Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Aluminium from Exchange to CAB  (Read 22858 times)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
Re: Aluminium from Exchange to CAB
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 04:56:20 PM »

I have an advantage point though since i have a friend that works for BTB tech and has done "favours" for 1 of my other friends in the past when he was on BTB. I would love to go virgin media but i just don't have the option for this so i am stuck with ADSL broadband. I know they are 2 seperate companies and actually fight against each other cause lets face it they are all about the money but i need to do something. My SP was sky and they didn't have that much of an understanding about my issues as they practically told me there was nothing they could do ONLY because the openreach engineer called them that day he was out on the 14/7/09 to find out what they wanted him to do. Openreach engineer did say there wasn't anything else more he could do but i am taking that as "there is nothing more i can do until instructed on what to do by the SP" as he can not just go ahead and start pulling cables up and replacing them then charging the SP for the job. Sky off course take than onboard literally as there isn't anything else more that can be done and instructed the engineer to close the fault down. I am going to attempt this strategy with BT to start off with and see where it gets me cause i have more of a fighting chance with ofcom if they refused to fix this with them being my BB SP now. Activation date for BT is the 7th of august got Mac code of sky within 24 hours. It also disappoints me that sky couldn't help me out with this cause i worked for there higher tech support myself and even there escalations team who are meant to "push" BT to fix things and i done everything for the customer to get them fixed. Even stuck with 1 customer for 6 months to get her fixed. Worse thing about that customer was all BT needed to do was change the RAS mapping which they said they done about 6 times and they actually didn't cause i got it sorted with them in 5 minutes. That customer also had about 5 SFI engineers sent out. Would surprise you what goes on behind the scenes.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 05:44:44 PM »

Where did you get the information from that suggests your line is 1.7 km in length?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »

Compliance Alert

AsKitz has correctly said we have to srictly support all isp's identicaly dosn't matter if it BT retail, bt broadband, virgin media, joe bloggs telecoms (Kitz telecoms  :-X)

None can recive preferential treatment, infact all the engineers effectively look at each job as trying to get the end user the best possible service.Who their sp is becomes imaterial.

Besides I couldn't trat and end user one way then at a later date differently just because their with another provider; I'ld feel like a clown if i did that

And If ofcomgot tohear of such a comment..... :police: :flamer: :police: 

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »

Where did you get the information from that suggests your line is 1.7 km in length?

I work for my own SP so i had benifits of only looking at my line and also line distance. Just for the records i NEVER made any changes to my own line i always called sky technical to do this *sky have spiders everywhere hence the reason i am saying that* lol. Well Ez sky just didn't really seem interested in fixing this for me which from there perspective i kinda understand cause putting the shoe on the other foot if you could avoid paying a large amount of money to replace a cable would you not do it?

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »

P.S BT retail in belfast do not have a clue and don't think what they are saying before they say it. Now the strategy i have has been in the back of my mind since i have found out about that cabling so that agent did not say anything to encourage my decission although i do agree with you both ofcom would go through the roof if they found out a comment like that was said. I backed out of the engineer today because i can't afford to pay almost £200 to BT because an engineer decided i wasn't worth the change of cabling because its only really me and not 100 ppl if you get what i mean. The thing about it is that engineer is sent on a  job to find noise on my line *which he would not have found* and not sent to change my cabling from the exchange to the cab. Now what kitz was saying earlier about being open with the engineer, i have no problem with doing that at all and sharing my technical knowledge with him but the thing that i would of been afraid of is him taking offense by it thinking i was telling him how to do his job even though i would not have meant it to come across that way. The first engineer that came out that was sent by sky i actually left a note for him to check certain things like the d-side and e-side cabling and to also check the speed from the PCP. I asked him to run an APTS test from my premises but i don't know if he done that or not i would think he would have to actually get the speed and calculate the error build aswell. Well everyone keep there fingers cross i finally come out of this with a conclusion ???
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:45:36 PM by coolsnakeman »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 08:52:24 PM »

How long have you had the Sky service on your current phone line?  Have you noticed any past fluctuations in attenuation?

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »

I have been with sky BB since june. Attenuation goes from 47Db to 50Db depending on how high you raise the speed. If the line is changed from ADSL to ADSL2+ then that is when the attenuation goes up to 50Db and the noise margins dropped below 7Db for downstream. Latest stats are below and this is me on ADSL:

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    7840 kbps    768 kbps
Line Attenuation    47.0 db    28.5 db
Noise Margin    6.4 db    14.0 db

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »

The attenuation rise between ADSL and ADSL2+ is perfectly normal - the higher frequencies used in ADSL2+ simply attenuate more than lower ones, resulting in a net higher attenuation figure.

If a line with 47-50 dB attenuation was accurately representative of it's physical length I'd personally be very happy with the connection speed you have.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »

That attenuation is only high because of the aluminium from the exchange to the cab. If i had a full copper line that attenuation for my line length would be in and around 20Db. That speed all looks very pretty for that attenuation and i see your point but it is causing hell for my throughput. I was connected to the same exchange in my previous property on a longer line about 2.5Km but it was a full copper line which resulted in 16Mb and an attenuation of 18Db. line length could have been recorded incorrectly though so i may have been closer than i thought. All these issues are a result of 1.6Km of aluminium cabling thats what this all boils down to.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 11:34:24 PM »

Go live with BT total broadband on the 12 august so 10 days after that being 22 august i will be on BT's back to get this cabling sorted out. It should be fun >:D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 01:45:55 AM »

heh good luck ...  after all they did promise you didnt they?  >:D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 11:31:31 PM »

Off course they did and they will have wished they never did muwhahaha >:D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »

:lol: :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 01:37:20 AM »

Just thought i would put up my latest stats before sky goes bye bye:

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    7840 kbps    768 kbps
Line Attenuation    47.0 db    28.5 db
Noise Margin    6.2 db    14.0 db

As you can see from my previous stats the downstream SNR is going between 6.1Db and 6.4Db which is average for BT but below average for sky as sky's average SNR is 7Db. Upstream SNR is sweet though it has stayed with the 14Db. Tell me something kitz this is something i have wondered but the upstream attenuation is calculated from the master socket back to the exchange is that correct? Those stats make me sick cause i know with my line length being so short that attenuation should be in its 20's or possibly lower. Why do i have to have 1970's cabling :'(

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 05:43:51 PM »

Don't suppose you know what version of the DMT tool i need to download for a Sagem F@ST™2404???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4