
www.blackviper.com
www.snipurl.com/exd8m (This one is used extensively in computer magazines at the end of the article)
regards
sonicview66

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 03:10:07 AM »

No problem accessing either of the 2 sites listed above using FF.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:14 AM »

Morning sonicview66

Glad that your original problems seem to be cured. :)

As to the above links, like OF I can access both without problem, both in Opera and IE.

Which browser are you using, and do you get any error messages ?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 06:57:06 AM »

Both open for me using FF 3.5.2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »

Problems accessing the following website addresses.
www.blackviper.com
www.snipurl.com/exd8m (This one is used extensively in computer magazines at the end of the article)

I notice that blackviper is blocking ICMP on their server.. and noticing that you are with TT..  it could well be an MTU problem.
Try setting your MTU to 1400... 
........ or alternatively it could be your router set to block pings.
Turning off ICMP pings stops Path MTU from working properly.. causing the internet to break for some sites.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything