Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bits swap  (Read 2627 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Bits swap
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:20:37 PM »

Hi
Another question about Bits swaps  . In a previous post I had no bit swaps . Thanks to Eric I got them back . Then after a few days there was no swaps again. I left it like that . Until a few days ago The bitswap started again  for about 4 days . Now today there are no swaps again . There has been no change in any of the stats . My question is is there a way to see whether bitswap has been disabled . It seems odd that it seems to come on and off ,what triggers it I cannot pin down.
Regards Jeff
zen user

philip_l

Re: Bits swap
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »

Hi

What router is it?

It could be an incompatibility between you and the exchange equipment or a bug with your box.

Also bitswapping might not be necessary all the time so it might be enabled but you don't see it happening, although from my experience bitswapping is always happening to some degree, I'm on 14000 swaps on the downstream in 24 hours!

Regards

Phil

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »

seems like the nightmare I used to have.

I used to use DMT to watch bitswapping on my speedtouch 585v6 back in the days I was on ipstream, and a frequent event was bitswapping would run after I resynched but then after a random amount of time (usually anything from a few hours to a week) bitswapping would simply just stop working and then my crc errors would go through the roof.

The cause could be anything such as dodgy router firmware, dodgy dslam firmware, or something like the router not been fully compatible with the dslam.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the replies
My router is a dg834gt . It was working OK for weeks ,that is since Routerstats has been showing the swaps .
It Has NO effect on my stats

WAN:   9 days, 09:19:25
 LAN:   9 days, 09:19:25

CRC:  7
LOS:  0
LOF:  0
ES :  6

SF:               47717960
SF Errors:        7
Reed Solomon:     3244821310
RS Corrected:     397095
RS Un-Corrected:  26
HEC:              5
Errored Seconds:  6
Severe ES:        0

It just seems to please itself .
That's why I was wondering if anyone Knows if there is a way to see the status of bitswap.,before issuing the telnet instruction to start again. The last time it restarted  or at least was displayed it started on its own. ::)

Regards Jeff

zen user

anything