Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: xp/ie8 problem  (Read 2718 times)

jj4091

xp/ie8 problem
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:26 AM »

After my computer crashed recently I have managed to reload the operating system ( XP )  &  completely updated it, reloaded all my software successfully, but have a couple of issues that I cannot resolve & would like some advice please. First the m/s auto update keeps trying & failing to instal security update for flash player KB923789, second my pc will not allow me to download the latest adobe flash player from the adobe site( I wondered if  I need to turn off firewall, but I am reluctant to try) , but do I really need the latest flash player anyway & finally  when I clicked on my desktop link to open my broadband connection, internet explorer used to open automatically, this has stopped happening & I have to launch IE 8 from the start menu. Thanks

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: xp/ie8 problem
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »

Good morning, jj4091  :)

The best way to update your Flash is not to try and do it "online" though either MS or Adobe.
Go to a clean download site ( my favourite is http://www.filehippo.com/software/browsers/ )............download and save the file to your desktop or download folder, then come off line and run the .exe file to install..........install over the previous version is fine.

Note there are two versions of Flash...one for IE and one for all the other browsers.

As to your connection issue.......are you using an "always-on" router or a modem ?

jj4091

Re: xp/ie8 problem
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try your link. I am using an always on router but never leave it on as I always switch my pc off after use.  Quick update for any other computer illiterates like myself, the option to launch IE is in the bt broadband connection tab (where it says options ??? :) Thanks for the attempts to help
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:44:18 AM by jj4091 »

anything