News:

Author Topic: CD RW  (Read 4673 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
CD RW
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:50:13 AM »

Hi,

Can someone advise me please?  I want to copy some files to CD, have bought RW's  compatible with my PC and can copy ok.  What I want to do is to be able to copy the files, then remove them from my HD and then later on put them back on from the CD.  Is it safe to do this....if I delete the files (spreadsheets and word docs) from the HD, will I successfully be able to save from the CD to HD?

I'm copying the files by right clicking and clicking on Send To (my CD drive), is this the best way to do it?  What I don't understand is, why, if I want to alter something in the file on the CD it says I have to save to another file name, why can't I save it to the original file?  I know it's read only but I think I recall being able to do that when using disks on Win 98 SE (or maybe I've forgotten as it was a couple of years ago) but on Win xp it doesn't seem the same.  :o  It will also not delete the files from the CD, I have to wipe them which is annoying because it means they all have to be erased.   

If anyone can point me in the right direction here I'd be grateful...not done this in a couple of years as said and don't know if I'm doing it correctly anyway.

Many thanks.
Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: CD RW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »

Hello Chrissie

You can't normally copy files directly to a CD in that way, so if it works on your system you must presumably be running some special software which enables the capability. Not being a Windows user I don't know what software exists for doing this, but dredging my memory from years ago, I think that to make the saved files permanent on the CD and to make it readable on other machines the CD writing session had to be closed. After this, more files could still be written to the CD, but it would be a new session, and of course the drive would have to be multi-session capable.

With a session properly closed, the files are effectively permanent on the CD, and can be copied back or copied to a different machine at any time.

I may of course be talking total nonsense, so hopefully a Windows advisor will be along shortly. :)
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:26:35 AM »

Yes, you should be safe doing that.

If I may make one or two suggestions.

1) Burn two copies of each CD.........then if one goes wrong over time, you have a second back-up.
2) I would prefer to use CD-R as opposed to CD-RW as a RW disc can be reburned with fresh data, thus opening the possibility of an accidental write of fresh data to that disc which would overwrite the original files. A -R disc can be burned only once and would therefor prevent such an accident. You can add more data to a CD-R if you did not finalise the disc after the original burn, but it will be burnt sequentialy and will not overwrite the original.
3) Having burnt the disc, check the contents of it before deleting the originals from your HDD
4) Keep the discs out of direct sunlight so as to not degrade the burn.

Files on CD-R or RW discs are written as "read only" so they cannot be directly edited...........you must copy them back to the HDD, edit then reburn, and if you are reburning onto the same disc as the original you need a different file name or the disc will tell you that "the file already exists"

Just noticed roseway's post.............you can copy directly to CD in Windows XP using the built in Windows CD Writing Wizard, which will open automatically when you invoke the "burn these files to CD" command. ( CDs only....does not work for DVDs)

Yes, when it comes to deleting files from a CD-RW, it is "all or nothing"..........sorry don't know anything of Win.98 but no doubt someone will come along with the answer to that.

To get the files back on to your HDD, put CD into the reader, open that in My Computer, highlight the file in question and copy ( not move) it to the appropriate location on the HDD.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »

Personally, I`d simply use a burning App/Program & just CDR`s, a reasonable branded disc will cost approx < £10 for 100 CDs, ie < 10p per CD, cheap as chips.

Simply drag & drop the data to the Burning app & burn, no chance of deleting the data, as stated always burn 2 copies if its "Mission Critical".

I think what you are referring to with regards to CD-RWs is Packet burning software, whereby you Overwrite/Re-Write the data, in a similar way to a Floppy...I don`t trust this stuff & prefer to burn a copy that can`t be altered.... Yes its wasteful, not environmentally friendly, but it does work.

For anything really important, make sure you have 3 copies & store them in different places.

I try & cover every base, I use External HDDs, Internal HDDs & another PC with pretty much copies of all things Important, anything seriously important will also go onto CD/DVD...

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:29:48 AM »

Q. What I want to do is to be able to copy the files, then remove them from my HD and then later on put them back on from the CD.
A. Please remember that some CR RW disc's may need to use the same software at a later date as that which was originally first used.

Q. will I successfully be able to save from the CD to HD?
A. Yes, but don't forget to right click, select "Properties" and remove the "Read Only" check box marker after you move from CD to the HDD.

Q. What I don't understand is, why, if I want to alter something in the file on the CD it says I have to save to another file name, why can't I save it to the original file?
I know it's read only

A. See above, but by removing the read only marker you will not have to save with a different file name when saving to the HDD.

Q. I'm copying the files by right clicking and clicking on Send To (my CD drive), is this the best way to do it? 
A. Yes, especially if only saving one or two files at a time, with lots of files it's probably better to use your writer program.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate it.  I have done two CD's as recommended.  I used the "send to" which then saves the files to the CD by using the Wizard thingy and I've tested that they can be opened etc.  The CD software I have on here is Record Now!, but thought I'd leave using that for this time as the wizard worked well.  Once I've had the PC overhauled (today)....I shall hopefully put the files back on...well that's the plan.

Thanks again for helping me out, what would I do without the great people on this brill forum!

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »

Very pleased to help, Chrissie......you'll have no problems putting the files back in place on your rejuvenated PC, I'm sure. :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »

I know it's a bit late to reply now, but Windows XP's CD wizard is actually a decent (no frills, but works very well) CD burning application.

As stevie said, the "big floppy disk" functionality you were looking for is achieved with something called Packet Writing software - Nero InCD is one, I used to use one called Adaptec DirectCD (I believe it's now Roxio Drag-To-Disc). Your Record Now software might allow you to use something called DLA (Drive Letter Access) to do the same thing.

They basically format the CD in a special way so that you can access it just like you can save files to your computer's hard drive or other removable storage media (USB pen drive etc). Good idea in theory, but in practice can be a bit hit and miss.

In any case, I don't trust them either. I'm sure most people who have used this kind of software have a horror story about filling up a CD with stuff, then coming back to it and it not being there!

I admit I haven't used CD-RWs in a LONG time (several years) but I always found them to be slightly less reliable than CD-Rs. So what I would do is what others have suggested, 2 CDs (CD-R not CD-RW). Then you have a point-in-time backup of your stuff, should anything ever go wrong, on media that's going to last a bit longer than CD-RW.

They were a nice idea when the price of recordable CDs was prohibitive, but now they are so cheap it seems silly not to keep a permanent copy. :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »

....I shall hopefully put the files back on...well that's the plan.

Q. will I successfully be able to save from the CD to HD?
A. Yes, but don't forget to right click, select "Properties" and remove the "Read Only" check box marker after you move from CD to the HDD.

Sorry to repeat this but just-in-case you missed it when transferring the files back from the CD.

anything