Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Opinions please on Digital Superzoom cameras  (Read 11811 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Opinions please on Digital Superzoom cameras
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »

I am thinking of getting a superzoom camera, I used to have one a few years ago but then moved on to a Pentax DSLR which is great but a bit big to lug around with all the other kit when we have the grandkids. So I'm thinking of getting one which would be easier to manage and still capable of getting close shots if the need arises but dont have the DSLR. So far my choices have been either:

Canon SX1 IS
Olympus SP590UZ
Nikon P80
Pentax X70

Does any one have any views on these or other superzooms and how well they handle. I'm not expecting DSLR abilities but do want reasonable performance and image quality.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Opinions please on Digital Superzoom cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:43:56 AM »

Morning  :)

Of the cameras listed, I think the Nikon is the way to go.

I like it above the others because it has the shortest zoom....yup shortest. Very long zooms can be difficult to handle.
The shorter zoom also keeps lens distortion to a minimum, and this is helped in the Nikon alone by having a built in lens correction feature.

The zoom has a focal length range of 27-486mm (slr equivalent) which is more than enough for anybody, and a 10 MPixel sensor......not as much as some of the others, but again more than enough for printing anything up to A3.

It also has full manual control of exposure as well as the usual auto options.

The Olympus is not for me.....no manual control. However good everything else is, that for me is a huge no-no........however, it may suit you and your needs.

The Pentax has a x24 zoom..............26-624mm.....overkill and difficult to handle...money wasted.

The Canon is a good camera with a zoom just a tad longer than the Nikon and the same 10 Mpixel sensor......but let down a wee bit for me by having a minimum iso rating of 80 rather than the 64 of the Nikon.

I would suggest a look at the Canon and Nikon......into the shop and get your hands on them and see how they fit.  :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »

Interesting comments TD, the Olympus does have manual exposure, focus, white balance and sensitivity according to the Olympus specs page on their website. Plus it does have a RAW capture mode for still images. One minor nit with the Oly is that it uses xD cards - something none of our other cameras use so that's more to buy. So far I've only found the Canon and Olympus have a viewfinder dioptre adjustment which I would very much like, I find my wifes camera with an EVF difficult to use becuase it has no dioptre adjustment.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:24:01 AM by broadstairs »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »

Thats odd, according to the specs. I've seen....no manual exposure...........this copied :-

Exposure
Exposure control   Auto, Programme automatic, my mode, Beauty
Exposure Priority   Aperture priority, Shutter priority

Unless this "my mode" is manual ?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:05:06 AM »

Have you considered the Panasonic FZ 28 ?

18x optical zoom,10 mp and full manual operation.

I have a Panasonic and am very pleased with it.This was the model I was going to buy before be persuaded to get a DSLR (Sony A200).

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Super+Zoom/DMC-FZ28/Overview/1258590/index.html

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »

Have you considered the Panasonic FZ 28 ?

18x optical zoom,10 mp and full manual operation.

I have a Panasonic and am very pleased with it.This was the model I was going to buy before be persuaded to get a DSLR (Sony A200).

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Super+Zoom/DMC-FZ28/Overview/1258590/index.html

Yes it was on my list but I discounted it for some reason which escapes me right now, my son has a Panasonic FZ18 (I think) which he is very happy with. I'll take another look.

Right now I'm edging towards the Olympus.

Thats odd, according to the specs. I've seen....no manual exposure...........this copied :-

Exposure
Exposure control   Auto, Programme automatic, my mode, Beauty
Exposure Priority   Aperture priority, Shutter priority

Unless this "my mode" is manual ?

See here under Exposure Modes...

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

I stand corrected, Olympus themselves certainly mention a manual mode so there will be one...... :)

Off now to grab the reviewer on that other site by the **&%$$*** and have words about his accuracy....or lack of it... >:D

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »

I  have been using the Panasonic FZ 30 12x optical zoom with two anti shake options and all the bells and whistles you could wish for, including the view finder diopter adjustment.  The rotating view screen is handy for catching informal shots or ever the heads of crowds.

My wife uses a Panasonic TZ 30 with great results, both have leica lens.
We are both very pleased with our choice.

Pete

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »

First of all let me say "I am not into cameras" I just point, shoot and hope I get something (must upgrade from my box brownie one day)

However "Digital zoom v Optical zoom" from what I know and believe are totally different things and should not be confused with one-another.
It's often been said that stating the "Digital zoom specifications" is a marketing ploy to get people thinking that it is better than what it actually is with regards to the zoom feature.
IE: 4x Optical zoom & 80x Digital zoom.
I wonder how many people purchased that in the belief of it having a high Optical zoom feature.

Optical zoom (what we see) is what we usually need and usually want to be able to zoom-in closer to the subject.

Digital zoom, "will have to leave that to people more knowledgeable than myself.
Although on a certain TV shopping channel when selling cameras, they say "forget about Digital zoom"

edit
typo
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:59:52 PM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »

You're quite right OF. Digital zoom is simply electronic enlargement, which you can probably do better on your own PC.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 12:12:30 AM »

Yes the whole point of these 'superzooms' is that they have a large optical zoom range which is my reason for getting one. I used to have one a few years ago before the advent of DSLRs (which I now have) but I need something more 'portable' for general use but still capable of getting close if needed.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:48:35 AM »

I think I've now decided on the Canon SX10 IS, all of the cameras do well in reviews and most have the main features I'm looking for, so my reasons for this choice are

uses AA batteries and I have loads of rechargeables and charger
has dioptre adjustment
has hot shoe for additional flash
uses SD cards which I already have
has moveable/rotatable LCD screen which is a big bonus for high level or low level shots

now to persuade Mrs Broadstairs that I need to spend the money!!! That's the hard part  ::)  ;)

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »

I was gonna suggest the Canon as I`m a Canon user...Fan.... ::)

The reasons you put forward are the same as mine, AA batteries, SD Cards & a dioptic Viewfinder.

The only thing I believe the Canon SX10 IS, lacks is the ability to shoot Raw images.... :'(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

Well I got it today  ;D ;D ;D and I'm very happy so far with this camera. Really easy to setup and get started. It has face tracking which as yet I've not tried, only taken landscapes so far - well seascapes really. The one slight downside is that there is no filter thread for adding a UV or polarising filter, the supplied lens hood does fit even with the camera off which is not always the case with compacts. Anyway so far I'd recommend this camera if you want a superzoom and the Image Stabiliser works really well.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »

Glad you are pleased with your new camera Broadstairs.

Happy shooting.  :)
Pages: [1] 2