Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Crackly line, but only with router connected  (Read 21225 times)

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Crackly line, but only with router connected
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »

Having had a think about things, it could be possible a poor joint is causing the problem.  

In the extremes of weather a poor joint will undergo different physical stresses and the physical and electrical characteristics of the joint will fluctuate.  This could lead to a non-linear response for some of the ADSL frequencies and I would think that this non-linear response in turn could lead to harmonics or distortions in the lower voice frequencies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:59:29 PM by orainsear »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »

@coolsnakeman
The phone cabling is overhead, and there's no obvious fault such as touching wires. The drop wire was replaced a couple of years ago, and appears to be in good condition.
The ADSL engineer did run a set of diagnostic tests, but by the time he arrived here the intermittent fault had gone into remission again and he could detect nothing.

I take your point about escalating the problem via my ISP, but having been stung with a large bill once already I'm gathering as much information as I can first.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 10:35:09 AM »

@orainsear:
Your suggestion does make sense, although it would be rather difficult to prove. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »

Not ignoring your thread Eric, just unfortunately I cant come up with any suggestions for you :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »

That's perfectly all right :)
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »

Proving it would be indeed be difficult.  Is there any way you could get BT out when the line is crackling?  I think that you'd have to try and push for a pair swap.

Having said that there may well be issues at the DSLAM as you already suggested.  It's a tricky one all right.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »

Is there a possibility for you to record your phone conversations and use a crackly one to demonstrate to whoever you need to? You won't need the whole of any occasion just the crackly bit. Have you asked your other party if they can hear the crackling? If they can then they could report the fault on your behalf, noting time and dates. Anything is worth a try to prove that a fault does exist. Who knows, you may be able to get your money back. :no:
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 08:43:44 PM »

sounds like a intermitent hr-dis or loop somewhere. problem is they can be really hard to spot even with a hawk, Justhad one this pm, could only see it when 63m away, was invisible 106m away. The crimps in the joint looked perfect but I could see the difference on the hawk. Otherwise if i crank the tdr on the hawk up high then i see lots of joints but none of which make any difference to the dsl signal.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 10:41:26 PM »

Thanks for that Ezzer (and all the other comments of course). I'll raise a ticket with my ISP, and push for a serious investigation.
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »

Good luck with your SP. Don't take no for an answer and i am a little shocked that you where charged for that engineer. Sky broadband don't charge you for SFI engineer visits even if the fault is your's so i guess i was lucky that way and got a free SFI. Let us know the outcome of it i would interested to hear where the fault is and what is causing this (from what you have done so far i think you have proved enough that this is NOT at your premises or on your end).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 07:18:36 AM »

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll start things rolling on Monday.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »

Good luck eric
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

lodge

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

Sky broadband don't charge you for SFI engineer visits even if the fault is your's so i guess i was lucky that way and got a free SFI.

Are you sure about that? My daughter is with Sky and has a line fault which is maybe internal wiring. Sky have told her that if BT come out and find the problem is internal, the start point is £144 + VAT and then an hourly rate of £60 something. :hmm:

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »

You can still face a charge but it is up to sky wither they direct that charge to you or not. It is on a very rare occassion i have heard a sky customer being charged for an engineer visit and i had actually recently seen an engineer that went out to find there was nothing wrong with the internet it was just a browsing issue and this customer was not charged. Best way to prove it isn't internal is go into your test socket and also try with a spare router that way you def know it is beyond the internal wiring which is sky's/BT's responsibility to fix.

lodge

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 09:30:57 PM »

Best way to prove it isn't internal is go into your test socket and also try with a spare router that way you def know it is beyond the internal wiring which is sky's/BT's responsibility to fix.

Unfortunately the phone wiring in the house is very old and there is no NTE5 master socket where I can plug in a router and bypass the internal wiring to prove that it is a line fault and not an internal issue.  :no:
Pages: 1 [2] 3