Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hard drive diagnostic tool  (Read 16888 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Hard drive diagnostic tool
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 05:16:43 PM »

So, nothing wrong with it. Probably a fan making the noise.  8)
Good point and well worth checking any/all internal fans before going much further.

However.
Did you have any success in locating the panel that is covering the HDD?
What if any sort of external media "IE, USB drive" do you have that you can store the "Image File/s" onto?
How much of the current C: drive is actually programs and operating system files?
Do you have a Windows XP install disc?
And do you feel competent in replacing the HDD?

Changing the actual HDD should not be a problem, the problem I see you having is transferring the original data back to the new HDD.
Although places such as Maplin Electronics sell the cables and connectors that will allow you to do that, but again it's another cost.

However.
This is the way that I would go about changing and re-installing the data.

1. Create a "Image File" of each separate partition onto external media.
(Really speaking you only need the C: drive Image file which will be quicker and smaller than creating a Disc Clone Image)
The files from the D: drive you can transfer at a later date if you can connect the old drive to the laptop via a USB cable.
As for the files from the hidden recovery partition, you need to decide if you want to keep them.

2. Install the new HDD.

3. Decide on what size partitions you want to have on the new HDD, then create the new partitions and format them using either the Windows disc or even a DOS boot-disc.
(Although the Windows disc would be my first choice as I feel comfortable using it)

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

nomeames

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »

1. I haven't opened the computer yet as the noise mysteriously disappeared.  :-X
2. I have external hard drive (350 GB) to store "image file(s)".
3. Drivers=250MB, Prog Files=1.7GB, Windows=3.9GB.
4. I don;t have windows install CD. It came in the hidden partition.
5. Tbh, I don;t feel competent enough. But I might give it a go.  ::)

For the time being I would wait and see if the noise stops permanently. Will get back in a couple of days.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »

Present size is 60GB. Free space C: - 3GB and D: - 7GB.
 Partitioned 20GB (C:) and 40GB (D:).

3. Drivers=250MB, Prog Files=1.7GB, Windows=3.9GB.
4. I don;t have windows install CD. It came in the hidden partition.
5. Tbh, I don;t feel competent enough. But I might give it a go.  ::)

??

Ok,
I think in the mean-time I would advise you to experiment practice with a Image creating program, especially to make sure you are comfortable with it for when you do decide to change the HDD.

If you want to keep the manufacturers re-store files then you will need to partition the new drive into 3 partitions. Partition 1 = C: (20Gb is usually fine for XP)
Partition 2 = D:
Partition 3 = E: (Recovery Partition 4.66GB)

nomeames

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »

Sorry to bother everyone again. I thought its better continuing this thread instead of starting a new topic. The noise is back again. I am not sure whether it is the fan or HDD which is making noise. I was wondering if there is a way to know what is making noise. Like, if there is a way to turn the fan off to see if the noise continues and thus eliminating one possible cause. Any suggestions on locating the source of noise without actually opening it up?

Thanks in advance.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »

I would open the case and listen as I am sure you will be able to tell where abouts the noise is.

You could WITH CARE stop a fan one at a time and see if noise stops, they do stop easy but do not do it to long with processer fan.

You may also find a fan on the Graphics card.

I take all mine out every 6 months, clean and lubricate.  I even do the power supply fan but only once a year.

If you get a long screw driver and place it carefully on a fan housing and other end to your ear you may be able to locate noise that way, I used to do that in work all the time.

Make sure you do not put it on an electrical connection.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:17:05 PM by BritBrat »

nomeames

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »

I haven't opened my laptop for since I bought it (almost 5 years now). May be it is asking for some cleaning now. BTW, can you tell me how I can stop one fan at a time? I understand keeping the fan off for long may cause overheating. I will be careful on that.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »

Oh I missed that, a laptop you say now that is a different matter.

Other than take it somewhere to be looked at even I would not open the case.

Sorry I assumed wrongly you were talking about a desktop.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »

Opening up laptops to get to the hard drive and fan is normally straight forward, and in my experience the hard drive usually has a separate removable panel to enable easy removal/replacement.  There are usually quite a few small screws to remove and I'd recommend you use a decent quality precision crosshead (Phillips), and lay the screws out in the same pattern that you remove them to ensure they go back into the same holes - remove the battery and earth yourself as precautions beforehand though.

What model do you have and what kind of noise is it that you can hear?  If you carefully turn the laptop upside down you may be able to pinpoint the noise more easily.

nomeames

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »

I have a Vaio VGN-S56GP. I think something is loose inside as the nosie fades when I tilt the laptop to one side and comes back when I place it flat. It is coming right from where the fan is located so I assume it is the fan. I was hoping to find out if I can somehow switch the fan off for 10-15 secs to see if the noise continues. That would give me some idea regarding the source.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »

A good tip for screws it get some vending cups and when you take out first set of screws place them in a cup, then place a new cup in the same cup followed by the next set of screws then a cup and so on.

I do have some Vaio laptop manuals but not sure if I have that model but will check tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:31:16 PM by BritBrat »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

Here are a couple of links that may be of some use:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-sony-vaio-vgn-s360p-replace-broken-power-jack/

http://losercoalition.net/blog/2008/03/sony-s-series-laptop-disassembly-for.html

It would appear that on the S series the cooling fan is located around the enter key area just under the keyboard.

nomeames

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 04:10:20 PM »

Thanks for the links. It is really very helpful. Cheers!

jaydeee

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »

hands off, think its the fan.
try cleaning it.
Pages: 1 [2]