Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: D-link DSL 2640R 'beyond the web interface'  (Read 15275 times)

tnp

D-link DSL 2640R 'beyond the web interface'
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »

Got one of these spare from a mate with tal-talk.

Works OK for me on Claranet..after I phoned them to reduce my login name to less than 32 characters. This router doesn't allow more!!!

The reason I used this one is that it is supposed to have snmp support, but it doesn't.

Or at least, it ain't switched on!

Now I can telnet in, and there is stuff that suggests snmp is there somewhere, but any attempt to contact it on the snmp port results in a timeout.

Does anyone know the magic spell telnet wise to enable it? Or indeed ANY  telnet command documentation that might help me stumble on it by accident..

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
Re: D-link DSL 2640R 'beyond the web interface'
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »

Try the Dlink site and search under DSL-2640B, this is the "generic" model.

I believe R is the designated TT model

tnp

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »

I'll try but I didnt find nowt last time

tnp

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »

Bit more info, not good.

The 2640B has a web interface to enable snmp.

The 2640R is I think deliberately crippled for TalkTalk., and can't even have its firmware changed - leastways the firmware files on D-links site(s) are for an 'older' version and wont install.

Telnet revealed loads of stuff, including how to set every snmp parameter except how to turn it ON.

So, if you want SNMP, get the 2640B.

I WISH these manufacturers wouldn't de-feature routers.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »

This is the problem when you get a model which is designed for a specific ISP. TT have the right to do what they please with these routers which after all are supplied free to customers (I have a Huwai one in my cupboard) and after all the manufacturer just wants to sell boxes so if its easy they will do what the customer wants especially if the order is large enough.

The 2740B model does indeed to SNMP as I have one, there are a few glitches in its firmware but overall the 2740B is a good router.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »

And if you convert it to a DG834N it's even better.
  Eric

tnp

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:03:11 PM »

This is the problem when you get a model which is designed for a specific ISP. TT have the right to do what they please with these routers which after all are supplied free to customers (I have a Huwai one in my cupboard) and after all the manufacturer just wants to sell boxes so if its easy they will do what the customer wants especially if the order is large enough.

The 2740B model does indeed to SNMP as I have one, there are a few glitches in its firmware but overall the 2740B is a good router.
Yup. Sad but true.

Came with someone's details already entered and their own very simplified manual. Designed for complete twats presumably, which tells you a lot about how talktalk see their typical customer.

Dunstonuk

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »

Hi

Been seaching for firmware replacements for the 2640R from talk-twa----   , you can replace the firmware with that of the B ot thr R but not the T by changing the ending in the firware file  to .ras  the talk-T versions that being the R and some of the Bīs will not upgrade unless you change the file ending.

so the file from Dlinks site  DSL-2640R_fW_1.00  with then become DSL-2640R_FW_1.00.ras  this works for the B and R versions.

As for the SNMP in the 2640R  D-link assure me that it is there, but not tell me more because the model was an R.

I know this post is old but maybe the poster has notify still active on it.

Regards
Dunstonuk

gusnor

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »

Dunstonuk,

i tried the adding .ras to a 2640B firmware then uploading to a 2640R, but the same error as normal "Page cannot be displayed" and the URL of 192.168.1.1/Forms/upload_1

Your post seemed to indicate that this process would allow the B firmware to be loaded onto an R or B model, am i doing something wrong?

cheers