Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Am I missing something or......  (Read 7003 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Am I missing something or......
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »

@orainsear

I think the 'super stable' must be a target SNR of 15 (or more maybe). I'm currently on 15, but some of the others affected by this devious method of control have mentioned figures of in excess of 20.

I have to be honest and say that the line does seem pretty stable at the moment, but I want the kind of speed that I saw during the first 6-7 weeks, i.e. into the 12000s. Got an update to my ticket from Plusnet yesterday saying that they're trying to get BT to adjust the profile for me, but once again, time will tell.

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »

This is from a document I got last year for the planned profiles

WBC options for reducing fault costs

Broadband on 21CN extends this capability to deliver  :
   Faster profile changes and greater granularity
   Proactive repair tools
   Delivering more information/tools to customers for complex fault diagnosis
   Selectable profiles – standard stable and super-stable (for video)
   Seamless rate adaptation

See image below from the doc which shows the profile states.

It doesnt say exactly what the profiles will be but my assumptions are in brackets

1) Interleaving OFF - Normal profile (likely 6dB Target SNR)
2) Interleaving OFF - Stable profile (probably 9dB Target SNR?)
3) Interleaving OFF - SuperStable profile (probably 12dB SNR?)
4) Interleaving ON - Normal profile (likely 6dB Target SNR)
5) Interleaving ON - Stable profile (probably 9dB Target SNR + possible increased depth of interleaving?)
6) Interleaving ON - Super Stable (probably 12dB Target SNR + possible further increased depth of interleaving?)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »

I think the 'super stable' must be a target SNR of 15 (or more maybe). I'm currently on 15, but some of the others affected by this devious method of control have mentioned figures of in excess of 20.

oooh eke  very high!  scrub my assumptions above then :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »

No, I don't think your assumptions are wrong, but there are obviously a few other things up the sleeves of BT.

Plusnet have been trying to get my profile altered by BT for the past few days. What can be taking so long ?

Do I understand that you don't get all this messing about with a LLU provider. I took a quick look at Be the other day, and they say that yes, they can provide me with a service, but it will be at 6Mbps. I assume that must be based on some stats that BT provide to them, and obviously doesn't take into account the fact that I've been connecting on Plusnet at a solid 8128/448 from July 2007, and more recently since going on the trial seen speeds of in excess of 12000.

I just do not know what the answer is to this situation, but something just ain't right about it.

TTFN

toulouse
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:03:29 PM by toulouse »
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 11:44:31 PM »

>> Plusnet have been trying to get my profile altered by BT for the past few days. What can be taking so long ?

Sorry not sure - perhaps they (PN) need kicking - James is usually about the best person to ask.... or it could be BT are being stubborn about changing profiles as they currently are with 20CN.
The stuff mentioned above is long term plans and not all are in place as yet.

>> you don't get all this messing about with a LLU provider.

Although most of the LLU ISPs still have some form of DLM, theres no IPprofiles and no waiting around for things to change. Certain LLU providers are more obliging than others to change their settings.

>> I assume that must be based on some stats that BT provide to them,

Yep... all the information comes from the BTw database.

-----

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »

oooooooooo dearrrr. BT to adjust a profile or do a profile reset. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i have seen me spend almost half an hour on the phone to BT for one of our sky customers to get BT to reset the profile for me and it was one hell of a challenge. BT are very reluctant (if that is spelt right) to actually reset the profile. In order for them usually to do this they have to reset or bounce as sky would call it the line card. They act as if this is a very complicated job to do when it really isn't cause all they have to do is through a few commands into a system using putty and thats it done. You will be put back to a 10 day training period or 5 day training period but once its done then just leave the router plugged in and switched on and all should be fine. My fingers are crossed for you but i hope you have plenty of time on your hands :P

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »

Kitz said 'Yep...all the information comes from the BTw database.'

Now, call me a cynical old bugger, but I think it's fair to say that that information isn't necessarily always up to date, or am I wrong about this ?

TTFN

toulouse

P.S. the strange thing is when I had my latest BT engineer appointment he called the BT ADSL Help Desk and within minutes I was back to 12763/1199 with a target SNR of 6. So it is possible to get it done, but you may need an engineer to do it in a a timely manner.
Sadly, that only lasted for 2 days, and then the SNR was reset to 15 for some reason (Banded profile methinks)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:00:13 AM by toulouse »
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »

Aye the engineer calls up the helpdesk and asks them to reset the line card which resets your profile its just a shame that only lasted 2 days however you can't expected to have an engineer everytime this happens just to do that 1 thing. The records on BTW's systems are only an estimate so they are not always correct. I know from my own experience that your line is default to 256Kbps until your line is tested for ADSL broadband (this only applies to new installed lines) then after you have been tested the estimated speed gets recorded on the data base. Now bare in mind this can change as the years tick on as your line quality can decrease causing your speed to decrease. That is when you call your ISP and tell them to get an engineer out to do an uplift (basically change all cabling). Stick on at your SP PN about this and mention to them about requesting BT to reset your line card. If BT do actually do this which it will require a nice agent to spend about half an hour argueing with them then make sure you don't switch the router off for at least 10 days. If this doesn't do the trick then get back to your SP and request further investigation. The key to all this is being a pain in the ar** to your SP and keeping yourself updated on a regular basis as with that your SP will become more involved in your fault and some other poor customer will be ignored for a few days.
Pages: 1 [2]