Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RF Filters  (Read 3646 times)

soms

• Reg Member
RF Filters
« on: June 09, 2007, 10:34:25 PM »

Hi all, quick question about RF filters - do they make any difference when it comes to ADSL performance?

RF filters are available as both plug in splitter type things and also as hardwired units through which a line pair can be connected e.g. BT Block 80 RF3 (ADSL compatible). In the case of the later I assume they are fitted right beside the desired NTE or socket so that the pair is clear of RFI at the point of termination?

Thinking a little about having my own ADSL line installed, just wondering if RF filters make any difference as I could plan this in to my hypothetical installation. I work for the aforementioned communications company so I could prep my proposed installation as desired.

Soms.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 10:41:12 PM by soms »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: RF Filters
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 07:37:33 AM »

"RF filter" is a very broad term, so there's no simple answer to this. An ordinary ADSL filter is an RF filter of course. Apparently BT will fit an RF3 filter as a last resort solution to a serious interference problem, so it presumably has some value, but I've no information about whether the plugin ones which you can buy do any good. It all depends on the spec.

Eric
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
Re: RF Filters
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »

Thanks roseway.

I did a bit of googling and the results (all from the USA) seem to indicated that RF filters are commonly used on telephone lines to remove interference and disruption to telephone speech caused by local radio stations or radio equipment. On that basis I guess the case for most of us to use such devices in little, unless you want added peace of mind.