Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 26068 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Windows Vista
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:37:07 PM »

Has anyone tried this yet and what do they think so far?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 01:38:30 AM »

I did try the Longhorn Version during it's early stages but got fed up playing around with it, which was probably a good thing, especially with the built-in "Phone Home, Movie and Music blocking tactics" being employed by Microsoft.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32280

I was going to also post the link for the article with regards the movie blocking (which I also posted on CA) but it's that slow again at the moment I can't find it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:58:06 PM »

Price of Microsoft Vista finally leaked.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/28/vista-pricing-leaked/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:27:10 PM »

good spot by someone.

Lets hope that it isnt that much more than XP prices
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 06:01:05 PM »

in other words, not much more than you'd be paying for XP today, and nowhere near the high of $450 "Canadian dollars" that'd we'd previously heard
But like most things these days, only time will tell.

Also which version of Vista are they referring to, although they say compared the price to "XP Home" because as I understand there will be several versions available.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 06:09:12 PM by oldfogy »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 06:22:51 PM »

XP Home or Pro aren't cheap, even if you buy OEM your looking at around ?60 and ?100. Those Vista prices leaked were for retail i would imagine?

At the end of the day, when XP seems old and even more insecure and featureless, if Vista was a really big step (which it wont be for a long while - other than visually) I would just go over to an alternative OS which could cost, well... nothing at all.

And for pity sake, I thought when  XP Home and Pro looked to draw together Win 2K and 9x/ME I thought MS were on a mission to simplify their products, now Vista comes in six vaguely different editions - very helpful.
I appreciate the "starter" edition is for low power PCs, and that is primarily to compete with open source software and existing Windows versions but the other editions are only going to complicate matters further for consumers.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »

Just to say I installed the Vista beta 2 yesterday. I downloaded it a while back but had lost the key! Anyway I just put another hard disk in my comptuer and unplugged my existing one and have just installed it on there. When it expires or I need to go back I just swap out the drives again.

Got a screenie here.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 11:04:51 AM »

Got a screenie here.
Another crawler, I see. :)

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »

>> Another crawler, I see

lol  ;D
-----

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »

Lol, indeed that is part of my building good will on the forum  :D

Everyone gets on well here as it is, so i didn't need to have the forum on show in another window (you can see it as the Firefox task minimised on the task bar)

I have to say Vista has been very stable so far. I haven't been gaming on it or anything but the most serious problems so far have been trying to install drivers and some programs and things like realplayer and driver-bundled software being shutdown. Lots of stuff though like Firefox, Adobe Photoshop Elements just installs and works fine like on previous versions.

Some people have reported on forums performance problems, but I haven't had any. When MS releases RC1, that should go out for public testing anf fix some outstanding issues so you might fancy trying it. Finally there is the horrid overuse of the words "customize" and "center" everywhere despite having chossen localised settings which make us of proper English.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 03:20:46 PM »

Hi Soms.

Have you had any problems with regards to copywrite DVDs or Music with Media Player.
Either playing or ripping?

Only there was an article that I picked-up-on some time ago saying that it was going to block most activities with regards "Watching, Playing and ripping" copywrite material.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 03:22:33 PM by oldfogy »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 03:22:17 PM »

I haven't had a go at any DVD/CD tasks yet. I'll try it out and see what happens.

Unfortunately my drive is faulty, so when burning media it failed anyway lol but i'll see what can be played and ripped.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »

Thanks, much appreciated

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 04:44:29 PM »

Music CDs can still be copied to HDD fine using WMP11. It gives you the usual prompt asking if you want to add copy protection and you tick the box saying the content is protected by US and international treaties.

I tried to play a DVD in WMP, without any other DVD decoding application installed. It loaded up the disc contents but gave me an error which itself was eronious. It told me it was low on memory and to close other programs. I was only running one Internet Explorer window and WMP and had over 600MB of physical memory available.

I tried installing a third party DVD decoding app, in my case PowerDVD 6 OEM but that seems to incompatible. I get a compatibility warning and say run anyway and nothing happens. So as of yet no DVD playback.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »

The article I referred to earlier in this thread was in:
Personal Computer World, May 2006, vol.29 NO5, page 113

Unfortunately I no longer have the mag or the on-line link to the article, but it made excellent reading.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4