Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wins Updates  (Read 3693 times)

Shaft

Wins Updates
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:22:25 PM »

I seem to recall some of the experts on this site aren't enamoured of windows update!
Well I have a copy of win XP which has just turned out to be iffy.   Needless to say I can't use the update site
but my PC keeps nagging about windows updates being turned off (I bought it on ebay 18 months ago thinking it was valid, activated it and all was well, then I had to reinstal windows  a few days ago due to some cock up on my part, when I tried to down load windows updates again it told me it was not a genuine copy and didn't pass validation for the region I was in.   I got in touch with Microsoft and the guy told me it was a volume copy for business not individual use, so I had been sold a pup.  Cost me £110. and I can't remember or find the receipt for who sold it to me)
My question is: is there a way to turn this off completely so that it doesn't keep getting up my nose.

Shaft

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Wins Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:34:42 PM »

Is it the Windows Genuine Advantage tool that is popping up ?

If so you could go to http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/RemoveWGA.shtml, download and run that little utility.....that should kill it.

Or this may be an option if the wgatray.exe process is running :-

Lauch Windows Task Manager.
End wgatray.exe process in Task Manager.
Restart Windows XP in Safe Mode.
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32\dllcache.
Lauch RegEdit.
Browse to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
Delete the folder ‘WgaLogon’ and all its contents
Reboot Windows XP.

Please note...if either of these options works....you did not hear of it on this forum...

Shaft

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »

Thandyou TD I will give them a try.   Let you know sometime whether it worked.     Still got a lot of progs to reload and other updates (not MS) to do.     Probably take me a couple of days as I also have a few games to reload.

Regards Shaft

Shaft

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »

I think I need some new glasses!!, just found what I needed in the security centre, it gives the option to how windows informs you about security issues.    I just unticked them all and the red Shield that was getting on my pip dissappeared.

thanks anyway guy

Shaft

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:57:28 PM »

just found what I needed in the security centre, it gives the option to how windows informs you about security issues.
That's not the same warning that your original post outlines.
That's merely telling you if your AV, Firewall or Automatic updates are working/up-to-date.
"Not if you have a genuine copy of Windows"

Now god forbid that I should say the guy from M$ gave you false info.

But, assuming he is correct, then you need to be careful, otherwise just by removing the nagging reminder does not bypass the fact it is or may be a iffy copy.

So, before you spend hours/days installing all your software and updates, make sure you follow TD's instructions and are then able to install any M$ updates by passing the WGA check.

Otherwise, you may find in 30 days time your PC boots into a black screen giving a warning message which you then have to acknowledge, which I believe also pops-up very frequently, and you end up back to square one.

edit
Unfortunately TD's link does not seem to go directly to the DL site.
So once at Softpedia just type "RemoveWGA" into the search box at the top of the page and it will take you there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:10:24 PM by oldfogy »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »

>>> Unfortunately TD's link does not seem to go directly to the DL site. <<<

Oooops  :-[

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »

TD.
It's not your fault.

I have come across a few sites that do not seem to allow links directly to the page you want.
I think it's designed to get you looking more at their site.

(One of which was last night, I spent ages trying to fix something that was not broke)

Shaft

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »

JUst to update you all, I found a copy of Wins XP Pro SP3 from Germany cost £39.50 including post so I binned the other one and installed this one (it's a Dell OEM reinstallation Disc, they included a short piece of J45 cable, 3 inches) and it works with no probs even authenticated.   Sh don't tell MS.
Though I would let you know sorry it took so  long to do so.

Regards Shaft