Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router IP address issue  (Read 5093 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Router IP address issue
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »

I am having an issue with connecting some wifi HW to my system.

The problem:
I have poor wireless reception in one of my children's bedrooms and purchased some homeplugs.

1. Solwise PL-85PE (Homeplug wired)
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm
&
2. Solwise PL-85PEW (wireless version)
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pew.htm

My system is as per set out in the diagram [attached below]. The 2x DG834G v2 WAPs have fixed IP addresses and DHCP server off. I have 'b' and 'g' devices still and hence using 2 WAPs [the wireless feature in the ST585 has been disabled].

I plugged in the PL-85PE [into power socket] and connected it to a port on the DG834G v2 'g'. I then plugged in the PL-85PEW into a power socket.

Quick blub: The PL-85PEW can be accessed much like any router / wap interface via browser and has set up features. I assigned a fixed IP address to the PL-85PEW. 

The two homeplugs have no difficulty in seeing each other when plugged in to the power ring.

The issue is with the router [ST585]. It is not detecting the PL-85PEW. The WAP that it's plugged into sees it.

So my question is as follows:

If I connect any device with a fixed IP address to a port on one of the waps will the router also fail to detect it. This is a general question not necessarily to do with my specific hw ie lets assume I have a laptop and give it a fixed IP address and connect it to a free port on my WAP (which also has a fixed IP address) would the same thing happen.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:30:18 PM by risk_reversal »

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Router IP address issue
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:27:24 PM »

Is the ST585 running a DHCP server?

Does the PL-85PEW run a DHCP server?

Are the ST585 and PL-85PEW on the same subnet?

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »

Is the ST585 running a DHCP server?
Yes.

Does the PL-85PEW run a DHCP server?
No. The only settings are to either fix the IP address (which I have done) or to request an IP address from the DHCP server.

Are the ST585 and PL-85PEW on the same subnet?
Yes

Do I need a switch in this instance ie connect one of the waps to the ST585 via a switch and then connect the wired homeplug to the switch??

Cheers

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »

In the event that this may be of use to others here is some (useful) info.

Wired Homeplugs are transparent to routers. The wireless homeplug despite the fact that it has an IP address is also transparent to the router. The router will only see wireless clients attached to the PL-85PEW (according to Solwise) and this is the way that it behaves on my router.

I finally managed to get this combo working. Basically, I reset everything and it worked. Not sure whether there was a gremlin about who knows.

I did flash the PL-85PEW to the latest firmware which added MAC filtering.

Not sure I would recommend this combo to novices but otherwise with a bit of hassle it seems to work (so far).

Cheers

tobiz

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »

I have just bought the same Solwaise pair an 85PE and 85PEW, I'm running a Draytek 2500 ADSL router to which my PC is connected.  With the 85PE connected to the router and the 85PEW connected to my laptop via an ethernet cable the laptop connects to everything ok including the Draytek control web page on 192.168.1.1.  If I however connect the laptop via the 85PEW & WiFi (the reason for purchase) then the laptop won't access the internet etc, the browser says 'looking up web-address-xyz'. If I connect the laptop to 192.168.1.1 via the browser I get the 85PEW config page and not the Draytek one, the 85PEW is set to disable DHCP and does seem to have an IP address allocated by the Draytek DHCP server. It seems to me the laptop when wifi connected to the 85PEW has been given a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 from the Draytek DHCP but the 85PEW also has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 hence no packets get routed to the Draytek.  There's something seriously wrong here!  I coud change the IP address of the 85PEW to 192.168.1.100 (say) which is not in the Draytek DHCP range which might then mean packets get correctly routed to the 192.168.1.1 Draytek as the gateway. But then how do I access the 85PEW? The manual(??) says it has an IP address of 192.168.1.1. Will it now be accessible on 192.168.1.100?