Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: effects of bbc iplayer/skyplayer and sport  (Read 3833 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
effects of bbc iplayer/skyplayer and sport
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »

Hi

a bit late but just spotted this 
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4009-online-cricket-and-golf-viewers-create-spike-in-skyplayer-traffic.html

quote :
PlusNet analyse traffic patterns on their broadband platform (more info on their community site) which shows that Sky Player bandwidth would normally be around 13 Mbps on a weekday, whilst Friday showed peaks of 167 Mbps, over twelve times the normal levels:

tenfold+ increase  :scare:

Regards Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: effects of bbc iplayer/skyplayer and sport
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:05:20 AM »

Unfortunately adsl is not really designed to cope with this amount of bandwidth.  The exchange backhaul simply cannot cope - never mind the ISPs.

Each MSAN has a STM-1 155Mb optical fibre link for the backhaul (orange fibre in pic below).

Doesnt matter of youre on IPStream.. or with an LLU provider..  but that link from the MSAN is going to be holding up to 2000+ users.
Some of the older DSLAMs work a little differently..  you still have the 155 backhaul limitation..  but the backhaul is segregated into several VPs - and although there may not be as many users,  its not unusual for VPs to only say have 20Mb allocation.

Either way its not going to take too many users running at full pelt before contention kicks in.  :(

ADSL was originally designed as a cheap way for users to get broadband, by sharing the cost and the amount of available bandwidth.  With a leased line sure you can max it to the full whenever you want..  but the cost of several thousand per month is too expensive for most.  

Its one thing increasing speeds, but if users are going to be doing more and constant streaming is using up that bandwidth then things could start to crumble.
ADSL relies on traffic being bursty and not too many packets being requested at the same time for us to all be able to share the bandwidth.

Below is the official BT definition for the use of adsl

... the End Users require occasional fast but ‘bursty’ access to private network facilities and / or the Internet (via the Customer). The products are not suitable for End Users who require continuous bit-rate, full bandwidth services.

In other words it just wasnt designed to allow high rate continuous streaming :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 10:21:02 AM »

Hi
Thanks for the reply . Its a pity that some ISPs are not honest about the limitations of the system . Its amazing how many times you hear(see) the sentence " I am not getting what I am paying for ". Since I changed to Zen I must admit its a whole new ball game ,no real big problems like those with T******.
Regards Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »

>> " I am not getting what I am paying for ".

That I think is perhaps the crux...   the early adapters of adsl knew the score £30 per month was cheap for 512kb and a contention ratio of 50:1.  Many people do not realise that adsl is a shared resource.  The 50:1 stuff has now gone out of the window... because you cant really define an actual ratio..  not when ISPs are running at much higher than this.  Rate adaptive adsl also makes it impossible to work out a true contention ratio..  because some users may be on 8Mb, others on 6Mb & some on 2Mb... speeds are faster and the end user pays less.
The probability though is contention is far higher than that now that speeds for some users are more than 8Mb

Quick calculation of backhaul ratio - this will apply to both BTIPStream and LLU.  Based on a full MSAN of <8Mb users with a 155 ATM backhaul

255Mb ATM pipe / 2048 users per full MSAN = just 0.12 Mbps per user if all were online and using at same time.

Say the average connection speed is 6Mbps (I read a couple of years ago somewhere that it was around this for users on maxdsl)

2048 users x 6Mbps = 12,288 Mbps possible peak usage if all were to use their connection to the full

12,288 / 255 = 48  = 48:1 contention ratio

If available speeds are more than 8Mbps then the contention ratio will increase significantly.
I bet if you told people that they were actually only paying for 0.12Mbps then they wouldnt believe it :/

I think many people do forget the shared resource thing.. and dont realise that it doesnt take too many users maxing their lines to the full before things start to fall apart.

Me and jabns (who load-balanced a few lines)  once joked that between the 2 of us we could totally max out the Be backhaul at our exchange. :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker