Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hard drive diagnostic tool  (Read 16929 times)

nomeames

Hard drive diagnostic tool
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »

I have a laptop I have been using for last 5 years. Recently I started hearing some noise, I never heard before. It is most likely the signs of a failing hard drive but just to make sure it is nothing else, I was wondering if there is a diagnostic tool (free) to check the hard drive health.

I have already backed up my data. What next if it is the hard drive thats failing? Chuck the computer or can I install a new compatible hard drive? I would prefer a DIY sort of stuff...  ;) (Not sure I would like to send it to a professional for repair..:D)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201483/Undercover-footage-finds-IT-staff-repair-firms-spy-personal-files.html

(I have a Hitachi, 2.5" Travelstar 5K100 hard drive)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:26:05 PM by nomeames »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Hard drive diagnostic tool
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:30:14 PM »

>> to check the hard drive health.

Chkdsk ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

... and yes it is possible to install a new HDD in a laptop. :)

----
Also worth looking at Hitach Drive Fitness Test
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
and Barts Stuff Test
http://www.nu2.nu/bst/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:40:13 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

nomeames

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »

Thanks for replying. Does chkdsk tells you about possible physical damage (reason for noise?) to the disk?

I will check out the hitachi disk diagnostic tool.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »

Does chkdsk tells you about possible physical damage (reason for noise?) to the disk?

No, chkdsk with only report back any possible read or write errors which if found is a possible sign of the HDD starting to go faulty.

However, I have use disc testing programs in the past and never really found then to be of much use where a noisy drive was concerned.

As for changing the HDD, that is quite a simple job with any laptop I have come across, with usually just a couple/few screws needing to be removed that attaches the HDD into the laptop.

The simplest way is to first create a "HDD Image file" (or Clone) of the old HDD onto either DVD or CDs using either something like Norton Ghost (which is my preference) or Acronis Trueimage, install the new HDD then reinstall the saved image file back to the new HDD, that should put your laptop back into a working condition in next-to-no-time.

nomeames

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »

Thanks Oldfogy. I am kind of dinosaur when it comes to hardware. As I said, my hard drive is noisy and its about time I fit a new one (for the moment I wouldn't like to part with my laptop  ;D). Can you guide me in detail (step by step) how to go about changing the hard disk?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »

That's a awkward question, mainly because I don't know the layout of your laptop.

First of all you could do with finding out what is the maximum size of drive you can install.
Then you can work around what you want to spend on it.

1. What size is it at present and how much free space is there, also do you need to increase the size?
2. Is it just one large drive or has it been partitioned into 2 or more drives/partitions?
3. Do you have a CD or DVD burner that you can create either a "Image or Clone" of your drive onto?
(Some manufactures web-sites have free software that enable you to create either a clone or image for the purpose of transferring all your data, unless you don't mind reinstalling everything)
(A clone is a direct copy of the entire HDD including any partitions, whereas a "Partition Image" is just a clone copy of a single partition)

But here goes.

Can you locate the HDD on the bottom of the laptop?
(On the bottom of the laptop look for a small plate marked HDD) there may only be one or two very small pozzidrive screws holding the plate in-situ)

Once that is removed, some HDD will just slide out, but some are held-in with anything up-to 4 screws which need to be removed to allow it to slide out.

Don't forget to backup your personal data to some sort of external media before you do anything.

nomeames

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:07:15 PM »

Thanks Oldfogy. Perhaps that was a stupid question. Told you I am a dinosaur. :). To answer your questions:

1. Present size is 60GB. Free space C: - 3GB and D: - 7GB and yes I would like to increase the size.
2. Partitioned 20GB (C:) and 40GB (D:).
3. DVD +/- RW (I have a Vaio VGN-S56GP that I bought from Singapore). Not sure if a cloning software exists for Vaio laptops.

I tried to find the max install size of the hard drive for my model but couldn't find any info. Not sure how to get this info.  ???

