Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 26067 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 10:00:47 PM »

Just picked this up from another forum and thought it might be of interest.

Microsoft Vista:
"They're essentially trying to take control of the security user interface functions"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/5326654.stm

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 11:01:56 PM »

hmmmm  interesting read there OF

At the same time as Microsoft starts closing off parts of the operating system to security software vendors, it has also released its own security product known as OneCare. The all in one package is designed to look after your computer and all your data, leaving the whole gamut of security on Microsoft's shoulders.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 11:11:36 PM »

To be honest I don't really mind them doing that.
I was going to add, "depending on the charge" but I suppose it will have to be built into the original Vista package.

Lets face it, to many programs conflict with MS at the best of times, so at least this would be 2+ less to worry about.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 11:21:30 PM »

I think I was just wondering what affect it would have on the rest of the industry.
It would certainly put more business the way of M$.

I guess I recall the days when Netscape used to be the browser of choice by most users..  until M$ started packaging IE within windows... and pretty soon IE was used by something like 95% of users.

One thing I will give M$ credit for is that they are very good at packaging and marketing a product, so that it becomes used by the majority.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »

Like the time they supplied schools etc with a FREE PC.  :angel:
Not the software though, they had to buy that.  :-X
ONE free PC, and years of revenue from software purchases. Now thats what I call good buisiness sense.  :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 11:59:48 PM »

indeed  ;D
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »

Just partly ripped from elsewhere and makes some interesting reading.

For Business use:
1. Ultimate: ....... Suggested retail price for full package product, $399.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $259.00 USD

2. Enterprise: ..... Enterprise edition is only available to Microsoft Volume License customers, it is not available for retail purchase.

3. Business: ........ Suggested retail price for full package product, $299.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $199.00 USD.

For Home use:
4. Premium: ........ Suggested retail price for full package product, $239.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $159.00 USD.

5. Basic : ............. Suggested retail price for full package product, $199.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $99.95 USD.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 04:45:26 PM »

It would be interesting to know if Vista will be available OEM like XP is. I doubt it, and I can't be bothered to find out.

Know that I work fulltime i know i wont be spending my hard earned cash on Vista retail/upgrades. Over the last couple of years M$ has had hundreds of pounds of licence fees from me and people I have done jobs for and when I  count the culumative cost of having XP on each of our home PCs I feel i've wasted some money at least!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 06:43:34 PM »

I hesitate to say it (well, no, I don't hesitate) but there's a wealth of alternative options out there. Several Linux distributions are available as live CDs - you boot and run the system from the CD and nothing gets written to your hard disk. You can test all the features of the OS with no risk, the only caveat being that progam loading from the CD is rather slow. And it doesn't cost you a penny, given a fast internet connection, apart from the price of a writeable CD.

Eric
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »

Roseway:
Yes, you are right at there being a lot of alternatives out there.

But Bill Gates along with many other manufacturers play on the fact (psychology) that a very high percentage of people are, well not really lazy, but more of the stick-in-the-mud types and either don't like changes and are prepared to just go along with what they already know, "just in case things go pear shaped".

Just heard that there will also be a 32 bit version available, obviously to break us in gently before we have to upgrade our PC's to be able to use the newer software thats being developed for the 64 bit PC's.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 07:06:52 PM »

It would be interesting to know if Vista will be available OEM like XP is. I doubt it, and I can't be bothered to find out.

I imagine it will be... in fact I'd be incredibly surprised if it isn't! As regards pricing, obviously not sure yet.
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 07:45:23 PM »

I expect any new OEM versions will have tighter licensing and distribution conditions than ever before.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 07:59:35 AM »

But Bill Gates along with many other manufacturers play on the fact (psychology) that a very high percentage of people are, well not really lazy, but more of the stick-in-the-mud types and either don't like changes and are prepared to just go along with what they already know, "just in case things go pear shaped".

Dead right of course, and a completely different operating system is a bit of a step in the dark. In fact, one of the biggest problems experienced by Linux newbies is that they expect things to work the same way as they do in Windows, and get frustrated when they don't. It takes a bit of perseverance to get used to different ways of doing things, but it's ultimately satisfying. I'm long past the crossover point where Linux becomes easy to manage and Windows seems totally obscure.

The transition can be made in easy steps though. I mentioned the live CDs, and one of these can be the introduction to Linux. Then you can install it in a dual-boot arrangement, and still retain the Windows comfort zone for as long as you want. Initially at least there will probably be a few Windows programs which you can't do without, but over a period you will find good Linux alternatives to fill the gaps. There is a considerable learning curve, but it's good fun if you've got the time and the inclination.

Eric

[/missionary mode]
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 10:19:29 AM »

The challenge I found was to decide on a distribution and then stick to it.

Its difficult for would-be Linux users to commit because different Linux fans will praise or rubbish the various distributions and Windows users don't know what choices to make. I tried Ubuntu linux for a while which some praised as being so easy to get running given its Debian roots whilst others have rubbished it in favour of distros like SuSe which I have no experience of.

The other problem is having some understanding how Linux works! Most "power" Windows users know the file system, system configuration, settings, basic troubleshooting inside out, whereas if I sat at a linux PC right now, I wouldn't know anything at all about it.

I did get on OK with Ubuntu, managed to install a few extra program packages etc but the best bit was things like networking and hardware worked out of the box (was an old Dell PC). I found the range of software supplied as standard to be confusing, as many programs duplicated the functionality of others (at least you have a choice!) and things like the "multimedia" applications would only play audio or certain formats (even with propriatory libraries installed) so there seemed to be a lack of a all-in-one multimedia player bundled with the software whereas on Windows things like RealPlayer, WMP can play virtually anything audio or video. ... I'll stop boring you now!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 10:27:49 AM »

I wont repeat all of what you just said,

But I think that was what put me of Linux in the beginning (too many ifs, buts, choices and stories of different versions).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything