Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Section - ISP Detailed Information  (Read 7601 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
New Section - ISP Detailed Information
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »

Forgot to advise you guys of something I put together last month and thats a page where all information held on my database for a particular ISP is displayed on a single page.

Detailed ISP Information

After selecting the ISP, the following information about that ISP is shown.

Contact details:
Any official or community links
Set up and contract details
Products and prices
Latest ratings
Technical details.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: New Section - ISP Detailed Information
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:10:43 PM »

That is excellent Kitz and must represent an enormous amount of work. Thanks very much for all you do.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »

Hi Kitz, nice page/feature.

However, just a small update, VM have now done-away with their premium rate Tech support number and most enquiries are now dealt through 151 for existing customer or 0845 454 1111 dialled from none VM lines.

Would it be a good idea to place a "Last updated" marker, hopefully to avoid people saying it's out of date wrong info?

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/contact/service-fault.php

For help with your TV or Phone and for Internet Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »

>> VM have now done-away with their premium rate Tech support number

Thanks OF - Virgin Cable  TS  BB Tech support  0906 212 1111  now removed.

>> Would it be a good idea to place a "Last updated" marker,

The info is all stored in a database (actually a few databases) in numerous tables and each page is then created dynamically each time its called, therefore without storing a date for each individual item (of which theres loads) this would be quite difficult Im afraid :/
When I change any info its all changed in the backend system, rather than on a html page...  so when you ask for a page, its created entirely from info stored in the databases, which will auto update each time someone say adds a rating, or change of prices.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »

Kitz,Just had a look and thats great,each isp having all their info and ratings in one place.
The one thing I would just like to say is,I have just looked at the O2 page and noticed one of the user ratings someone has used 'foul' language in their ratings.
This person must be a forum member and tbh I don't think it is called for and the person in question should be sent a pm about this.
I am in no way narrow minded,but this is not neccessary.

The rating in question was dated 26-6-09

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »

Thanks UB - sorted.

I do every so often go through and check and remove any comments such as that - but must have missed that one. :no:

PS

Ive just checked the IP for who wrote that - they are not a forum member
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:20:29 PM by kitz »
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »

Thanks UB - sorted.

I do every so often go through and check and remove any comments such as that - but must have missed that one. :no:

PS

Ive just checked the IP for who wrote that - they are not a forum member

Thanks Kitz,sorry to have bothered you when you as so busy.

So you don't have to register on the site to rate your isp?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »

I am interested in OF's comments about VM and the new contact numbers that he has posted.

Only a few days ago I had a letter from VM giving me a new contact number for them........which differs from OF's ones.........I have been given 0845-454-2222

Now the letter to me describes this as the contact for "Virgin Media National Broadband"

"National Broadband"....hmmm.......I wonder if that is to seperate the dsl service from the cable service ( which is not national in that it is not always available ).......are VM seperating the two services, possibly as a precursor to selling off the dsl side of the concern ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »

Virgin must have changed their no's fairly recently - as I checked them before putting the pages up.

regards national broadband, this has always been kind of separate in a way - the term 'national' is fairly recentish, but Ive always also kept the 2 separate because they on occasion hold different info - designated as Virgin cable and Virgin dsl.

>> So you don't have to register on the site to rate your isp?

Nope - anyone can..  although the system checks that they are with that particular ISP.
The main site is way busier and attracts a lot more users than we see on the forum.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »

I am interested in OF's comments about VM and the new contact numbers that he has posted.

Only a few days ago I had a letter from VM giving me a new contact number for them........which differs from OF's ones.........I have been given 0845-454-2222

The number I posted above was taken today from the VM web-site.

The number I actually have written down in front of me at the moment also differs from any of the stated numbers, being, 0845 415 4422 which was also changed from being 0845 142 0000.

It seems to be that VM change the numbers very frequently so it's almost impossible to abreast of which is the current number to use.

Which is why "on the odd ocassion" I have had the need to phone them I always use 151 first and am then either transfered to the correct department or given a number to dial.

Being transferred usually happens when our daytime service is available, but during so-called out-of-hours then a different number is given (India) as they do not seem to have either the facility or capability of transferring during out of hours time zones.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »

Hi Kitz,

Many thanks for very useful facility which must take a lot of maintenance.

Re Zen, you could show this link which shows tech support 8 - 8 weekdays & 9 - 5 weekends

http://www.zen.co.uk/Contact.aspx

also the link you've included goes to their service alerts log instead of their main broadband sales page

http://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/ZenBroadband.aspx

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »

Thanks vm walter....  TS added :)

>> the link you've included goes to their service alerts log

Sorry which one is that?
The link that goes to their service overview page is the SS one?  or have I missed something somewhere else?
When I added that link the header on that page was "zen service overview" it now seems to be called Service Alerts.. so Ive changed that.
Is this maybe whats caused some confusion?
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »

Sorry Kitz,

You're correct about its name and it does give the service alerts - i.e. a list of maintenance activities and facilities outages / faults.

I had assumed if someone wanted data to help them choose an ISP, they'd be better off with a description of the tariffs rather than the list of current outages etc.

Kind regards,
Walter