Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR Reset  (Read 4672 times)

vigalent

• Just arrived
SNR Reset
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »

Hi all, new to the forum so please go easy on me.

For the past year or so I have been living a pretty poor connection. Adequate, but poor.

I know my line can handle alot more that its current sync (1.5 - 2mb max, it used to get 3.5 - 4mb) but a year or so ago we had some major electrical storms (remember the bad floods last year). That day after a number of lightning strikes and power outages I went from a target SNR of 6 to 15 (literally within a few hours).

I tried in vane for about a month or so after this trying to get my ISP (entanet) and BT to reset the SNR (even down to 9 would be great) all to no avail. At which point I just gave up, but recently its been beginning to annoy me again. Is there anyone that can help?

My line is probably not the most stable (hence the 30day rule never really kicks in - we get a lot of power failures here and the quality of the line is pretty pants - BT voice engineers own words!)

For reference I have a speedtouch 585v6

Many Thanks

Vig

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SNR Reset
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »

which firmware version of the ST585v6 do you have... Have you tried DMTtool tweaking?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

vigalent

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »

Firmware version is 5.4.0.11

I'm new to DMT. Forcing a lower target SNR would only be a short term solution correct?

Would it be better to try and set the SNR higher to try and achieve a more stable rate so BT's softwrae drops the target SNR? Thats my ultimate goal

Thanks

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »

Firmware version is 5.4.0.11

You can upgrade to 6.1.4.3 - it's the last fully DMTtool compatible release and may help towards improving stability.  Check this thread for a download link.

I'm new to DMT. Forcing a lower target SNR would only be a short term solution correct?

Most probably.  If the SNR margin is not lowering by itself while the target is set to 15 dB then it's unlikely that forcing a lower margin will cause it to shift.

Would it be better to try and set the SNR higher to try and achieve a more stable rate so BT's softwrae drops the target SNR? Thats my ultimate goal

In theory, this is what you should have already with a 15 dB SNR margin.

I was previously on long line ADSL Max product and also had my target SNR margin rise to 15 dB following a brief period of instability.  Even with a synchronised uptime of over a month my target SNR margin never moved from 15 dB, and I actually left it like this because I found that on fastpath I would occasionally get some packet loss if I forced my target SNR margin lower.

There's been quite a bit of discussion and speculation about how the line management works, and it would appear that one of the criteria for the target SNR margin to fall is a fairly low number of error seconds/error rate.  You may have to pester your ISP to get the target reset.

It would be useful if you could post your line stats so we can get some sort of indication as to how your line is currently performing and offer further suggestions.

vigalent

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

You can upgrade to 6.1.4.3 - it's the last fully DMTtool compatible release and may help towards improving stability.  Check this thread for a download link.

I'll look into this. Thanks

In theory, this is what you should have already with a 15 dB SNR margin.

True enough, it is fairly stable at this rate, its just I know it can be a great deal better. I don't want a SNR of 3db again, I would be happy at something like 9.

You may have to pester your ISP to get the target reset.
I tried this for many weeks / months after the storms last year which in my mind was the main reason I ended up on such a high SNR. Yes, I know my line length and stats are not great, but I also know it can perform a lot better.

It would be useful if you could post your line stats so we can get some sort of indication as to how your line is currently performing and offer further suggestions.

Line stats below following change of routers back to my speedtouch (formerly a 2Wire) last night (and a problem at the exchange which caused a total loss of sync all day yesterday).

Uptime: 0 days, 12:17:21
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1.760
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 9,21 / 40,16
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,5 / 16,5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 58,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16,0 / 17,5  -> I am forcing this slightly higher with DMT (at least I think I have!)
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 168 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 34 / 29.618.298
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 1.910
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 329

Thanks for helps
Vig

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:38:05 PM »

Hi
with your attenuation you could theoretically get a synch of about 2976Kbps with the default 6db Target SNR . Your FCC show that the error correction is working well (and fairly hard ) . If you do drop your margin too much the Corrected errors migh become uncorrected giving more problems . Have you tried the quiet line test by ringing 107070 option 2 ?.
Might be worth trying  Routerstats  to see how your line is behaving over a long period  you can get it from the link below
http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Regards Jeff
zen user

anything