Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: worst line ever recorded?  (Read 2292 times)

chris87

worst line ever recorded?
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »

hey guys

great site by the way

just a few questions my line struggled with 265K connection but it worked better on 512K although still dissconnected a few times but i know this is a area problem as my neighbours have similar stats my line attenuation is 61db and SNR downstream ranges from 5db to 15db (my neighbours have similar stats)

is there any new technology that can cure this problem? because with higher speeds coming out could this be a major problem? as not alot of lines can handle speeds up to 10meg i live in hull so which is not on the BT network we are on KC karoo. the problem i can think of is the exchange is too far away :'( and i am desperate for a higher connection ive rang up karoo plenty of times but strangely they just keep changing the subject   >:(
 and is this a common problem were households are too far away from exchanges or is this a rear occurence?

thanks, chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: worst line ever recorded?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:43:07 AM »

I'm afraid that you're not likely to get much improvement in the forseeable future. You've got a long line with high attenuation and considerable investment would be needed to upgrade that. If you're on a fixed 512k at the moment you might get 1 Mbps or so if you change over to Max, but it's something of a gamble. In the first instance you should make your own internal wiring arrangements as good as possible - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm will give you some useful tips.

Eric
  Eric