Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Too wide to fit the screen  (Read 7283 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Too wide to fit the screen
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:48:21 PM »

Hiya,
Don't suppose I will make much sense here but I know what I mean  ;D  I think it is something to do with resolution but again not sure.  Some websites I visit their pages go off the screen (not every website that is)...so I then annoyingly have to scroll across.  However, a few more whose page is off my screen to the right, there is no way I can get over to the right hand side that's off screen.  Sometimes that side will contain the log out button so of course I can't click on it.

What I'd like to know is there any way I can have everything fit on my screen without it being off at the right hand side, especially where it's a case of me unable to scroll over because it's permanently off on the right hand side?

Thanks for reading and thanks for any help.  (Not too techy replies please, cos I'm a techy dim-wit  ;D)

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Too wide to fit the screen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »

What browser are you using? You may have zoomed in by accident.

If Firefox, go to the View Menu > Zoom > Reset. See if that fixes the issue.

If Internet Explorer, in the bottom right of the screen should be a percentage figure, ensure its at 100%, if not then click the little up arrow next to it and select 100%

Also what OS are you using i.e XP / Vista

Post it up and we can guide you to checking the screen resolution too :)

Jamie

edit Uncy beat me to it...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:21:36 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

Hi Chrissie,

Are you using a widescreen monitor?

Some websites only display in widescreen,so if you are using a normal monitor it could cause you to have to scroll across the page to see it all.

I have a 22" wide screen monitor,but have my browser window set a couple of inch in from the edge,and sometimes I have to scroll across to see all the page.

I am using a resolution of 1680 x 1050

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »

Whilst this is extremely annoying it is often the design of the website which causes this. Also if you override the font size in your browser setup it can cause the site to be too wide. Good site design takes into account these kind of things, howver font size is one thing which can undo any good work by the designer.

I use a normal ratio screen and rarely have a problem using Firefox.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 05:41:56 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your help one and all.  I'm using IE 7  Win XP home edition and the percentage in the bottom right is 100% and text size is medium in view.  I don't have a wide screen monitor, just ordinary 15" flat screen.  I did wonder if it is some sites rather than what I'm doing or my computer that is.  Thanks again for your comments/help I really appreciate it.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »

Some websites I visit their pages go off the screen (not every website that is)...

Some website?
Is that very many or just a few?

Although apart from as has already been suggested, I don't think there may be much you can do about it.
If it's on forums, then it may be that someone has posted a "large" picture.

Although, I was on a Spanish site last night and the left-hand side of the page (the normal side) apart from the header was practically empty and all of the information was way of screen over to the right-hand side which was very annoying, probably the same as you are experiencing.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

edit.
I just tried my troublesome site again with IE and it now seems ok, I was previously using FF.
So unless they fixed their site, I don't know what the solution may be.

edit
I just tried my troublesome site again this time with FF
Although on a different PC I still have the same problem as you (as I did before) so I suspect it could well be a setting in FF.
Viewing with IE does not give me the problem.

With FF, If you select the "RENTALS" link from their menu you will see what I mean.
http://www.propertyrentals.com/index.html

"Although I appreciate this does not help or resolve your problem" sorry
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:21:31 PM by oldfogy »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »

What resolution is your monitor set at.?

If its only a 15" monitor I'm guessing it will be 800 x600.

I've never used XP so someone might tell you how to check and if its possible/how to adjust to higher resolution to see if this makes it better.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »

I have exactly the same effect on the "Rentals" link using Firefox and this is at 1024 x 768, on a 19", 4 x 3 screen. I think that means it's down to the way the web page is written and, in this case, we just have to live with it. Could be the IE add-in for Firefox might help but I don't use it so I haven't tried it.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »

Could be the IE add-in for Firefox might help but I don't use it so I haven't tried it.

Thanks for that Tony
I do actually use the IE add-on with Firefox but it makes no difference.

Chrissie
Sorry if this appeared to be going OT, but I thought any other replies which may seem related may also help.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »

The problem can happen with Firefox where the site is not 'standards compliant' and perhaps uses Microsoft specific stuff, this is annoying but all too often it is just bad design. When creating my website I always attempt to get it to work in sizes as small as 800x600 without horizontal scrolling and most of the time I manage it, I also try to be 'standards compliant' but even then I have to use some code which 'fixes' IE because it does not like standards!
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything