Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 7 E Scrapped  (Read 7076 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Windows 7 E Scrapped
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »

In a dramatic turnaround, Microsoft has formally abandoned plans to introduce a version of Windows 7 without Internet Explorer in Europe - dubbed Windows 7 E - and decided instead to use the same version of Windows as the rest of the world.

"Several worried about the complexity of changing the version of Windows that we ship in Europe if our ballot screen proposal is ultimately accepted by the Commission and we stop selling Windows 7 E," he explained, perhaps with a measure of understatement.

The "ballot system" referred to is the idea of presenting anyone loading Windows 7 for the first time with a selection of browsers, including Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari and Google Chrome.
In this way, Microsoft hopes to ward off EU complaints - and billion-dollar fines - about the alleged anti-competitiveness of forcing people to use Internet Explorer 8 by default.

Heiner repeated the EU's response to the announcement of Windows 7 E that it felt "consumers should be offered a choice of browser, not that Windows should be supplied without a browser at all."

Microsoft's decision has a number of consequences.

In particular, it means that anyone in the UK (and Europe) can now upgrade their Windows Vista system to Windows 7, rather than having to perform a clean install

Glad that common sense prevailed in the end :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »

If your new PC comes without any browser installed,how do you get onto the internet to download one.......... :hmm:

Why not have the most popular ones(IE,FF and Opera) installed on your desktop,then its down to user choice.

;)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »

Glad that common sense prevailed in the end :)

Glad to see Microsoft took-up my suggestion.  ;D

edit
This in turn means that Microsoft can introduce a Family Pack for Windows 7 in the UK.
The Family Pack allows you to upgrade three household PCs to the new OS with a single licence.

I wonder what the price of the up-to 3 three PC licence will be?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:50:47 PM by oldfogy »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »

Seems OF not till 2010, and we will probably get ripped off on that as well :no:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/264628/no-windows-7-family-pack-until-2010-for-uk.html
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:16 PM »

2010, well that's only 5+ months away.

But like it's always being said, "rip-off Britain" will be paying for subsidising the US, especially after people start shouting how good it is, then people will pay for it.

Me, I'll be waiting for a free edition.  8)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »

So what happens to the people who have paid for  the pre release "E" version?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:20:06 PM »

From the link provided by jid in another thread

Microsoft had previously decided not to offer upgrade versions, because of the difficulties involved with removing Internet Explorer during the upgrade process.

The company says it will "continue to honour the pricing offers made in Europe before this change is implemented". This means that Windows 7 buyers should still be able to buy full versions of the operating system at upgrade prices until 2010.

There's also reassuring news for customers who pre-ordered Windows 7 E versions from Microsoft and other retailers. "Users who have pre-ordered a full license to Windows 7 will be able to receive that license," Microsoft has confirmed, allaying fears that pre-orders might be downgraded to upgrade versions. Microsoft was selling the pre-order software at upgrade prices.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »

Sounds good then.

Thanks.

Nick_R

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:00:43 AM »

So, What happened to the ballot system,  I don't remember seeing one at installation. Not that it matters, got both IE and Firefox installed and even got the plug in that makes firefox act like IE for the odd site that doesn't like FF. At least we didn't have the potential mess of the E edition.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »

The ballot will be added later as an update, it was too late to put it in the RTM version.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »

Heh - I'm glad it didn't make the initial release. Why should a private company selling a product be dictated to in this way when they aren't even doing anything wrong! They're selling a product. They don't block you from installing alternative software. Opera (I believe they are making the biggest noise about this) need a reality check here. If the product was that much more worthy (or the customers actually cared) then there's nothing to stop the OEMs installing it and making it the default browser.

And if Microsoft have to provide a choice... force Apple to do the same when you buy a new Mac. Just as most PC users know the web as "The Blue 'e' Thingamy", there are many Mac users who know no other browser than Safari. Opera, Firefox etc run on Macs, but out of the Mac users I know, and I know quite a few, none of them would even know there is an alternative, nor would they even care - like most PC users don't actually care what browser they use (and to be fair, IE is finally starting to mature and it works quite well now)

The E edition was going to be a nightmare... although I'm sure Microsoft had distribution of free CDs through the retail sector well thought out and planned (or would that be an E?). And it works - just ask AOL! 2010 could have been the year of the Mass IE8 CD Invasion!!

But yeah... in my book, if Microsoft has to provide a browser choice to the user, then so does Apple.
Chris