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »

Thanks Oldfogy. Perhaps that was a stupid question. Told you I am a dinosaur. :). To answer your questions:

1. Present size is 60GB. Free space C: - 3GB and D: - 7GB and yes I would like to increase the size.
2. Partitioned 20GB (C:) and 40GB (D:).
3. DVD +/- RW (I have a Vaio VGN-S56GP that I bought from Singapore). Not sure if a cloning software exists for Vaio laptops.

I tried to find the max install size of the hard drive for my model but couldn't find any info. Not sure how to get this info.  ???

1. To be honest if your figures above are accurate, then "possibly" one reason for the excessive noise is that your drive is full and your OS is finding it hard to find information that is required quickly.

2. Not that it really matters, but 20Gb + 40GB will not give you a 60GB HDD.

3. The manufacturer of cloning software is not relevant to the make of drive/laptop you have (any cloning software will do)

However, with the size you say your C: drive is, you would be better trying to find some way of connecting your old HDD to a external drive, possibly with using a USB caddy of some sort and doing a direct clone from there once the new drive is installed.

Maybe/hopefully someone else may be able to advise on the max size of HDD that you can install.
(Although you could try phoning Sony or even PC World and ask if they know)

edit
Specs from the page below seem to suggest you could possibly increase the HDD size to 160GB.
http://www.upgradecomputermemory.com/ram.cfm//memory/S/Sony-VAIO/Sony-Notebooks-VAIO-VGN-Series/VAIO-VGN-S56GPS-S56GPS/160GB-Notebook-Hard-Drive-for-the-Sony-VAIO-VGN-S56GP-S-S56GP-S-.html

Other indications are that the original specs show the HDD as being 80GB, so it's also possible you have a hidden drive partition, "possibly containing manufacturers restore files"

If you go to disk management you will be able to see the exact partitions you have by:-
Right click My Computer then select Manage from there you can then select Disk Management.

If you do have manufactures re-store available then it would be well worth keeping for future use.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:20:28 PM by oldfogy »

nomeames

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »

I called PC World and they told me to get in touch with the manufacturer. I have written to Sony and expecting a response soon (hopefully).

OK, I checked the disk management and here is how it looks like:
Recovery Partition (4.66GB / NTFS / Healthy (EISA Configuration))
Vaio C: (18.63GB / NTFS / Healthy (System))
Vaio D: (32.59GB / NTFS / Healthy)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »

I'd look at the SMART data using something like Speedfan or Diskcheckup.

nomeames

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:16:11 PM »

I have installed speedfan. Results are greek to me.  ??? (All I did, I checked the "automatic fan speed"..lol)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »

In Speedfan click on the SMART tab.
Then, in the drop-down "Hard disk" box click on the relevant drive and look at the stats below.
Relevant/important stats will have a "traffic light".
And there's an overall fitrness and performance "bar" at the bottom.

For a nice summary click on the "in depth analysis" button.

So - what did it say? (post analysis here)

nomeames

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 10:40:35 PM »

This is the result of in-dpeth analysis.

Raw Read Error Rate      100      65536       Very good
1      Throughput Performance      100      0       Normal
10      Spin Up Time      253      3 0 0       Very good
8      Start/Stop Count      99      2051       Very good
10      Reallocated Sector Count      100      0       Very good
10      Seek Error Rate      100      0       Very good
1      Seek Time Performance      100      0       Normal
2      Power On Hours Count      79      9413       Normal
10      Spin Retry Count      100      0       Very good
1      Power Cycle Count      99      1958       Normal
1      GSense Error Rate      99      131073       Normal
10      Power Off Retract Count      100      46       Very good
7      Load Cycle Count      90      105551       Good
10      Reallocated Event Count      100      57       Very good
10      Current Pending Sector      100      0       Very good
10      Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count      100      0       Very good
10      Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate      200      0       Very good

All of the attributes of your hard disk have normal values. This is good.

The overall fitness for this drive is 90%.
The overall performance for this drive is 90%.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:32:04 AM »

So, nothing wrong with it. Probably a fan making the noise.  8)

nomeames

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »

So, nothing wrong with it. Probably a fan making the noise.  8)

I am really confused now. For past 2 weeks there was this noise but it disappeared since last night. Could be the fan and not the hard disk.  :-\
Pages: [1] 2

anything