Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another CD-R query please ....  (Read 4802 times)

scottiesmum

Another CD-R query please ....
« on: July 14, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »

I too have a query about CD's  ......  I have downloaded,  via the BBc i player,  several episodes of The News Quiz, which are in MP3 format.    I then transferred those to a CD-R,  using  'Make an MP3 Disc on Nero Start Smart,  which plays on the computer and on one of our DVD players... however it won't play on our Hi-Fi or the car CD Players  !!     To compare, I have now copied a bought music CD to a CD-R and this plays on all players   !!   I then thought perhaps it was because  the News Quiz is in MP3 Format    (I don't really understand the different formats to be honest   :'( ) but in my own little way though this might affect things ......SO  ....  I proceeded to convert my original MP3 recordings of the News Quiz to Wave  format ..... BUT this resulted in enormous sized files which then would only fit 2 maximum on the CD-R, needless to say I abandoned this idea.    I'm obviously missing something  :-\  but don't know what  !    Can anyone shed any light on the wonders of  this technology please  :)   many thanks in advance.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Another CD-R query please ....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »

SO  ....  I proceeded to convert my original MP3 recordings of the News Quiz to Wave  format .....
BUT this resulted in enormous sized files which then would only fit 2 maximum on the CD-R,

It sounds as if you have created a Data disc, which some players will play.

The size of a file is irrelevant when creating a "Audio Disc"
The only thing that matters is the total time length (minutes) of the collection, "not the MB size"

Are you creating a "Audio Disc" or a "Data Disc"?

From Nero Start Smart, select CD then "Create Audio Disc" then drag and drop all the files you require over from the right side to the left hand side box, you will see a time-line on the bottom showing how many minutes you have selected, most normal disc's are between 80 & 90 minutes.

If you have selected too many files, just remove/delete the ones you need to" (this does not delete them from your PC, only from the compilation)

PS:
Don't forget to "Finalize" the disc.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:57:02 PM by oldfogy »

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »

Thank you OF for that ......   I did what you said and I now have 2 episodes on one CD  - each episode is approx 30 mins, of course I should have realised that my discs were 80 mins in duration  :doh:
  ::)   however, the one I recorded and pressed  "Make an MP3 Disc"  has all 14 episodes on it   !! That is the thing that confuses me   .....    The CD with the  14 MP3 recordings will only play on certain players whilst the Audio disc holding 2 episodes will play on any.     I assume therefore, but not at all sure if I'm correct, that MP3 format is  compressed !      I suppose that gives me the choice of either buying a dual purpose player  that will play MP3 discs  OR put  the recordings  in Audio format on several  discs..  Many thanks for your time.   :)

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:53:16 PM »

A standard audio CD will play on all CD/DVD players.
An MP3 CD or file, is an audio file that has been compressed. Because of the compression, you can get more data on one disc........hence your 14 episodes.
However, you need a CD/DVD player that is capable of playing MP3 format.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »

Thanks Exo ....  your final sentence confirms that one of our players in MP3 friendly but the rest are not.  I'm clear on it all now.    :)     Kate

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »

.. however it won't play on our Hi-Fi or the car CD Players  !!

Most car Hi-Fi units will not normally play MP3 files.
If you can find one that does it may be reasonably expensive.

But glad to hear you now have the problem under control.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »

Re car cd units most new ones will play MP3 discs, my new car has an MP3 capable unit, but my old one I just got rid of (4 years old) did not play MP3 discs.

As an aside in a few years time when the digital switchover is complete most all car radios will be useless, I'm not aware of any car radios being provided in new cars being DAB ones, at least not in small cheaper cars, maybe RR and Bentley do  ::) ::)
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:55:52 AM »

Our Ford C-Max has an AUX socket to plug your MP3 player in,you just then select the AUX button on the car CD player and it plays via the car sound system.
It saves having piles of cd's in the car.
Ours is a Sony Walkman which at present has about 60 albums on it.