Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stuck bRAS  (Read 2810 times)

robsterboy

• Just arrived
Stuck bRAS
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:04:28 PM »

BT have fixed a fault on my line and my bRAS profile is stuck at 135k. I read your info about a stuck bRAS so tried switching my router off overnight -- no luck.

I rang Virgin support and the guy said switch it off at night and on again in the morning for 4 consecutive nights to 'unstick' it.

He was adamant that neither Virgin or BT could do anything and the bRAS profile was in my router and the only solution was in my hands.

Sounds a bit iffy???

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Stuck bRAS
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »

He was adamant that neither Virgin or BT could do anything and the bRAS profile was in my router and the only solution was in my hands.

Sounds a bit iffy???

Yes because they can 'unstick' a stuck bRAS profile.

Can you please provide your router stats.

How long since the fault was deemed repaired was your router synchronised before it was rebooted/resynced, and has it been resynced at all since then?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:25:41 PM by orainsear »

robsterboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »

Fault was deemed repaired 2 days ago. Router was rebooted\resynced after repair, then switched off overnight last night until early afternoon today.

Router stats:
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 9626 11520 0 119 546 04:56:34
LAN 10M/100M 18622 16232 0 796 203 05:26:12
WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7776 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 30.0 db 18.5 db
Noise Margin 13.7 db 25.0 db

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:36:23 PM »

It can take up to five days for the IP profile to recover (although a large change like this should happen more quickly). Switching off at night and back on in the morning should make no difference. At this stage it doesn't qualify as a stuck profile, so I'm afraid that you need to be patient for a bit longer.
  Eric

robsterboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:49:08 PM »

The profile has been stuck at 135k for 12 days but the connection has been bouncing around from 8128 to 160k because of the line fault.

The connection now seems steady at 7776 since the repair.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »

Sorry if I sound pedantic, but that's not a stuck profile. The repeated low-speed connections caused by the line fault would have set the IP profile at 135 kbps, and it can take up to 5 days at a higher connection speed to restore the IP profile. If the fault was repaired two days ago, then that's the start of the 5 day period.
  Eric

robsterboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »

No problem, pedantic can be good, and it's good to have the situation clarified. I'm grateful for your input.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

Would it be worthwhile leaving the router connected permanently till the profile readjusts itself?  I know that when you have a stable profile if you turn off and on again, e.g. overnight and the connection speed remains similar it doesn't affect the profile, but how does this work if it's in a period of profile recovery?  Is it possible that the turning the router off would slow down the recovery time due to the DLM thinking that some sort of instability remains?

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:23:18 PM »

Your best bet would be to just leave the router switched on for the 5 days. It doesn't always take 5 days for the profile to adjust it can adjust in 3 days but switching the router on and off will mean DLM won't get a chance to re-calculate your profile. What i would do and this is just me is connect it into your test socket for the 5 days and leave it switched on. If the profile doesn't change or adjust then the only other option would be to get back to your ISP. They will need BT to reset the line card which should reset the profile but just be careful cause after this has been done you will need to leave it switched on again for another 3-5 days to ensure the profile is kept. Worse thing about BT's DLM profiling is that if DLM sees the router going on and off it will think there is a line fault and automatically drop your profile to keep your connection stable as to the SP stability of your line is more important to them than speed.

anything