Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ?Bridge Mode with the Netgear DG834  (Read 20981 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
?Bridge Mode with the Netgear DG834
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »

I've just been playing with this hidden feature of the Netgear DG834
     http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm (or whatever LAN-facing IP address your router uses)

which allows you to choose "modem" or "modem+router" modes of operation. The whole UI changes completely.

Any idea what the protocol stack looks like when you put one into the "modem" mode?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ?Bridge Mode with the Netgear DG834
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:24:01 AM »

I don't know the answer, but you might like to know that this option is included in the normal web interface with the DGTeam firmware.
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:44:49 PM »

What encapsulation method are you using?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

Using PPPoA with BT Wholesale. Besides the hidden "mode" = "modem" vs "modem+router" option referred to earlier, the Netgear DG834 also shows in the normal UI an option of "PPPoE Relay".

I'm assuming that the PPPoE relay thing might pass PPP through to some client on an ethernet box, so that for PPPoA users the device then acts as a PPPoA-to-PPPoE-over-LAN converter? (Meaning that the protocol stack seen over ATM is unchanged PPPoA.)

If that's so (I'll test it), then I'm assuming the first "mode=modem" thing has to be something different than the "PPPoE Relay" option, and I'm wondering if "mode=modem" might mean that it generates PPTP? There should be some way I can test this too.

I hear mutterings that the Speedtouch can do this? - Re speedtouch, see http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/3581439-speedtouch-585v7-pppox-to-pptp-relay.html  and  http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/841356.html

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

I seem to remember seeing a good diagram somewhere that shows the protocol stacks for each encapsulation method and helps to explain the modem/bridge mode - I'll have to have a look around and see if I can find it again.

As for PPPoE relay, unfortunately it's simply the modem mode PPPoE ----> PPPoE and nothing more which is a shame because PPPoA ----> PPPoE would be very useful indeed.

I have a Draytek Vigor 110 and this can act as a pure PPPoE ----> PPPoA bridge and it does it very well indeed.  I believe the ADSL Nation X-Modem M3 is another device with this facility.

I bought the Draytek because I use a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato and needed the PPPoE to PPPoA bridge on ADSL Max, however after a while I decided to play around with a Netgear and found that it connected at a better rate.  The only problem is the lack of PPPoE to PPPoA bridging, so what I did was simply set the encapsulation of the Netgear to PPPoE (which is really PPPoEoA) and it worked well for me, albeit with a slightly reduced throughput vs PPPoA due to the larger overheads with PPPoE.  I'm with Be now and use ETHoA (IPoATM) and bridging the BeBox to the Linksys with a static IP.

The point-to-point tunnelling feature (PPTP ----> PPPoA) of the Speedtouch was something I also considered when intially figuring out how to use a 'cable' router with ADSL but I didn't go down that road because I was finding that trying to configure and play around with a speedtouch required numberous reboots which isn't really what you want on a longish line with a sensitive profile, but it apparently does work and Revs Per Min on the whirlpool forums seems to be a very good source of knowledge for the more advanced features of speedtouch routers.

I'm not sure how (and if) the PPTP works with Netgears - I think that it's somehow tied up with VPN settings.

Edit: Found image, originally posted on DSLReports forum

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:50:51 AM by orainsear »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:59:07 AM »

Looks like dslreports doesnt allow hotlinking of images..

Ive therefore attached a copy at the bottom of this post..  or the original can be viewed at
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/381775~1563009aaad36f9746acbc3697bd7637/ATM_Protocol_Layers.gif

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »

Thanks for that.  :)