Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tweaking Broadcom based routers  (Read 49714 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Tweaking Broadcom based routers
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »

Hi
@strotium90
quote Thanks a lot for this tweak...it has saved me months waiting for my snr to drop from 21dB

That SNR margin is extremely high .The normal maximum Target SNR margin is 15db .

see this SNR explanation   for more info

Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:53:40 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 03:01:59 AM »

read this thread several times, interesting stuff - even prompted me to try telnet for the first time ever. Handy thing to keep in back pocket for routers that DMT won't work with......which got me thinking (dangerous I know ;) )....

is there an easy way to find out what chipset a particular router is running, or is it a case of trawling through the tech specs of each one to find out ??
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 07:09:44 AM »

Strangely, most manufacturers seem to be a bit unwilling to publicise what chipsets they use, so you probably won't find the information in their user manuals. In many cases people have only found out what they use by dismantling the routers and looking at what's inside. Sometimes you can get the information from the telnet interface by guessing what the commands do, but not all routers have any telnet capability.

What I'm saying in a long-winded way is that there's no simple answer. :)
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »

Hi GJ,

E.g.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16134181

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/2Wire/chipset.types/DMT-Controller.html

You can also get hints from system logs, but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, ....

In this case I believe the 2Wire is custom manufacture but possibly based upon a name mentioned below:-

INF
P0000-00-00T00:00:00
nand:  Samsung NAND 32MiB 3,3V, size: 33554432
INF
P0000-00-00T00:00:04
scc:  SCC DMA started
INF
P0000-00-00T00:00:05
wave:  Atheros driver version: 2.0.0
INF
P0000-00-00T00:00:08
initd:  ---------------------------------------------
INF
P0000-00-00T00:00:10
cm:  cm initialized
INF
initd:  libcm initialized
INF
ulib:  System clock initialized to Tue Jan 13 12:57:22 2009
INF
ulib:  Board serial number: 270919036080
INF
ulib:  Board product name: BT2700HGV

Kind regards,
Walter

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »

Strangely, most manufacturers seem to be a bit unwilling to publicise what chipsets they use, so you probably won't find the information in their user manuals. In many cases people have only found out what they use by dismantling the routers and looking at what's inside. Sometimes you can get the information from the telnet interface by guessing what the commands do, but not all routers have any telnet capability.

What I'm saying in a long-winded way is that there's no simple answer. :)

shame really, it would make the process of choosing a new router far easier for those of us who need a tweak here & there :(

walter, I completely agree that a little knowledge is dangerous...hell, look at me ;)

Ah well, I've got 4 good 2640B's to keep me going for a good while yet, as long as ipv6 doesn't get in the way......

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 11:12:02 AM »

Hi GJ,

It's not just you - we're all learning the hard way (I certainly am) because of the dysfunctional and obfuscational methods employed some times.

I was asked to help a lady in a nearby village who was distraught after being without service for over a month. She had made 33 calls to India, had 6 BT O visits and 5 new modems.
I arrive with my 2700 HGV and confirm (just as the BT Openreach engineers had probably done) that her sync speed was absolutely first class - one of the best I've seen.

BT O engineers are performance managed and get into significant trouble if they take longer that the, sometimes quite ridiculous, time limit of 90 minutes.
Little wonder then that they clear down a fault in this case probably in say 5 minutes. Tick the box - more brownie points etc. etc.

The next problem is that India is not the UK and their crib sheets have failed to hammer home that an ADSL service requires
a) Synchronisation
and
b) Authentication

Also note that they must be trying to be a co-operative, helpful and polite organisation without a real understanding of the practical situation nor how the repair engineers are controlled

Fortunately I have e-mail contacts in high places and managed to reach the "Director of BT my help".
VERY thankfully she had two senior people spend a bank holiday week-end at the Kingston Upon Thames RAS who then managed to restore the required data.
(There was one extenuating circumstance in that this problem first happened during a power outage just as BT were modifying Kingston)
However I don't think that's a sufficient excuse which was exacerbated by the inevitable riposte that "it's not my department" to my outrage at BT High Level Complaints that this was an example of crass stupidity.

Sorry for the off-topic rant !

Kind regards,
Walter

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 11:39:16 PM »

Sorry for the off-topic rant !

Kind regards,
Walter

no probs at all walt :)

slightly back on-topic, I don't know if I'm alone on being concerned that, fibre notwithstanding, a lack of new suitably-tweakable routers will have the likes of me (who use DMT on a permanent basis, have to tweak to get the best out of my line) scrabbling around for older, pre-owned routers and hoping we can still find them as our existing tried-and-tested kit begins to bite the dust :(   Like I said above, I've currently got 4 D-Link 2640Bs, all serviceable, and hope they will last me for years to come......

...but what if they don't ?????   Will I have to settle for sub-standard speeds as the availablity of tweakable kit slowly trickles off to the great WEEE skip in the sky :(   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:46 AM »

I'm not sure that it's true to say that the availability of tweakable routers is reducing. Certainly Thomson have done their best to stop users from tweaking, and ISPs tend to reduce the functionality in their custom firmwares, but there are plenty of alternatives. Netgear routers (for example) all give access to their telnet interface using the hidden 'debug' URL, and their Broadcom-based models are all tweakable. Broadcom chipsets remain very popular, and apart from the exceptions mentioned, most will be tweakable.
  Eric

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »

I'm not sure that it's true to say that the availability of tweakable routers is reducing. Certainly Thomson have done their best to stop users from tweaking, and ISPs tend to reduce the functionality in their custom firmwares, but there are plenty of alternatives. Netgear routers (for example) all give access to their telnet interface using the hidden 'debug' URL, and their Broadcom-based models are all tweakable. Broadcom chipsets remain very popular, and apart from the exceptions mentioned, most will be tweakable.

...and long may it continue :)   I'd settle for a netgear for the tweakable aspect, even if they don't perform as well as D-Links on my line.

When you look at thomson as a good example, they are ACTIVELY reducing the capability, as do, as you quite rightly state, most ISPs. Add to that the Buffalos, newer Lynksys, etc., etc., and it feels like the options for new-build tweakable stuff is reducing..maybe it is just a perception, and one I hope doesn't end up as a future reality :(

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »

YeeHaaa!!

after my foray into telnet t'other week, last night I had a sudden thought...wonder if I can now get routerstats running with my 2640B's v4.01 firmware ??

last year john (of routerstats fame) tried to enable a version of rs-lite to work with said fw, but unfortunately he couldn't get it to go. So, last night, armed with my newly-found telnet skills ( ;) ) I tried fiddling with the full version, and bingo !!! I now have it talking to my router and have access to both DMT (tweaked version for the 4.01 fw) AND the full version of Routerstats !!!

You gotta love this forum and the peeps on here :)

*** special thanks to eric for starting this thread off in the first place  ;D ***

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »

Well done with Routerstats, and thanks for the kind comment. :)
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3]