Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Could you pass the eleven plus?  (Read 4329 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Could you pass the eleven plus?
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »

This September my 10-year-old granddaughter will be sitting the Kent 11+ exam (there are still some grammar schools in Kent). During the summer she's working on some practice papers, and asked me for some thoughts on this one: http://www.elevenplus.org/samplenvrpaperdf.pdf
In particular, section B number 3 was puzzling her.

Looking at the paper, I have to say that it's pretty challenging for a 10-year-old. Some years ago I sat the Mensa entrance exam (and yes, I did pass :angel: ) and I'm sure it wasn't as difficult as this.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Could you pass the eleven plus?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »

:o It all looks challenging to me.  :-X

I think its 'A'..............

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »

>> I think its 'A'

That's what my granddaughter thought too, so you're in good company ;D
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:39:42 AM »

>> I think its 'A'

That's what my granddaughter thought too, so you're in good company ;D

Does that mean I've passed.  ;)

Tbh,I failed my 11+,but my sister passed.

I did go on to pass my city and guilds advanced craft certificate in Carpentry & Joinery though.  :angel:

The week I took my 11+ was the week my grandad died,I think to this day that was the reason I failed (thats my story and I'm sticking to it) :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »

Those are hard for an 11 year old!
Ive done mensa and psycho-semantic type tests for a job interview once that was a whole day (passed and got the job - although I wish I hadnt lol)

I think the answer is D
(Middle column is flipped)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »

I think the answer is D
(Middle column is flipped)

The answer is D (the answers are at the bottom of the page). I did work out some reasoning for the answer, but yours is simpler. :)
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

I figured out it was D too using the same logic as Kitz - in fact I sat and did the whole paper - ended up getting 31 out of 35 (one in each section wrong) - however I took about an hour over it... and then realised you only get 30 minutes to do the exam! Would be interesting to see the pass mark.

I took an 11+ exam for a local school that still required an entrance exam (I passed but my parents decided to send me to another school anyway) but I either don't remember it being that hard or didn't think as deeply about the answers at the time!!

What isn't allowed for is that the "correct" answer can depend on what reasoning you apply to finding the answer - and I would argue that a couple of the questions could have more than one correct answer.

For example, section A, question 4 - I guessed C - using the logic that the top letter applies to the general direction (R = horizontal/vertical, S = diagonal), and the bottom letter applies to the border/shading/colour of the shape (same as the first diagram therefore U). But the answer is stated as B (top letter = colour, bottom letter = orientation). Whilst this answer makes sense, I would simply get the answer wrong and receive no credit for the logic I applied. Their answer does not take the border thickness into account, yet I did - who says that this is 'irrelevant' and that I am 'wrong'?!

Often tests like these are biased towards the thinking of the group of people setting the questions, and scoring well is as much to do with being lucky enough to think in the same way as them (for example a lot of the questions seem to ignore the surrounding shape / border) - and if you don't think in the same way then you are simply incorrect.

Sorry for the rant - I feel quite strongly about these kinds of tests - whilst they definitely have their place, individual thinking is what brings evolution and change to the world! Apparently Richard Branson, undoubtedly an extremely successful entrepreneur, is dyslexic and has an IQ of 92. Apparently a lot of successful entrepreneurs are similar - they have different strengths.

It's still a good brain exercise though! :)
Chris