Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Smart malware steals from SSL streams  (Read 3302 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Smart malware steals from SSL streams
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:17:08 PM »

Is nothing safe?  :no:

A new variant of the Russian Gozi Trojan has been discovered that is capable of stealing data during secure socket layer (SSL) transactions.

The Trojan is one of the most sophisticated yet found and has a variety of features designed to make it difficult to locate. When it detects an SSL transaction it activates and begins key-logging the infected computer to steal account details.

In addition the Trojan makes itself difficult to detect by constantly changing its coding so that signature-based systems will not detect it.

It also has its own compression software and will compress and extract portions of its code to further disguise itself.

"It is bad enough that this new version of Gozi can encrypt and rotate its program code to bypass conventional signature detection," said Geoff Sweeney, chief technical officer at security analysis software company Tier-3.

"But the fact that it can switch a key-logging function on and off when the infected PC reaches an e-banking web page makes it almost undetectable using conventional IT security technology.

"My understanding of this new version is that behavioural analysis technology is the only way of preventing an infected PC user's e-banking data from being logged and compromised."

The Trojan was discovered by Don Jackson, a researcher at SecureWorks in the US, who found that even with a malware signature, not all antivirus packages could detect the Trojan, although a few identified it as a suspicious file.

Jackson back-traced the IP address of the server to which it was sending the information and found that the details of over 5,200 home PC users, with 10,000 account records, had been compromised.

Account and log-in information for applications offered by over 300 organisations had been stolen through these infected home PCs.

"The information contained everything from bank, retail and payment services account numbers, as well as social security numbers and other personal information," said Jackson.

"The records retrieved included account numbers and passwords from clients of many of the top global banks and financial services companies (over 30 banks and credit unions were represented), the top US retailers, and the leading online retailers.

"The stolen data also contained numerous user accounts and passwords for employees working for federal, state and local government agencies, as well national and local law enforcement agencies."
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Smart malware steals from SSL streams
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »

Thats pretty scary stuff - particulary since it seems that not all AV packages etc can pick it up. 

Also pretty worrying is the amount and type of data that seems to have been compromised :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:46:29 PM »

Ouch :( That's one of the most worrying trojans I've heard about in a while.
Chris

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:32:12 AM »

Very Very scary, :'(  I tend to do all my on-line banking on a XP pro running Microsoft free Virtual Machine 2007 software, running DSL (damn small Linux ) Distro as the 'guest'.
I open up DSL and run FireFox web browser and then do my banking, but reading about this new trojan if I got infected Not even my set-up would protect me because its looking at the ip stream.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.