Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Positioning PC Tower  (Read 5153 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Positioning PC Tower
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for my question but here goes.

My pc tower is under my work station in the dark so I have difficulty find the where to plug into the USB slots and the card readers too, my solution is to tilt the pc back slightly and to install a small battery operated light to make life a little easier.

I'd like to tilt the tower back even more but I'm not sure if this is good or bad for the computer, although I have seen an angled wrack produced just for this purpose.

I was recently cautioned that angling the tower may not be a good idea, anyone care to shed more light on this for me please?

Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Positioning PC Tower
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »

Apart from the angle of the CD/DVD. you will need to make sure the disc does not slide, as it's being inserted.
Some CD's used to come with small pull-out tabs that you could trap the disc into, if the CD ROM was being used vertically.

PC's are sold as being able to be used either Horizontal or vertical, so I don't see that tilting it "by any degree" is going to make any difference.

Apart from the CD/DVD mentioned above, there are no other parts that are effected.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »

Oh yes there are...... :'(
Hard disks for desktop PC's are generally designed to operate horizontally or vertically. A tilt puts extra loads on the bearings that they are not "expecting".

I have my "tower" on top of the desk, on an upper shelf behind my screen. But then I've deliberately got a largish desk with big upper shelf, designed for CAD work or similar. (Scanner fis there too.)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:29:34 PM »

Many thanks for your replies HP &oldfogy, my tower is now horizontal again.

The reference to being either horizontal of vertical was a point my son made but he wasn't too sure,which is why I posted the question.

I'd love to have mine on the desk too but don't have the space, guess I'll just have to fir brighter lights! :)

Peter

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »

You could get a USB extension lead, or USB hub if you want more ports, and sit it on your desk.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »

My home made dedicated firewall (made from an old small form factor compaq computer ) it should be flat or horizontal for a desk top, has been working in a vertical position in a cupboard for about five years with No problems  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

jaydeee

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »

suggest placing your PC tower where there is good ventilation.
air circulation is important for a computer case.

anything