Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MAC Code  (Read 5151 times)

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

MAC Code
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:22:12 AM »

Hey peeps long time no post :)

anyways, I have decided to move on from BT business as just over the last month or so they have been killing me with their hardcore throttling, I mean all weekend I cannot even force myself to try and download something as I know I will be lucky to get 5kb download speeds compared to roughly 850-900kb normal max speeds that I was getting before.

BT have seriously put the squeeze on me and all because I use "maybe" 50 - 60 gig a month download and then the following month I will have say 30 gig downloaded and for the extreme throttling they are doing to me I just cannot see why they are doing it because some months I dont download alot and others I maybe have 60-70 max and for them to rape my speed the way they are doing is ridiculous, anyways I got a mac code eventually from them, I called them on thursday last week and was told they dont give out mac codes and then they gave me a number to call for one which needless to say was a dead line. I eventually got hold of someone who made me wait about 20-30 minutes on the phone only to be told their system was down and that he would call me back on tuesday with a code, well I didnt believe he would call back and I was right, but he called back today which is thursday, so I guess tuesday and thursday to BT are swapped around with thursday being at the begining of the week and tuesday near the end :)

anyway long story short, I got my mac code but it starts with LY, now all my other mac codes that I have had in the past have started BB and I was wondering does this LY code mean that I am LLU'd and will I have to get cut off from the inet before I can hook up with a new isp ?

Cuz if it means they have gave me a LLU code I will be seriously peed off as even BT total broadband gave me a BB mac code last october so that I could migrate to BT biz and if they have deliberatly gave me a LLU mac code so that its more trouble than its worth to change providers I will be MAD.

So my question to any of you is, does this new type of mac code I have got from BT mean that I am LLU'd or is it ok and will be readily accepted like my previous BB mac codes ?

cheers for any info

E.S.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: MAC Code
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:59:20 PM »

Hiya since the end of 2006 MAC codes have been generated by BTOpenreach and are in the format of <"L" 10 alphanumeric>/<5 alphanumeric>

Its something to do with standardisation and since that about that time all lines have also been classified on their system as LLU - regardless if it is IPStream or LLU.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 04:42:57 AM »

Hey Kitz, so my next question is, Do you think I will have any problems moving to another ISP because of that MAC code or should it just be a normal switch over, as I have heard shitty things about ppl having to terminate their line then wait for tags to be lifted and then for them to finally sign up with a new ISP which can take ages for all that to be done and dusted in regards to this LLU caper.

Basically, do you think most if not all ISP's will take this MAC code ?

cheers
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 04:48:47 AM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 11:00:05 AM »

Should be no problems with the MAC key and all ISPs should take it.

Depends who youre moving to as well though if youre going to another ISP who uses IPStream, then downtime should be minimal - normally during the wee small hours.
Most of the problems seem to occur if LLU is involved. - Where are you going to?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 05:54:24 AM »

I was thinking of going with zen business, the 79.99 a month package which they say is unlimited and no traffic shapeing or port blocking involved. I know its expensive but I am prepared to pay that if A, its truly unlimited and B, they dont block ports or slow me down because am rapein their bandwidth.

http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/ML_Business.aspx?page=527

If their is a F.U.P involved which I cant seem to find one then they can forget about me signing up.

The reason I am moving is with bt biz which they just recently changed to bt total biz was magic to start with and I mean magic, I had no problems for the first 6 or so months, and then all of a sudden it gets changed to bt total and p00 starts to go downhill, I was downloading massive amounts to start with and no matter what time of the day I would never go lower in speed than about 6mbit and that was at peak times, the rest of the times I would be getting close on 7000kbps download speeds when doing tests, all of a sudden that just stopped and heavy traffic shapeing came into being overnight and some months I would download a fair amount then the next month I would be lucky to hit 30gb, the dude on the phone from bt said last month or this month so far I had downloaded 67gig and the previous month was 30 odd and for them to rape me as much as they were doing I just couldnt put up with it any longer, I would be lucky to get my fullspeed for more than 6 hours aday and that was from say 6am til maybe 12pm if I was lucky.

If zen truly are unlimited and dont block/shape p2p and even http traffic like bt now do then as I say I dont mind paying as long as I get left alone to do what I want as it seems no ISP caters for hardcore internet users anymore and they all have like 50gig limits unless you are lucky enough to live in an area with a 24mbit download capability, to which I dont and 8mbit for phone lines and 14 or 16 via sky is the max.  at the moment I pay 40 odd quid a month for bt biz and I now see that since they introduced bt total businness broadband instead of what it was called before, the price has went down by 15 quid, so that can only mean 1 thing, lower costs = worse product, and the funny thing is, they havent made my costs go down, they still charge me the same £45 inc tax.

So, do you think Zen is worthy of my bandwidth rapein ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 06:03:00 AM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:57:40 AM »

Zen don't have any FUP or traffic management arrangements. What you pay for is what you get - an unthrottled connection at all times and for all types of use.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »

Indeed the Zen business package is one of the very few truly unlimited accounts you can get and doesnt have any traffic shaping.

Your migration from BT to Zen should go straight through without any hitches.  Good luck :)

Must say I was surprised to see that BT seem to be applying more or less exactly the same restrictions on the business account as the private accounts now particulary since you were paying the higher price :/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:48:07 AM by kitz »
-----

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 12:45:08 PM »

Ah, thats magic to hear, although I do kinda grudge the 80 quid plus vat, but sinces its only a monthly rolling contract then it is easier to come out of if I suddenly cant afford it or if they change their terms.

well I am gunna do the switch today and hopefully everything will go smooth and I hopefully get atleast higher than 5k during the weekends for downloading :)  p2p that is.