Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Crackly line, but only with router connected  (Read 21233 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Crackly line, but only with router connected
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 06:22:39 AM »

I'm not sure - but sometimes sky seem to send out an 'engineer' who is not Openreach..  I wonder if this makes any difference.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

general disquiet

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 07:29:19 AM »

Not sure if this will help, but a neighbour of mine has had a long standing phone and broadband problem, similar to the one described here (see http://winterbournestoke-thedigitaldivide.blogspot.com/2009/07/tale-of-two-dropwires.html for the details. 

As you will see, the fault eventually turned out to be a slightly damaged dropwire, but the most interesting thing was that the fault, at its worst, had also taken out a neighbours broadband connection which was connected to the same drop pole.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 07:47:48 AM »

That's a very interesting tale. My situation isn't anywhere near as bad - even when it's crackling I can still maintain a perfectly usable internet connection, albeit at a much lower speed - but there's a lot of helpful information there.
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »

Sky do send out OR engineers however it may not neccesarily be a broadband engineer could be a PSTN one lol! What other engineers can be sent out then apart from a sky install engineer lol. You sure it was sky you where talking to lol.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »

Not saying that they dont call OR engineer out.
However, Ive seen a few reports that sky users have been sent out 'sky type contacted engineers' who are not BT OR engineers. 
They seem to do stuff like fit extensions or adsl filtered face-plates.  Pretty sure there was one user on here who had been sent one out and he'd done the re-wiring wrong.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »

Aye they are only install engineers all they do is plug the router into the phone socket. Yeah they like to fit there own extension sockets in and do it wrong and like to fit extension cables in aswell so we end up having to clean up there mess. Just gone active with BT today and they have me on ADSL2+. Stats are as follows:

Mode:     ADSL2+
Line Coding:    Trellis On
Link Power State:    L0

Downstream    Upstream
SNR Margin (dB):    5.8     5.8
Attenuation (dB):    48.5     26.5
Output Power (dBm):    13.0     0.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    9664     984
Rate (Kbps):    8107     975
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message):    59     12
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame):    253     29
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):    1     1
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):    1     4
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):    0     0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):    0.9985     0.9756
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame):    2035     246
D (interleaver depth):    1     1
Delay (msec):    0     0

Super Frames:    59032     56325
Super Frame Errors:    784     1
RS Words:    0     0
RS Correctable Errors:    0     0
RS Uncorrectable Errors:    0     N/A

HEC Errors:    274     0
OCD Errors:    1     0
LCD Errors:    0     0
Total Cells:    18313883     1323254
Data Cells:    14315     1184
Bit Errors:    0     50

Total ES:    227     0
Total SES:    7     0
Total UAS:    31     0

Little more info there for ya kitz.

P.S This is a flashed sagem sky router i am using as i have not picked up my BT router yet muwhahah.

lodge

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »

Not saying that they dont call OR engineer out.
However, Ive seen a few reports that sky users have been sent out 'sky type contacted engineers' who are not BT OR engineers.

Yes, the one who came out had a Sky van, so I don't think he was from BT unless he was moonlighting.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »

Looking at the photo of that link. There could be several potential issues with that set up which coveres multiple faults.

The trees look trimmed so had they grown into the BT on that pole. Thats a nasty mess to sort sometimes. Had the block been connected with "blue bean" crimps. An older style crimps which can have corrosion issues. You can't see anything on any test yet recrimp them in a bt and hey presto everything sweet.

Its a joint user pole so had the dropwires been stepped on by the pole stressing the connections. I have found muddy footprints on this type of plant before.

Also has previous tree trimming caught tthe cable or joint at sometime. Sometimes you really need to dig around under the growth to find some damage from trimmers. Even from squirrels.

Not the easyest to work on. No insulator on the stay wire above the bt plant so it can only be accessed via a hoist. As for an A1024 They tend to stay on poles for years. There are so many for this work and that. Most tend to be on issues like cable heights, and bringing them up to the newer height standards. a A1024 should not be for fixing issues affecting a line testing ok or a reasonable broadband connection.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »

b*cat is a little bit puzzled.  ???

This thread seemed to reach a logical end with coolsnakeman's posting, "Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 11:05:45 PM".

Then suddenly lodge resurrected it with the next posting, "Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:37 PM" and Ezzer has followed on: "Reply #37 on: Today at 08:52:36 PM".

As this thread was started by Eric back in 2009 . . .  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 04:39:28 AM »

Extra latency, perhaps? :-\

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »

Didn't notice the date  ::) I'm only able to dart in and out occassionaly on this site during odd quiet moments whilst at work. This also means I can confuse myself as I nip in and out of the news online. President Obama wins his 4th gold at the paralympics ?  ??? Ok lets read that again  :lol:

Jonnyteg

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »

Firstly you say the line is noisy only when router is plugged in, so your not hearing a typical dis noise you are hearing unfiltered dsl noise?   You mention no nte so i assume star wired setup.

You might have a slight HR but your internal setup needs corrected to be suitable for adsl2, the hr could be any where from the filter to exchange and will show on a pqt test via exfo or jdsu test.   

Im assuming you have all connected equipment filtered?  If so speak to your CP and book a sfi visit.

Jonny
Pages: 1 2 [3]