Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firefox 3.5.2 unresponsive script  (Read 8223 times)

nomeames

Firefox 3.5.2 unresponsive script
« on: August 07, 2009, 07:46:44 AM »

I get this error message with page scripting especially while using yahoo mail. Not sure if this is a problem with FF 3.5.2 or yahoo. This problem seems to have started with FF 3.5. Before that I never had this problem. So I assume it might be a problem with FF and not yahoo. The error message I get is something like... "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete...."

Wonder if anyone else here is facing this issue. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Firefox 3.5.2 unresponsive script
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:05:23 AM »

I have seen that message once or twice in the past, so I rather doubt that it's related to FF 3.5 specifically. I seem to recall that when it happened to me and I tried a different browser, the page locked up completely, but that may just be a false memory. Could you try a different browser?
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »

According to the Mozilla help pages at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Script_busy_or_stopped_responding the procedure is....

"This warning message:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete

means that some internal script ran out of time. This can happen when a script has a lot of work to do, or it can happen when the script has a bug.

If you suspect that the script has a bug, or if you do not know what script is running, then press the "Stop script" button to stop the script.

If you know that some lengthy operation is in progress, then press the Continue button to allow the script to continue working. You might have to do this repeatedly to allow the script to finish.

Examples of operations that can be lengthy are: sending a message using a very large mailing list, fetching new mail using the webmail extension, sending personalized messages using the Mail Tweak extension. "

Should add that Yahoo mail is ok in Opera.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:36:26 AM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »

Hi,

I have FF 3.5.2 and have Yahoo mail.

I don't have any problems,saying that I only now use it for sending the odd message.I much prefer using Google GMail.

nomeames

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »

I have seen that message once or twice in the past, so I rather doubt that it's related to FF 3.5 specifically. I seem to recall that when it happened to me and I tried a different browser, the page locked up completely, but that may just be a false memory. Could you try a different browser?

No problem whatsoever with IE8. Just that I like FF more than IE and been using FF since a long time. Also, lots of pages doesn't load the way it should in FF 3.5 and gives a funny look whereas the same page opens fine in IE8.  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »

I'd guess it's most likely  (javascript?) code on the site thats either not compatible with that browser version or it has a small bug in the code that works fine with other browsers, but FF cant take a correct guess.

Different browsers and even different versions of the same browsers may render javascript and even CSS slightly differently. 
I know Ive come accross this several times in the past where despite code being W3 compliant, they dont always interpret it the same..  which can be very annoying if youre trying to design something that works in all browsers.  IE can sometimes be annoying and not quite display how you want.. but it can also be 'quite good' if you have  a bug in you code as it will often take a guess at what it should be.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »

Unc ....   as you have mentioned GMail thought I'd bring this to your attention  .... I don't know how relevant it is, but it's worth being aware of !

I receive the regular Windows Secrets Newsletter and this was in the last one  ....

http://windowssecrets.com/2009/08/06/01-Gmail-flaw-shows-value-of-strong-passwords

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:06:05 PM »

Thanks for that Kate,it does make interesting (if not scaring you to death) reading.

I have (touch wood) never had any problems with Gmail,and in all the time I have used it never had any unwanted spam.

I do actually do a lot of what you should do according to your link,but tbh very rarely change passwords.

nomeames

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 12:00:52 PM »

I'd guess it's most likely  (javascript?) code on the site thats either not compatible with that browser version or it has a small bug in the code that works fine with other browsers, but FF cant take a correct guess.

Different browsers and even different versions of the same browsers may render javascript and even CSS slightly differently. 
I know Ive come accross this several times in the past where despite code being W3 compliant, they dont always interpret it the same..  which can be very annoying if youre trying to design something that works in all browsers.  IE can sometimes be annoying and not quite display how you want.. but it can also be 'quite good' if you have  a bug in you code as it will often take a guess at what it should be.

Updated my java yesterdy and the problems seems to have gone away for now. Will wait and see. Perhaps it was the older java version causing this. Thanks all for responding.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »

I'm glad the problem has cleared :)

Thanks for letting us know
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

nomeames

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 04:25:49 PM »

Dumped Firefox for the time being. Uninstalled from my work computer as well as personal ones. (All problems started appearing after ver 3.5.x release. Prior to that I never had any problem with Firefox.

The unresponsive script didnt come back though but firefox became too slow even when the internet speed was excellent.

Bye bye firefox welcome chrome/ie.