Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zen Internet  (Read 12764 times)

nomeames

Zen Internet
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »

Is something wrong with Zen internet these days? I was with crappy AOL and then moved over to Zen for the past 5 months and it was million times better than AOL. Recently, since last 2 weeks the speeds have dropped like anything (lower than AOL even). Looks like a temporary glitch to me.

Anyone else facing similar problems with Zen?
What is the MTU size set? (mine is at 1492)
Could this problem be related to 21CN migration?  :-\

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Zen Internet
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »

Has your IP profile possibly dropped as a result of a low-speed sync?
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »

I was with Zen and I used MTU 1472.

Could it be all this rain affecting your connection?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:30 AM »

Hi
I am with zen  and no problem with throughput

Can you post your router stats?
and do a speed test using     http://www.speedtester.bt.com/   to see what your profile is ,as mentioned by Roseway.

regards Jeff
zen user

nomeames

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:06:59 PM »

Has your IP profile possibly dropped as a result of a low-speed sync?

I am not sure but I did reboot the router couple of times and it didn't help. Can you tell me how an IP profile drops and what can be done to improve the IP profile?

I was with Zen and I used MTU 1472.

Could it be all this rain affecting your connection?

I tried MTU 1472 as well but the results were pretty much the same. It might be the rain last night as the speed went back to normal after an hour or so. But I have had this problem quite a few times now even when it wasn't raining.

nomeames

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

Hi

and do a speed test using     http://www.speedtester.bt.com/   to see what your profile is ,as mentioned by Roseway.

regards Jeff

Jeff I will do that once I get back home. At work now.
Thanks to all of you for replying.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »

If you log in to the Zen portal (portal.zen.co.uk) you can see your BT line profile.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:07:28 PM »

Hi
quote If you log in to the Zen portal (portal.zen.co.uk) you can see your BT line profile.

you learn something new every day.  :)

There is only one problem it is not totally up to date .But the profile is correct .
Regards Jeff :)
zen user

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »

There is only one problem it is not totally up to date .But the profile is correct .

The data is derived from BT and I seem to recall that the profile only updates when there is a change in sync speed, so the last set of data on the list should still be applicable, assuming you've not resynchronised, irrespective of the date (I could be wrong about that but I'm sure Azzaka will clarify when he's next on).

The Zen line data tool can be a very useful reference, and there's a bit more about it here.

nomeames

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »

Hi

regards Jeff

Jeff I will do that once I get back home. At work now.
Thanks to all of you for replying.

Everything seems to be back to normal now. In fact better than normal.  ;D

BT speed tester results:
Your DSL connection rate: 7648 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6041 kbps

Slow speeds I encountered were mostly after 10 pm. I will wait and see how it performs and post back the results if the speed drops.

nomeames

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »

The data is derived from BT and I seem to recall that the profile only updates when there is a change in sync speed, so the last set of data on the list should still be applicable, assuming you've not resynchronised, irrespective of the date (I could be wrong about that but I'm sure Azzaka will clarify when he's next on).

The Zen line data tool can be a very useful reference, and there's a bit more about it here.

Line rate data (from Zen Portal)
Upstream - 448
Downstream - 6500
Sync rate - 7392
BRAS profile - adsl 6500

What is BRAS profile and how does it affect speed?

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »

What is BRAS profile and how does it affect speed?

Have a read of this: bRAS / IP Profile

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »

Zen were reporting a problem a few days ago but if you look here:-

http://status.zensupport.co.uk/

you'll see most current ones are scheduled maintenance.

When there's an active problem Zen frequently add to their helpline welcome message.

Zen also announced slow-downs due to popular sporting events such as cricket and golf.

Next time you have a problem, give them a ring. It's not nearly as painful as some other providers.

Kind regards,
Walter

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »

We pull the info directly from BT systems and then publish it. So you are right Orainsear.

BT systems do have issues occassionally and this in turn is reflected on the data not being updated. As for the slow speeds it could be related to your exchange being upgraded to 21CN. Now i have been informed that the MSAN's and the DSLAM's should not interfere with each other nor the upgrade work should interfere with your line, however it still seems some lines are affected by the upgrades.

If you can PM me your details i'll be more than happy to check your line for you. Just to add, one of the reason we ask all customers to test using the BT Speedtester is due to the fact it stores all the line results in thier database and enables the ISP and BTW to pull the results when a fault is raised.

Kindest Regards,
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

nomeames

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »

We pull the info directly from BT systems and then publish it. So you are right Orainsear.

BT systems do have issues occassionally and this in turn is reflected on the data not being updated. As for the slow speeds it could be related to your exchange being upgraded to 21CN. Now i have been informed that the MSAN's and the DSLAM's should not interfere with each other nor the upgrade work should interfere with your line, however it still seems some lines are affected by the upgrades.

If you can PM me your details i'll be more than happy to check your line for you. Just to add, one of the reason we ask all customers to test using the BT Speedtester is due to the fact it stores all the line results in thier database and enables the ISP and BTW to pull the results when a fault is raised.

Kindest Regards,

Hi Azzaka,

Many thanks for replying. Things are back to normal i guess. I m getting good speed now and I tested them at different times of the day. Heres another happy customer. I will definitely get back to you if I face any issues. Thanks to all again.
Pages: [1] 2

anything